World Cup 2018

Delacroix

Re: World Cup 2018
« Reply #40 on: 2 Jul 2018, 06:33 pm »
This is an amazing chance for England to make a real impression....of course, their history suggests they'll mess it up but the gods of the draw have been kind to them. Spain's departure is giving everyone there optimism, so cue a disaster shortly, LOL.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #41 on: 2 Jul 2018, 07:57 pm »
Don’t know much about soccer, other than put the ball in the net, but I’ve been thoroughly enjoying the World Cup thus far. Japan/Belgium was just awesome right now. That last goal by Belgium was like an NBA fast break. Wish more teams played aggressive like these two just did.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #42 on: 2 Jul 2018, 08:42 pm »
Don’t know much about soccer, other than put the ball in the net, but I’ve been thoroughly enjoying the World Cup thus far. Japan/Belgium was just awesome right now. That last goal by Belgium was like an NBA fast break. Wish more teams played aggressive like these two just did.

Agreed! coming back from 2:0 was a pure class from the Belgians.  Brazil will have tough time beating this team now.

Delacroix

« Reply #43 on: 2 Jul 2018, 08:47 pm »
Excellent game....Japan played well and made the Belgians really work for it - that last goal was some move, at first I was disappointed at missing the chance of extra time, did not want game to end. But this is why we love the game.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #44 on: 2 Jul 2018, 09:08 pm »
Japan deserved a better fate.

I fear the actual Final may be a letdown, given what's already transpired - France/Argentina, and today's Belgium debacle were superbly played. May it continue.... :popcorn:

Art_Chicago

« Reply #45 on: 3 Jul 2018, 07:05 pm »
Today is pretty boring so far.  Hope either England or Columbia steps up

Ron D

« Reply #46 on: 3 Jul 2018, 08:25 pm »
England were ahead 1-0 until 3 minutes into stoppage time when Colombia tied it up. Into extra time we go!

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #47 on: 3 Jul 2018, 10:23 pm »
England!!!!

Mudslide

« Reply #48 on: 3 Jul 2018, 11:00 pm »
England!!!!

I believe the boys were taking lessons from Shakespeare.  ...  Or Neymar.   :lol:  An out of control game, IMO.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #49 on: 3 Jul 2018, 11:05 pm »
It got a touch ugly...too much play acting, for sure.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #50 on: 4 Jul 2018, 01:25 am »
If you haven't seen this play, or even if you can't stand soccer, check out this header-goal from Belgium yesterday. This will be on sports highlight reels for decades to come.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4NfyPeDcPU

rbbert

« Reply #51 on: 4 Jul 2018, 12:19 pm »
Today is pretty boring so far.  Hope either England or Columbia steps up
??

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #52 on: 4 Jul 2018, 01:22 pm »
??
Not enough touchdowns, I reckon. Or maybe not enough commercial breaks? No cheerleaders? Whatever was boring Art, escaped my notice. Large number of yellow cards and shots on goal, great goalkeeping on both sides. Admittedly it was only a very good game until Mina headed his goal in with mere seconds left on the clock - - - from that point forth, it was magnificent.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #53 on: 4 Jul 2018, 01:25 pm »
If you haven't seen this play, or even if you can't stand soccer, check out this header-goal from Belgium yesterday. This will be on sports highlight reels for decades to come.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4NfyPeDcPU

That was incredible. Even if it was intended to be a pass or setup I’m sure he told everybody “I totally meant that!” 

Doublej

« Reply #54 on: 4 Jul 2018, 01:47 pm »
It's heartening to see there are still gentlemanly sports where good manners count. 

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #55 on: 4 Jul 2018, 01:50 pm »
It's heartening to see there are still gentlemanly sports where good manners count.

I saw this yesterday...

https://people.com/sports/japan-cleans-locker-room-leaves-thank-you-note-world-cup-loss/

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #56 on: 4 Jul 2018, 07:15 pm »
That was incredible. Even if it was intended to be a pass or setup I’m sure he told everybody “I totally meant that!”

He did mean it. Check out the shot in this video. Start at about 15 seconds and watch him at 16 seconds. Just keep clicking that 15-second spot, over and over. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2ZToI-p8GA

It's a legitimate shot on goal.  :o

Art_Chicago

« Reply #57 on: 5 Jul 2018, 02:33 am »
Not enough touchdowns, I reckon. Or maybe not enough commercial breaks? No cheerleaders? Whatever was boring Art, escaped my notice. Large number of yellow cards and shots on goal, great goalkeeping on both sides. Admittedly it was only a very good game until Mina headed his goal in with mere seconds left on the clock - - - from that point forth, it was magnificent.

what is a touchdown??

Anyway the first half of the England-Columbia game was as good as the Sweden-Switzerland game that took place earlier that day (and that is when i posted it) 

Swe-Swi game should have ended zero-zero, and if the penalty kicks score were 0-0 it would not surprise me :D

Kane acted nicely to get the PK for England, and it was quite entertaining.

Now England is facing Sweden in 1/4 and that is going to be even more boring...

The blockbusters are coming up on Friday, though. Any of these two games should have been a final.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #58 on: 6 Jul 2018, 08:27 pm »
Brazil is out! What a game!

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #59 on: 6 Jul 2018, 09:44 pm »
Brazil is out! What a game!
Great game, indeed! Now the western hemisphere has been completely eliminated. Of the remaining 6, Russia is the only team not in Europe. I was going to say, "in the EU" but then I remembered Brexit.