Seeking the B&W 801 Series 2 Mods by Van Alstine

Gopher

Seeking the B&W 801 Series 2 Mods by Van Alstine
« on: 28 Feb 2019, 03:04 pm »
Hi Frank,

I read in an older thread on Audio Karma that you had a detailed write up of your proposed mods to the B&W 801 Series 2 speakers which you were happy to share if anyone needed them.  I got the general jist of it, but wondered if you still had a copy of them you could share here at AC.   

I've got a pair of 801s I'm restoring and I'd love to incorporate your suggestions.

Thanks,

Fred A.

avahifi

Re: Seeking the B&W 801 Series 2 Mods by Van Alstine
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2019, 09:17 pm »
Yes, our B&W 801 Series 2 crossover fix plans are still available at no charge.

Just send me an email to frank@avahifi.com requesting them.  It includes board layout, schematic, simple parts list needed, and instructions.

The issue is the physical location of two big inductors located end to end that caused significant cross coupling. The issue was made worse by B&W adding a bass hump circuit to try and fix the cross coupling circuit issue they did not recognise.  We fixed both issues.  The only parts needed are two one ohm five watt resistors and a bunch of long heavy duty cable ties.

We still send the plans out often.  Our crossover fix makes a formidable improvement in these speakers. Well worth the effort to take our advice.

Note that this fix applies only to the 801 series 2 model.  We told B&W about it of course, and they fixed it themselves in later models.

Another big improvement can be made by driving them with our SET 400 power amplifier after the crossover fix is done.

Frank

Gopher

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2019, 09:22 pm »
Thanks so much, Frank!

I just dropped you an email.

Best,

Fred

Gopher

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2019, 08:40 pm »
Hi Frank,

Don't want to be a bother, but I didn't hear from you and just wanted to follow up and make sure my emails were going through. 

Thank you again!  Really cool service to the audiophile community!

Fred

avahifi

« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2019, 11:37 pm »
I thought I had sent the plans to you.

Email me a reminder at frank@avahifi.com

Frankv8

Gopher

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2019, 10:21 pm »
Emailed and PM'ed you back.   Any luck getting my messages?  I can try a different email address if not.

antti

« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2021, 02:15 pm »
Hello Frank and others!

I'm also interested in this crossover fix? Could I please get a copy as well ..?

I have already sent two requests to frank@avahifi.com, but have not received a response so far.

Best regards,

Antti

Mary

• Industry Participant
  • AVA Associate
« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2021, 06:03 pm »
Here is the B&W 801 Crossover Fix

avahifi

« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2021, 02:01 pm »
Email me at frank@avahifi.com for .pdf version and extra addendum page