X-statik amplifier recommendations

aricml

X-statik amplifier recommendations
« on: 20 Feb 2023, 02:54 pm »
I am hoping that someone here in this thread may have some advice for me on amplifiers to mate with a pair of x-statiks.  I am currently building the room that I will use for listening which will be about 15' by 20' and just under 8' tall.  I will have the freedom to set up up and treat the room mostly however I would like.  I intend to pair the X-statiks with two Rhythmik F12 subwoofers and am looking for any advice on amp pairings with those speakers. 

I listen to a lot of different music, with indie rock and electronic being probably the most common and I intend to stream (via Bluesound Node) or play CDs, I'm not really interested in vinyl.  I am looking to spend in the $1-2000 range on an amplifier and am open to either tube or solid state.  My friend has a Primaluna EVO 300 I have heard on the speakers and I liked how that sounded, so saving a bit more to get one of those used is not out of the question, but I'd love to know if there are other options I should be looking into.  I have read good reviews on the LSA VT-70, and on paper that looks like it could be a good match.  I have also heard my friend's Lyngdorf TDAI series integrated amp which I really enjoyed the low noise floor of.  I do not need to go with an integrated amp though as I already own a Freya+ preamp I can use in the chain.

Has anyone had great luck getting a warm sound with a wide soundstage from their X-statiks?  It's most important to me that it be easy to listen to without harshness on the high notes, and my second priority would be getting a set up where I can really hear where the different instruments are coming from.  Thank you for any advice you can offer!

Vince in TX

Re: X-statik amplifier recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2023, 03:30 pm »
I had Klaus at Odyssey Audio build a custom Kismet amp optimized for my X-Statics.   He also did a matching one-channel amp for my center channel.   No complaints!

Side note, how many hours do you have on your X-Statics?  My X-On Walls were really harsh until I had a hundred plus hours on them.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2023, 04:07 pm »
In your price range, the best amps I've heard are the Odyssey Stratos/Kismet amps.  For more $$ you can move up to Pass or Esoteric.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2023, 08:59 pm »
My X-Statics have been very easy to match.  Most anything with a dozen watts or more...
If you could find one of Folsom's kits built out for a 5-6 hundred.  Then look at a gillion 6bq7/EL84 designs. 
I know  guy that has a very nice pair of mono amps modified from old Heath Kits that could probably be had for $750- 800
Find an Eico HF-81 that's been rebuilt for under a thousand.  Lots of good choices. 

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2023, 12:48 am »
I’ve found the Statiks sound best with more power.  They’ll be fine with 20-80 watts but I feel like they really open up with 100-300 watts. 

In your price range there are a lot of choices.  You could try a Schiit Vidar which is 100 watts per channel.  But for more money the Schiit Tyr amps really bring out the magic of the Statiks.  Tube amps will bring out more warmth but have other issues.

aricml

« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2023, 01:39 pm »
I really appreciate all the advice!  I will be going to Axpona this year so can at least get some level of familiarity with a few of the brands suggested.

In your price range, the best amps I've heard are the Odyssey Stratos/Kismet amps.  For more $$ you can move up to Pass or Esoteric.

I definitely will look into Odyssey as I keep seeing them come up when lurking around here.  As far as Pass, I have seen the used 3 or 5 channel X3 and X5 amps on hifishark. I would imagine on an X3 for example, I could simply ignore one channel and use that as a stereo amp.  Are there other models you would recommend keeping an eye out for?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2023, 03:04 pm »
I’ve found the Statiks sound best with more power.  They’ll be fine with 20-80 watts but I feel like they really open up with 100-300 watts. 

In your price range there are a lot of choices.  You could try a Schiit Vidar which is 100 watts per channel.  But for more money the Schiit Tyr amps really bring out the magic of the Statiks.  Tube amps will bring out more warmth but have other issues.
I have a couple of amps that are 150-200 watts and are of good/excellent quality.  I don't find them better than amps in the 30-50 watt range.  But my ears are pretty old, and Corndog may be on to something.   :thumb:

JustPlainNuts

« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2024, 05:48 pm »
Love this thread topic. I am wondering if anyone has an opinion of the Parasound Halo A51 5-channel amp? I have a home theater build coming soon and will have 3 of the X-statik speakers up front as LCRs behind an acoustically transparent screen. I have been looking at 3 and 5 channel amps to drive these speakers. Suggestions?

Glady86

« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2024, 08:41 pm »
I have Odyssey mono Extreme with some upgraded capacitors and resistors. And also just purchased a PrimaLuna Prologue 5 for a good price. The Odyssey amps mate well with the NXOticas I own and a good choice for bang for the buck.

The PrimaLuna amps with stock tubes sounded good but didn’t blow my mind or anything. I replaced the stock tubes with Pinnacle 13D5a (12au7 variant) GE 5751 and GoldLion KT88. Now it blows my mind. :icon_surprised:

Also I added some more room treatment’s at about the same time I got the amp. Gik acoustics Polyfusers, so that’s part of the improvement.

I had the NXOticas hooked up to an old Parasound HCA-806 in bridged mode with fine results so I’m sure the higher end Parasounds would work great.

jbetanc

« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2024, 09:46 pm »
Hi, over the weekend I first tried them to a Decware Torii MK4, not impressed, then I tried a Will Vincent Dynaco, a little better, but still not that impressed, so I hooked them up to an Emotiva XPA-2 and they sounded great, at first I only had them about 7 feet apart, so I put them about 11 feet apart and they sound really good, and these are stock X-staik speakers.

mkrawcz

« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2024, 10:23 pm »
Love this thread topic. I am wondering if anyone has an opinion of the Parasound Halo A51 5-channel amp? I have a home theater build coming soon and will have 3 of the X-statik speakers up front as LCRs behind an acoustically transparent screen. I have been looking at 3 and 5 channel amps to drive these speakers. Suggestions?
I had Parasound JC1 Monos (first gen) and a A21 in the past and I thought they weren’t much of an improvement over an Emotiva XPA2 yet cost way more. I have not heard the newer plus models though.

