Standmounts + Sub(s) or Three-way Speakers

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Standmounts + Sub(s) or Three-way Speakers
« Reply #20 on: 9 May 2018, 03:40 am »
@ Tyson, I think we're saying basically the same thing.

Actually I meant a 10 or 12 inch driver as the midrange driver.  Which is totally doable with a large AMT type tweeter that goes down 800hz or a tweeter in a waveguide.  That's your 2 way monitor.  Then a 15 inch subwoofer (or multiple 12's) for the bass.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #21 on: 9 May 2018, 03:51 am »
Ah, got it. Not a fan of that approach, however or 2 way horns with large woofers.  That approach sounds fine, but doesn't gave the potential for extraordinary soundstaging and imaging specificity as low diffraction speakers with better polar plots, imo. Large woofers going that high will beam.

Tyson

« Reply #22 on: 9 May 2018, 04:06 am »
Ah, got it. Not a fan of that approach, however or 2 way horns with large woofers.  That approach sounds fine, but doesn't gave the potential for extraordinary soundstaging and imaging specificity as low diffraction speakers with better polar plots, imo. Large woofers going that high will beam.

If you cross at 800hz beaming is lot less of an issue.  Having a tweeter that can run that low also has some pretty cool advantages from a sound quality standpoint.  I'm not a fan of "horn" speakers either.  But a tweeter like the Heil AMT used in the Spatial Audio X2 or the waveguide loaded tweeters used in the Geddes speakers or even the 2 inch open baffle used by Danny in the GR Research Super V, they all sound amazing and all image like crazy.  Mostly because they can all play down low enough to mate with a larger midrange driver before it starts beaming. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #23 on: 9 May 2018, 10:22 am »
Actually I meant a 10 or 12 inch driver as the midrange driver.  Which is totally doable with a large AMT type tweeter that goes down 800hz or a tweeter in a waveguide.  That's your 2 way monitor.  Then a 15 inch subwoofer (or multiple 12's) for the bass.

Like the idea of not losing mid/bass body like so many speakers do nowadays, but 800 Hz crossover and 10-12 inch midrange is going too far IMO (limits tweeter choices/output and larger drivers get away from my monitor ideal).  With a waveguide many tweeters can safely reach down to say 1,500 Hz and 6 - 8 inch drivers can easily reach that far up without loss of dispersion.  For high output designs compression tweeters and larger mid/woofer drivers would be needed.

Tyson

« Reply #24 on: 9 May 2018, 02:19 pm »
 :lol:
Like the idea of not losing mid/bass body like so many speakers do nowadays, but 800 Hz crossover and 10-12 inch midrange is going too far IMO (limits tweeter choices/output and larger drivers get away from my monitor ideal).  With a waveguide many tweeters can safely reach down to say 1,500 Hz and 6 - 8 inch drivers can easily reach that far up without loss of dispersion.  For high output designs compression tweeters and larger mid/woofer drivers would be needed.

Oh I know.... It's just that when you've heard as many 1 inch tweeter / 6 inch midrange speakers as I have, you get bored of their whole sound/presentation.   :lol: