2 scrap heap 12 inch twin cone drivers : fantastic sound.....why?

zygadr

Found a foldback wedge(on verge of house ready for council pick up) with two Australian made Etone 246 drivers in them. They are in perfect working condition.From memory, they sold for around $250 each and are 93-95db efficient.
They have very large magnets and massive cast aluminium frames. Voice coil apperas to be around 2 inches and the surround is pleated cloth.

It took quite a while to dust them off and remove cobwebs etc. Looks like they were kept in someone's garage for quite some time as these speakers have not been made for at least 15 years.

Anyhow, I have just placed them standing(supported) upright in front of open cardboard boxes to kill the rear wave cancellation somewhat.

Sound?..............incredible to say the least. There is plenty of top end information which has surprised the heck out of me!
Naturally they sound big and cohesive - what you'd expect from a full range (?) driver.

After a while, connected to my low power 845SE valve amplifier, you just forget about the speakers and get lost in the sound.
Sweeeeeeeet!

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Pictures?

dave

zygadr

AK

• twisterspeakers
Top end information is just a cone resonance, which happened to be pleasing to your ears.
Apparently that's what all full range fans looking for, a driver with pleasing tone. And you have found your driver.

zygadr

Hi AK.
You are most likely correct.They do have a very good tone for what were essentially sound reinforcement loudspeakers.
If memory serves me correctly, the cones, voice coils were imported from the U.S. and the baskets and magnet structure made in Australia all the way back in the 70's.

I also have some Australian Magnavox 12 inch twincone drivers with 1 inch voice coils, but very tiny magnets and soft paper cones.
These have virtually no top end at all.

Just goes to show that design can play a big part in the end result of a full range/wide range driver.