Glady86

« Reply #11 on: 15 Feb 2024, 10:47 pm »
The Emotiva amp looks like a good one to try. I don’t think there’s big differences in well designed SS amps anyway.

ford1215

« Reply #12 on: 16 Feb 2024, 04:27 am »
I know I'm a noob here, but I have been using Kismet mono for about 3 to 4 years. Hooked to LSA Statement floostanders. Before that I had an Outlaw Audio 5 channel amp. The Odyssey Kismet has far more body and soul.  Music is as it should sound. Better amps... yes. But for the price and quality, I love mine.

Glady86

« Reply #13 on: 16 Feb 2024, 03:36 pm »
I know I'm a noob here, but I have been using Kismet mono for about 3 to 4 years. Hooked to LSA Statement floostanders. Before that I had an Outlaw Audio 5 channel amp. The Odyssey Kismet has far more body and soul.  Music is as it should sound. Better amps... yes. But for the price and quality, I love mine.

I almost bought a used pair of Kismet monos. I never heard anything but praise for Odyssey amps, an easy recommendation. The only thing that might be an issue for some, is needing to keep them on all the time for best sound quality.

I’ve owned Stratos monos and Symphonic Line Die Erleuchtung preamp for almost 20 years.

Vince in TX

« Reply #14 on: 17 Feb 2024, 03:27 am »
I almost bought a used pair of Kismet monos. I never heard anything but praise for Odyssey amps, an easy recommendation. The only thing that might be an issue for some, is needing to keep them on all the time for best sound quality.

Here I am over a year later with my Kismets, and I have never once turned them off (except for the occasional power outage, but with a whole home backup generator, that only lasts about 30 seconds at most).    :thumb:

Glady86

« Reply #15 on: 17 Feb 2024, 08:14 am »
Here I am over a year later with my Kismets, and I have never once turned them off (except for the occasional power outage, but with a whole home backup generator, that only lasts about 30 seconds at most).    :thumb:

I had no issues with keeping them on, just a certain person in n my home would occasionally notice those blue lights on when I wasn’t playing them and then fuss me and lecture me about wasting electricity. I thought about unhooking the lights, but they look cool. :nono:  :scratch:

KTS

« Reply #16 on: 19 Feb 2024, 02:03 am »
I am hoping that someone here in this thread may have some advice for me on amplifiers to mate with a pair of x-statiks.  I am currently building the room that I will use for listening which will be about 15' by 20' and just under 8' tall.  I will have the freedom to set up up and treat the room mostly however I would like.  I intend to pair the X-statiks with two Rhythmik F12 subwoofers and am looking for any advice on amp pairings with those speakers. 

I listen to a lot of different music, with indie rock and electronic being probably the most common and I intend to stream (via Bluesound Node) or play CDs, I'm not really interested in vinyl.  I am looking to spend in the $1-2000 range on an amplifier and am open to either tube or solid state.  My friend has a Primaluna EVO 300 I have heard on the speakers and I liked how that sounded, so saving a bit more to get one of those used is not out of the question, but I'd love to know if there are other options I should be looking into.  I have read good reviews on the LSA VT-70, and on paper that looks like it could be a good match.  I have also heard my friend's Lyngdorf TDAI series integrated amp which I really enjoyed the low noise floor of.  I do not

need to go with an integrated amp though as I already own a Freya+ preamp I can use in the chain.

Has anyone had great luck getting a warm sound with a wide soundstage from their X-statiks?  It's most important to me that it be easy to listen to without harshness on the high notes, and my second priority would be getting a set up where I can really hear where the different instruments are coming from.  Thank you for any advice you can offer!

I have been running an Aleph J with the Freya+ it is a wonderful combo, and with the high sensitivity you have it could be something to look into. I am running NX Studios with OB subs.

Thank you, Kelly

aricml

« Reply #17 on: 19 Feb 2024, 03:00 pm »
I'm curious if anyone else has experience with the X-statiks and other moderate power tube amps (perhaps 20-35 watts per channel)?  It would be great to hear about other pairings that worked well, and just as interesting to hear about pairings that didn't go so great.

Vince in TX

« Reply #18 on: 19 Feb 2024, 04:00 pm »
I had no issues with keeping them on, just a certain person in n my home would occasionally notice those blue lights on when I wasn’t playing them and then fuss me and lecture me about wasting electricity. I thought about unhooking the lights, but they look cool. :nono:  :scratch:

Well, my household has blue lights everywhere with half a dozen PCs, NAS, two media centers (Game Room and Theater Room), Alexa devices, etc. etc.   I am definitely NOT the poster child for efficiency.    :lol:

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #19 on: 19 Feb 2024, 04:03 pm »
At a previous apartment I had my Statiks in a small bedroom.  I drove them with a modified Dynaco ST35 which is only 18 watts per channel.  It worked well enough for my needs.  Being in an apartment limited how much I could crank them anyway.

The whole X-series of speakers are very forgiving.  I have heard them driven with lots of amps over the years.  The better the amp, the better they perform.