Do I have an issue with my amp?

groovybassist

Do I have an issue with my amp?
« on: 17 Sep 2013, 11:29 pm »
I'm not much of an electronics guru, but was wondering if folks have some feedback on an issue I'm having.

I use an Aaron No.1.a integrated amp in my setup.  Yesterday, my system spontaneously started emitting a loud buzzing noise when no music was playing.  The amp was on, so I switched it to standby (there is no "off" on this amp - off is when the power cable is fully detached) and the buzz continued unabated.  Music seems to mask it, but the volume control has no effect on the buzzing when no music is playing.  I unplugged everything, plugged it all back in and it seemed fine, except that after two minutes or so, the buzz came back, reached it's prior volume and stayed there.  I've tried two different speakers, plugging into a power conditioner and directly into the wall, and removing all connections to the amp, except power cable and speaker cable, and it's still the same.  In addition, when unplugging the power cable from the wall or conditioner, I get a very loud thump through the speakers, which has never happened before.  One final note - I'm getting some signal bleed-through when the unit is fully muted (i.e. I can hear what's playing at a very low volume), which has also never happened before - this unit has always been dead quiet.

Any electronics wizards out there have any clues?  I expect it's going to need to be serviced.  As an FYI, I'm one of those folks whose equipment is powered up 100% of the time - may or may not factor in.

Thanks!

-Mike