Bamberg Series 5 MTM and Dual XLS Subwoofer system

pocket4

Bamberg Series 5 MTM and Dual XLS Subwoofer system
« on: 25 Sep 2007, 04:45 pm »
I had been on a quest for a new pair of speakers for quite some time. I had been listening to a pair of Legacy Focus's for 8 years. That I was very satisfied with, but after reading reviews I would make the rounds and audition numerous pairs of highly regarded speakers. I always walked away satisfied with the pair Focus's and their ability to play music. Until a buddy called and wanted me to come over and hear his new pair of Tyler Woodmere's. Very nice speakers but at 15,000.00 they were not in the budget. I was intrigue with the sound of the Seas drivers used in the Woodmere's. I was back on my quest to find a speaker using the Seas drivers with in my budget. After a lot of reseach I realize to get the optimum performance out of the drivers you really had to know the science of building really great crossovers.

I got lucky and along the way I found Phil Bamberg at www.bamberglab.com. Phil fills the gap in his offerings between ready made products and the diy guy, as I turned out to be. Phil is well known for his ability to design total speaker systems and standing behind his products. In my search I read the reviews on his speakers and all of them had the same theme. Their voice! I'm a music lover first and a audiophile second, and so is Phil.

Rather than buy his ready to play speakers. I choose to build a pair of Series 5 MTM and Dual XLS subwoofers with the active crossover he offers. I wanted to match a Walnut entertainment center I was building. With the outstanding plans he provided and Phil's support via phone and email the project was a HUGE success!

The sound, well it was every thing  I had hoped for and even more! I had the system up and running before my wife got home from work. She loved the Legacy's and thought I was foolish for replacing them. I meet her at the door and didn't lot on that the new speakers were playing, just gave it some time. Into the second song she came into the room with a big smile on her face which said it all. She stated it was like the Claritin commercial where a film had been lifted off of the sound stage. Every sound was now crystal clear and you could see the performers in 3D. From the top to bottom octave they were the best speaker system we had ever heard. I knew; it but that doesn't count, she heard it and that's what does!

My listening room doubles as our living room.  So what ever goes into it must be aesthetically pleasing to all concerned.  It's a large room 22' wide and 24' long with 22' high cathedral ceilings.  It also opens up into a loft above.  My equipment is set up along the 22' wall, and I have to sit back further than ideal, about 17'.
  The Series 5MTM are a monitor speaker consisting of Seas Millennium T25CF002 Tweeter and 2 - 7" Seas W18E001 all from their Excel line. The tweeter sets in between the two 7" woofers.  The tweeter also is not directly in line with the woofers, it's offset slightly toward the inside edge of the cabinets.  The cabinets are solid and well reinforced.  Built out of 2 layers of 3/4" MDF.  The monitor sits on top of the Dual XLS Subwoofers in my case. They are separate units, and could be setup differently.  The subs use 2 -10" Peerless XLS drivers and 2 -12" Peerless Passive's.  The 10" drivers sit on the bottom of each side with the 12" passives above them on both sides.  Their again a well designed cabinet; solid as a brick. Phil builds all of the crossover himself. They're works of art. Well organized, excellent part selection, and build quality.

These speakers were not fussy about their set up.  Within about 1 1/2 hours of listening I was satisfied with their placement.  They are 4' into the room from the wall and very close to the same from the side walls.  Easy enough.

Well how do they sound?  The midrange was exceptionally pure, and the timber just sounds right.  Voices are as good as I have experienced.  Transitions to treble is seamless.  Crystal clear, but not bright and it wasn't soft.  They disappear much like a good electrostatic speaker.  All you can hear is a holographic performance.  The bass was well extended and controlled.  No bloat here, it's tight and tuneful bass.  Imaging and the sound stage is first class.

I listen to rock, blues, jazz, and some country, mostly all on cd's.  Listening to Dianna Krall's "Live in Paris" on Verve 440 065 109-2 CD.  One of my favorites is "The Look of Love".  The brushes on the drum in the beginning of that cut are so clean and clear.  Dianna's voice, well all I can say WOW, she's here in my listening room.  Her piano is correct.  The sound stage was wider than my room and the depth was amazing.

I had to hear Eric Clapton's "Unplugged" on Reprise 945024-2 CD.  I listened to cut # 12  "Malted Milk".  I heard Eric tapping his foot as he played.  The decay of the strings between each note was unbelievable.  You could hear his fingers as they slid up and down each fret, and his pick as he plucked each string. Eric's voice is so right.

As for equipment used; 
Digital: Alchemy Product 8 Transport feeding a Musical Fidelity TRI-VISTA 21 DAC.
Pre-amp: Welborne Labs tube linestage
Power amps: Pass Labs ALEPH 1.2 mono blocks feeding the monitors and a Hafler 9500 connected to the subwoofers all run though a Behringer DCX2496 crossover.

If your interest in new new pair of speakers, a truly great pair, I know you'll be impressed and they won't break the bank either.

Thanks for letting me bend you ears.
Steve
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2007, 03:32 am by pocket4 »

brj

Re: Bamberg Series 5 MTM and Dual XLS Subwoofer system
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2007, 05:15 pm »
Thanks for the review, Steve, and welcome to AC!

If you have the opportunity, you might want to expand on your review a bit by providing some additional details regarding your room, gear, music selections, system goals, etc..  Suggestions along those lines can be found in the newly updated Critic's Circle Guidelines.

Once again, thanks for the review - good reviews take some work, so your effort is appreciated!

pocket4

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2007, 03:36 am »
Thank you brj,

I went ahead and modified the review. I'm new and was afraid gettin to long. Thanks again.

brj

« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2007, 04:16 am »
Quote from: pocket4
I went ahead and modified the review.

