Introducing the MCP-18 Audiophile Multichannel Preamp

John Casler

Most knew it was coming, but it crept up on us.

The NuFORCE MCP-18 MultiChannel Preamp is now shipping

TAKE A LOOK HERE

List price is $995

Includes XLR input and outputs

sac8d4

Re: Introducing the MCP-18 Audiophile Multichannel Preamp
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2013, 11:22 pm »
It appears it is not available yet on from Nuforce's estore. I would like place an order. I would like to apply the 20% discount, as I am a current owner of the AVP-17.

North Star

• "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2013, 11:27 pm »
This is totally awesome! ...And strictly analog too!  8) 
...Perfect for a hi-end stereo rig and a hi-end multichannel surround sound system using a hi-end Blu-ray player like the Oppo BDP-105.

And here you don't have any video and digital contamination!

Beats anything out there this side of the Pacific (and Atlantic) ocean!

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 3 Aug 2013, 11:33 pm »
Exactly. . . :thumb:

North Star

« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2013, 11:37 pm »
...And no phono preamp contamination either!
And no headphone amp contamination either!
And no Ethernet contamination! ...Not even a possible USB contaminator culprit!

This is simply the perfect analog stereo/multichannel preamp for serious people!

P.S. Where do I apply for the job?   :wink::green:

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 3 Aug 2013, 11:47 pm »
...And no phono preamp contamination either!
And no headphone amp contamination either!
And no Ethernet contamination! ...Not even a possible USB contaminator culprit!

This is simply the perfect analog stereo/multichannel preamp for serious people!

P.S. Where do I apply for the job?   :wink::green:

What job would you like?   :scratch:

North Star

« Reply #6 on: 3 Aug 2013, 11:55 pm »
What job would you like?   :scratch:

I was just kidding; I don't wanna work for nobody, ever!  :green:

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 4 Aug 2013, 12:53 am »
Wow - great price too.  Looks like a much better version than the old Sony TA-P9000ES with extra inputs (including balanced) and balanced outs too.  I never understood why a product like this wasn't put out.  I sold my Sony TA-P9000ES many after buying it for $450 for not a whole lot less than the list price of this and had people fighting over it.

srb

« Reply #8 on: 4 Aug 2013, 01:25 am »
I never understood why a product like this wasn't put out.

There was, the Parasound Halo P7 preamp has been out for a number of years.  Although it has some nice additional features (analog bass management among others), perhaps its (2X) MSRP of $2K was just too high for the intended market?

Steve

John Casler

« Reply #9 on: 4 Aug 2013, 01:31 am »
It appears it is not available yet on from Nuforce's estore. I would like place an order. I would like to apply the 20% discount, as I am a current owner of the AVP-17.

PM sent.

munosmario

« Reply #10 on: 4 Aug 2013, 01:34 am »
A great piece of AV equipment provided there is a typo  in the link's published "output impedance" specification: 47K ohms is  way to large. At the recommended prudent minimum 10X1 ratio between power amp and pre impedance, if correct, that spec would mean required amplifier input impedance of at least  470k ohms!!!

I am sure there is a typo since all other NuForce preamps have 100 ohms output impedance.

Mario

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #11 on: 4 Aug 2013, 04:33 am »
Wow.

I would have guessed $3k.  That's a steal under $1k if performance is good.  I think they almost have to work to screw up a plain old line stage these days. 

North Star

« Reply #12 on: 4 Aug 2013, 06:07 am »
Numerically Controlled Volume Control; ...I've got to smile a little here.  :D

John Casler

« Reply #13 on: 4 Aug 2013, 02:25 pm »
Wow.

I would have guessed $3k.  That's a steal under $1k if performance is good.  I think they almost have to work to screw up a plain old line stage these days.

Jim,  this and the AVP-18 are what I was referring to when you were looking for something like this, but the MCP-18 was not available at the time.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 4 Aug 2013, 03:41 pm »
Jim,  this and the AVP-18 are what I was referring to when you were looking for something like this, but the MCP-18 was not available at the time.

Thanks! Looks like the perfect complement for a Trinaural based system, allowing (I presume) remote adjustment of Center Ch and Bass level. 

There is a great recent discussion at DIYAudio, in which myself, Lynn Olson, and possibly another agreed that C Ch trim is critical with a proper 3-ch system.  Conversely, Trinaural inventor Bongiorno sternly instructs users to set and forget C Ch level.  On this point, I can only presume the late Brian Cheney would have preferred remote C Ch trim.  This is based on the fact that, IIRC, he never ceased making C Ch trim adjustments on the Trinaural faceplate the year he displayed it at CES and Trinaural won Best of High End Award.  I'd go so far as to say I'd switch back to measly stereo if I had to go without remote C Ch trim, and that's saying a lot because properly setup Trinaural kills stereo.   

