Inexpensive UPS used with Well Tempered Classic

mgsboedmisodpc2

Inexpensive UPS used with Well Tempered Classic
« on: 3 Jan 2019, 07:46 pm »
I purchased a Line-interactive UPS Tripp Lite LS606M 600W 120V Power which monitors incoming voltage which boosting or decreasing voltage as needed to maintain 120 volts.  It seems the AC motor is affected by line noise which this UPS cleans up maybe not to the extent of a PS audio but it is an inexpensive option.  I have been reading about how power anomalies like sag/surge,Under/Over voltage, line noise, frequency variation, switching transient, harmonic distortion can affect an AC powered turntables performance and so decided to add this device.
Currently only my turntable is connected to the line interactive conditioner.  I do plan to connect other front end devices but I just wanted to observe any improvements heard. The UPS runs warm so I will turn it on only when using any device connected to it. Piano now seems much more stable and much more percussive detail can be heard from the lp.

Sound_Master

Re: Inexpensive UPS used with Well Tempered Classic
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2019, 08:02 am »
From what I know a line-interactive UPS generates a pseudo-sine wave, that is the output has a high degree of distortion, which is generally not what you want in audio devices. In contrast, the much more expansive online UPS provide pure sine wave output. They are still much cheaper than the corresponding audio regenerators. It is worth looking at online UPS with ultra-capacitors that are free of service. Lead batteries have to be replaced regularly.

Have you tried ac-line filters like the once from Schaffner etc.?

Cheers

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2019, 03:28 pm »
No I have not  but will look into ac-line filters.  I am looking to connect audio all components to line filters conditioners in the future but decided to keep it simple and use one with a turntable first to observe any improvements.

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2019, 03:57 pm »
Quite a bit of information out there I am working thru.
As far as your recommendation I found this bit of info and I quote

"All UPS's in a questionable power area should be of the double conversion type, line interactive's cannot respond to some transient voltages well enough, also, most UPS's along with 'line conditioners' use MOV's for spike protection.  They work, they do what they are supposed to do, except, they only do it ONCE, especially if it a large spike.  At that point the MOV's need to be replaced, with a line conditioner, you just throw out the spent unit, and put in a new one, for a UPS, you need to have it repaired."

toocool4

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2019, 09:31 am »
I don’t think you can do this job too cheaply and you have to spend some money but not an arm and a leg price. I do believe double conversion is the way to go. I use an Emerson Liebert GXT4 3000VA / 2700W UPS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI0_b0X4KXk

I wrote about it here https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=152774.0

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2019, 08:10 pm »
So I guess I will be on the look out for second hand PS Audio Power Plant Premier but then again the MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure) of Double-conversion ups increases as the battery ages and so new batteries would be an additional cost.

The cheapest "Online Double Conversion Sine wave" where "the batteries always connected to the inverter, so it has zero transfer time (the in-line makes that chirp sound when it changes the transformer tap)" that I have found is the "OPTI-UPS DS1500B (1500VA/1050W) Online Double Conversion Sinewave UPS 6 Outlets."

here is an interesting Quote on this subject

"I have both … a P20 regenerator as well a 3Kva double conversion “pure sine” UPS.
The UPS can be set in “bypass mode” (or where it basically feeds from the grid; with a 10 or 20ms changeover should the mains fail); OR in double conversion (online) mode, thus feeding my P20 via batteries 24/7.
So here’s the thing: P20’s own “power improvement meter” reports less of an improvement when fed in double conversion (battery) mode.
So there is no doubt in my mind that a decent double conversion UPS improves the power quality to some extent but nowhere near the level of control and improvement of the P20.
PaulCEO PS Audio"d

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jan 2019, 09:08 pm »
and here are some negatives about DOUBLE Conversion online UPS
"Things to watch out for:
• Double-conversion on-line contains more components that run continuously at higher
temperatures and, with all other things being equal, have less service life than similar
parts found in line-interactive.
• Double-conversion on-line uses more electricity than line-interactive because it is continuously
converting and reconverting power from the input to the output when AC input
is present.
• Double-conversion on-line creates more heat that is released into the IT environment.
This heat must be effectively removed to reduce life-degrading effects on other systems
and even on the UPS’ own batteries. "

toocool4

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jan 2019, 09:59 pm »
Yes you are correct my regenerative power conditioner eats more power as it’s on all the time, in fact just looked at it and it’s been on for 456 days 3 hours and 31 minutes. Yes my electric bill has gone up, but the system sounds fantastic.
Yes it does run hot, well it’s like having a Class A amp running all the time.
Yes you will need to replace the battery at some point. I look at the battery the same way I look at my cartridge, they are both on borrowed time and will have to be replaced at some point.

For me it's worth having and i would not be without it now, it's the best cheapest upgrade i have done to my setup. :thumb:

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jul 2019, 04:18 am »
NYC was very hot over the weekend and the BOOST light of my Tripp Lite LS606M 600W came on because ConEd lowered the voltage

Meles

« Reply #9 on: 26 Aug 2019, 06:55 pm »
Had used AC line inverter for years with huge marine battery, but got sick of replacing huge and expensive marine battery. Noticed that the table sounded very good while charging the battery. So when battery bit the dust yet again went with APC ES750 I had on hand with battery outlets. Never compared, but sounded really good. Friend with very high end Basis setup got one as well. Have auditioned older (but expensive) VPI supply and it beat it. My friend with the basis had some kind of unobtanium power supply considered better than the Walker Precision Motor Controller and he preferred the APC as well over the $5000 unit stating the APC was more musically and better with strings. I've got a friend with top of the line Nottingham and I'm going to take the APC on tour once again. Hard to beat and was less than $100. Battery still goes bad every three years, but $20 is much better than $200 and a back ache. :cry: I'm sure used APC's in need of battery are often on ebay. Never tried any of their lower voltage or higher voltage units.