Nice work, Steve - great review!  Thanks for going to the effort!

For those unfamiliar with Phil's speakers, his website is here.

Quote from: pocket4
I'm new and was afraid gettin to long.

No worries there... we have lots of long winded types on AC! :wink:   :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2007, 04:48 am »
Nice review.... :thumb:

I've heard good things about Phil Bamberg's speakers...in fact AC member jackman owns a pair....and had some good comments. Here's a photo from his gallery...

Enjoy..... 8)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2007, 04:53 am »
Something I just noticed from the Bamberg site.....

BESL will show their newest loudspeaker, the Series 2 TMM, at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2007 all three days, October 12-14. Featuring legendary cabinet quality by Jim Salk, these speakers are superbly voiced by Philip Bamberg. Bass from dual 7� woofers and dual 7� drones is phenomenal and needs no subwoofer for typical room sizes.

TerryO

« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2007, 05:18 am »
Phil Bamberg has an outstanding reputation among the audio pros, and was considered by the Denizens of the old Bass List to be an Audio God. His Bass List semi-official title was "The God of Crossovers".
I've never heard his speakers and have never heard anything but the highest praise from those who have.

Best Regards,
TerryO

pocket4

« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2007, 12:07 pm »
Thank you for the kind words. I know Phil Bamberg and Jim Salk are currently working together on a new project. I'm sure it'll be superb. I forgot to mention in my review that all of my cabling for my system is from Phil. I was a little Leary about switching out all my cables, but I trusted him and I'm glad I did.

Thanks again,
Best Regards,
Steve

jackman

« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2007, 01:39 pm »
Hey guys, it's good to hear another person "discovered" Phil's excellent work.  My system has not changed in a couple years and I moved into a new house with a finished basement where my Series 5's reside.  My listening time has been severely cut back because I have been playing more guitar and playing with my 2 year old son than listening to my system.  As a result, I thought about downsizing and selling my BESL's...that was until I picked up a remastered version of Kind of Blue and was reminded of why I love Phil's work. 

The soundstage and overall presentation of these speakers is excellent, even with my modest amplification (Legacy by Coda 4 channel amp on the monitors and Aragon 4004 for the woofers).  Everything just sounds "right" to me and the bass response is truly amazing.  The Series 5's are staying!  I am looking for a 6 channel amplifier with level controls.  Recommendations are appreciated!

Also, I don't know if you tried the Series 5's in digital direct mode but that's the best way to hear them, IMO.  Use CDP as a transport and go directly into the DCX with a cable.  You'll need an adapter (Phil sells these relatively cheap) but it's worth it.  Also, Phil's cables are very well made.  He's a good guy and I'm shocked his products are not more popular.  I wish Phil was as good a salesman or marketer as he is a designer because he would be a household name (sorry Phil!).  On second thought, I'm glad he's not too good a salesman because his products should easily cost twice as much as he charges. 

Best of luck with he new system!

Jack

jackman

« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2007, 04:21 pm »
That's Phil in the blue shirt facing the camera at my house a few years ago.

I liked the sound of his speakers, but I never thought the quality of the cabinets was up to the level of the sound.

If he is working with Jim Salk, that would be a GREAT combination.  Phil's speakers in Jim's cabinets  :drool:

other people in the picture are: Steve Rothermel and Robert Schult of Ridge Street Audio, Klaus Bunge of Odyssey, Eric Hider, me.

Hi Rob,

I agree, Phil's cabinets are functional and not comparable to works of art that Mr. Salk turns out.  Phil's speaker design is first rate and I think the collaboration between Bamberg and Salk will produce some amazing looking (thanks to Jim's cabinet artistry) and sounding (thanks to Phil's design talents) speakers.  Both guys have amazingly high standards in their respective fields.  They are two professionals who share a "no compromise" philosophy that has become so rare in modern times. 

Through the years I have been fortunate to have gotten to know Phil and have gained a tremendous amount of respect for him as a person, a music lover and a speaker designer.  He's not the life of the party and he's not going to win any awards for marketing his products (sorry Phil!) but he is an amazing speaker designer.  I hope the collaboration with Salk will expose more people to Phil's work...and Jim's cabinet artistry. 

Cheers,

Jack

PS - the picture brings back memories of the great time I had at your beautiful house!

jackman

« Reply #10 on: 27 Nov 2007, 01:39 pm »
Hi Guys,

I don't have much time at the moment and will fill in some details later but I wanted to thank Phil for the new -  improved  aa- crossovers he put together for the Series 5's.  Because the system is active, he emailed me the new slopes and I easily downloaded them into the DCX2496.  This is good for me because I hate soldering.  Comparing the new slopes to my older crossover is easy because my old one is still on the DCX in memory.  I am not an expert on crossover design but I believe Phil was able to raise the crossover point and use steeper slopes in his latest design.  The main impact of the change is a fuller midbass and upper bass sound.  Highs and upper mids are still the same (excellent).

Also, want to thank Steve for his hospitality and for demonstrating his system.  Steve is the guy who started this thread.  He is an excellent woodworker and his speakers look one hundred times better in person than they do in his pictures.  I also know that he'll be keeping them for a long time...because they look and sound great and they weigh about as much as a grand piano!  You can't tell in the picture but they are made of beautiful walnut and match his walnut floor and beautiful entertainment system that Steve also made.  Listening to them was a true joy.  Also, his DIY amplifiers are a sight to behold.  They are the biggest, most impressive amps I have ever seen or heard.  Nelson Pass design in full class A and I'm guessing they weigh at least a hundred pounds each (he has 2 monos).  Seeing Steve's workmanship and hearing his system has re-energized my interest in this hobby/obsession. 

Thanks,

Jack