Does this allow for remote channel trim?  Range?  Volume steps (I can live with 1 dB).

Trinaural system setup allowing C Ch (and Bass trim if subs present, which should be) looks like this:
Source stereo analog output > Trinaural 3.0 or 3.1 output > NuForce MCP-18 with remote ch trim > power amps including sub amps if present.

Whereas, "normal" (what I'd call inadequate) Trinaural setup looks like this:
Source stereo analog output > stereo preamp > Trinural 3.0/3.1 output > power amps including subs if present.

I know, it may seem like too much hassle to trim C Ch depending on software.  You won't think so if you hear it.  Most times you can set it once per album.  Albums with wide variety of recording venues might require separate setting per track. 

It's worth it.

As per every preamp with which I've tried this, I can not more highly recommend shorting every single open unused input on this lovely new NuForce preamp.

IIRC, twenty years ago Steve McCormack's MAP-1 had only six unbalanced channels with $2500 MSRP. 

John Casler

« Reply #15 on: 4 Aug 2013, 10:00 pm »
Thanks! Looks like the perfect complement for a Trinaural based system, allowing (I presume) remote adjustment of Center Ch and Bass level. 

Yes, the MCP-18 has individual and remote adjustment to "all" channels, including the sub (.1) channel.

There is a great recent discussion at DIYAudio, in which myself, Lynn Olson, and possibly another agreed that C Ch trim is critical with a proper 3-ch system.  Conversely, Trinaural inventor Bongiorno sternly instructs users to set and forget C Ch level.  On this point, I can only presume the late Brian Cheney would have preferred remote C Ch trim.  This is based on the fact that, IIRC, he never ceased making C Ch trim adjustments on the Trinaural faceplate the year he displayed it at CES and Trinaural won Best of High End Award.  I'd go so far as to say I'd switch back to measly stereo if I had to go without remote C Ch trim, and that's saying a lot because properly setup Trinaural kills stereo.   

Does this allow for remote channel trim?  Range?  Volume steps (I can live with 1 dB).

Yes. it does over the full range of the channel in what appear to be 1dB steps, thus the term numerically controlled volume.

Trinaural system setup allowing C Ch (and Bass trim if subs present, which should be) looks like this:
Source stereo analog output > Trinaural 3.0 or 3.1 output > NuForce MCP-18 with remote ch trim > power amps including sub amps if present.

Whereas, "normal" (what I'd call inadequate) Trinaural setup looks like this:
Source stereo analog output > stereo preamp > Trinural 3.0/3.1 output > power amps including subs if present.

I know, it may seem like too much hassle to trim C Ch depending on software.  You won't think so if you hear it.  Most times you can set it once per album.  Albums with wide variety of recording venues might require separate setting per track. 

It's worth it.

As per every preamp with which I've tried this, I can not more highly recommend shorting every single open unused input on this lovely new NuForce preamp.

IIRC, twenty years ago Steve McCormack's MAP-1 had only six unbalanced channels with $2500 MSRP.

Yes, the old SONY, and Steve's MAP-1 were early attempts at this type of component.

The remote shown on the website, is actually the AVP-18 remote, which also has a section to control the MCP-18.

I believe the MCP-18 also comes with its own mini-remote (I have one with mine) that allows you to select the individual channels and adjust the trim on each.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 4 Aug 2013, 10:51 pm »
Prior to having a remote preamp with known dB steps, I presumed .5 dB was the largest acceptable step size.  Now I have several years experience with a preamp having two step sizes, 1 dB in the analog domain and .5 dB in the digital domain. 

I now think 1 dB step size is fine and not too large, though larger step size is unacceptable.  Ayre just released a $10k integrated with steps larger than 1 dB, 1.5 dB IIRC.

For the cost I presume this new NuForce is made in Asia...if this is made in the USA the price is even more remarkable.       

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #17 on: 5 Aug 2013, 05:48 pm »
Nice! Where was this ten years ago after Sony stupidly killed the TA-P9000ES?  I was fortunate to get one of the TA-Ps before they disappeared, and my only complaint is that it only has two active inputs.  Looks like the MCP-18 has five: two 7.1, two stereo, one balanced stereo.

I may have to put one of these on my list for 2014.

Russ

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 5 Aug 2013, 05:56 pm »
Yeah, the more you lean about this thing the better it looks.  I'll have to hear it at the first opportunity. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #19 on: 5 Aug 2013, 06:29 pm »
John,

Questions for you.

If the multichannel single ended inputs are chosen (let's say with an Oppo BDP 95 as a source) are both the multichannel XLR outputs and single ended RCA outputs useable at the same time? Or must one choose either balanced or single ended outputs? Is the +/- trim available for EACH output separately?

Thanks,
Anand.