Tekton vs Hoyt Bedford

20q

Tekton vs Hoyt Bedford
« on: 28 Jun 2011, 08:57 pm »
I imagine this is in a lot of ways the eminence driver compared to the custom paper hoyt driver. All thoughts appreciated, even if it's just a hunch on how they might compare to one another.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Tekton vs Hoyt Bedford
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2011, 12:18 am »
From an outsiders viewpoint:

Depends on which Tekton and which Hoyt Bedford.  Most Tektons are multi-driver designs while Omegas are strictly single driver designs.  Even though the Lori/Mini-Lori is touted as a single driver, that Eminence driver crosses over very low (too low IMO to be counted as a single driver design).

The Omegas have vastly superior cabinetry (soft wood MDF with hardwood laminated front and rear baffles, phenolic sheet with real veneers, ladder bracing, brass screws with zinc inserts, custom damping, grills with magnetic mounts).  As a woodworker, Louis' workmanship is stellar and you should expect the cabinetry to be outstanding.

I'd guess, based on how fussy Louis is, that the Hoyt driver is amazing and a great value.

Prices for Mini Lore with veneer vs. Hoyt Type 1 with stands or Lore with veneer vs. Hoyt Type 2 are very close.

sebrof

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2011, 09:48 am »
From an outsiders viewpoint:

Depends on which Tekton and which Hoyt Bedford.  Most Tektons are multi-driver designs while Omegas are strictly single driver designs.  Even though the Lori/Mini-Lori is touted as a single driver, that Eminence driver crosses over very low (too low IMO to be counted as a single driver design).

JLM - I believe the Lore main driver is run full range, with a low block filter before the tweeter only.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2011, 05:27 pm »
I've heard them both and decided that the Lore is a better sounding speaker.

Did you hear them on the same system with a speaker switch box so you could rate them accurately?

Jolly

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2011, 06:12 pm »
 I auditioned the Hoyt Bedford Type 1 and it is a terrific speaker and an unbelievable bargain at $795.. I have never heard the Lores, but I used to own a pair of Tekton 4.5wb's which were very nice speakers, especially for around $500. for the upgraded version, but the Hoyt Bedford Type 1's were clearly superior. They sound bigger, they should 8" driver vs. 4"or 4.5", and have better PRAT and overall musicality. I couldn't believe the Hoyt Bedford Type 1's cost only $795.. after hearing them. They sound like they should cost three times as much.

chrisby

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2011, 06:41 pm »
I auditioned the Hoyt Bedford Type 1 and it is a terrific speaker and an unbelievable bargain at $795.. I have never heard the Lores, but I used to own a pair of Tekton 4.5wb's which were very nice speakers, especially for around $500. for the upgraded version, but the Hoyt Bedford Type 1's were clearly superior. They sound bigger, they should 8" driver vs. 4"or 4.5", and have better PRAT and overall musicality. I couldn't believe the Hoyt Bedford Type 1's cost only $795.. after hearing them. They sound like they should cost three times as much.

sshhh! - even if impending magnetic materials pricing increases don't get us all by the short and curlies,  such silly talk might get back to the marketers   :lol:

Jolly

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2011, 07:54 pm »
  I am giving my honest opinion which if you heard both speakers you might diagreee with, but it is certainly not "silly", however making a comment on speakers you have most likely never heard would qualify as silly.

ebag4

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2011, 07:57 pm »
  I am giving my honest opinion which if you heard both speakers you might diagreee with, but it is certainly not "silly", however making a comment on speakers you have most likely never heard would qualify as silly.
I think you have mis-read/mis-interpreted Chis' post, check again.

Best,
Ed

Jolly

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jun 2011, 08:21 pm »
  If I did I certainly apologize, but the last sentence of my post that was highlighted leads me to believe I didn't.

Scottmoose

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jun 2011, 09:47 pm »
It's called irony. ;) Granted, this is mostly a British trait (indulge us -it's about the only thing we're still any good at), but Chris has been practicing the art for some years now. What he was doing was humorously suggesting that you shouldn't shout about the HB speakers too loudly lest it causes Louis to rethink his pricing.

chrisby

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jun 2011, 10:16 pm »
It's called irony. ;) Granted, this is mostly a British trait (indulge us -it's about the only thing we're still any good at), but Chris has been practicing the art for some years now. What he was doing was humorously suggesting that you shouldn't shout about the HB speakers too loudly lest it causes Louis to rethink his pricing.

bingo

(there's just enough brit ish ness ) on me mum's side to qualify,  but I'll be damned if I can manage a spoken brogue thick enough to not be understood 

Jolly - no apology necessary

As to the speakers themselves, it's so long since I've heard any of Louis'   ( circa 2003) that he was still using stock Fostex, and I have no experience with Tekton designs other than a prototype of that interesting small dual driver OB contraption (also using FE127E) .  Those I'm quite familiar with, but can only imagine what any of either of their current designs would be like. 

Poultrygeist

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jul 2011, 08:22 pm »
"Small dual driver OB contraption"  :lol:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #12 on: 4 Jul 2011, 08:30 pm »
I thought this was the single driver circle. The Lore's  appear to be 2 ways. Does the tweeter function as a supertweeter on just like a standard tweeter? There's not much info on the Tekton websight.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #13 on: 4 Jul 2011, 09:09 pm »
The Lore has a 10 in driver without a crossover on the driver. It does have a helper tweeter :o ) with a filter on it at 4k.
It's considered a wide-bandwidth speaker with a tweeter. The administrator allows this type of speaker on this circle.

Not if you read this: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=69773.0

While looking at this response graph:  http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Legend_B102.pdf

Lin
PS Shocked smiley added by me.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #14 on: 4 Jul 2011, 09:38 pm »
Not if you read this: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=69773.0

While looking at this response graph:  http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Legend_B102.pdf

Lin
PS Shocked smiley added by me.

Yes, it looks to be more than a "helper" tweeter to me :roll:. The Eminence driver rolls off heavily after 4K.
I'm not sure but a true full range driver should not start to heavily roll off before 10K, at the least.

chrisby

« Reply #15 on: 4 Jul 2011, 09:47 pm »
"Small dual driver OB contraption"  :lol:

looks like he's switched to FE126E, for at least the OB driver - the original plans I got from him a couple of years ago for playing with a DIY build spec'd 127s

This is an interesting sounding little rig, but once again confirmation that even a small OB is not practical for some rooms  (i.e. any of mine available - WAF, etc),  and they certainly would benefit from some help in the bottom end to flesh out the scale of their sound-stage and dynamics.

The Lores might well sound quite delightful, and many of us have experimented with wide-band drivers with extended and smooth enough high end roll off to obviate the need for LP fiters, but I think an XO point of 4K or so is stretching the definition by at least a full octave. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #16 on: 5 Jul 2011, 12:43 am »
I've heard several variants of the Hawthrone coaxial in small/no baffle and they amazed me with the full/deep bass.  The dispersion at crossover between the woofer and tweeter is it's only real weak point (if you accept dipole presentation).  The 10 inch units pretty much solves the dispersion issue but at the cost of loss of 40 - 50 Hz).  The better drivers add resolution.  The drivers are efficient and well made.

I'd call the Lore/Mini-Lore as a "semi 2-way" as it "crosses" too low to be a legitimate extended range design but only uses a cap to protect the tweeter from going too low.