Hello Vintage Cerwin Vega Fans

jdfoxjd

Hello Vintage Cerwin Vega Fans
« on: 24 Mar 2024, 11:03 pm »
I am interested in upgrading the crossovers in my Cerwin Vega D-3.  I joined because GR-Research has done some work on upgrading the crossovers on these.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello Vintage Cerwin Vega Fans
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2024, 11:40 pm »
I am interested in upgrading the crossovers in my Cerwin Vega D-3.  I joined because GR-Research has done some work on upgrading the crossovers on these.
Welcome to AC  :thumb:
I will move this topic to the GR Research Circle because your specific interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O40224F9Gfg
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2024, 02:12 am by FullRangeMan »

jdfoxjd

« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2024, 02:36 pm »
I am wondering if I can swap out the CV “screamer” tweeter driver with the T26SG Tweeter and use the GR-Research D3 crossover unit with it?  It looks like the screamer db has been reduced by GR to 94db and T26SG Tweeter is 95db, which should be close enough. Or will the GR crossover cause the T26SG Tweeter db to be pushed down.  I’m not an engineer so, I apologize if this is “duh” it doesn’t work that way question.

Hafgrim

« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2024, 10:32 pm »
Danny didn't show the raw measument of the screemer but it and the gr tweeter will not have the same fr. Also the screemer can only extent to 3200 hz fut the t26 can reach bellow 2k hz. You would have to send your speaker to get a crossover made for it.

jdfoxjd

« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2024, 10:54 pm »
Thank you. That’s very helpful.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2024, 01:29 am »
By the time you start swapping out drivers then you are making a new custom speaker and having to design all new crossovers for a one off.

Also, if jumping up to our T26 tweeter, why mate it with 30 something year old drivers that are not that great to begin with.

You might as well just build out our Brute or Bully kit.

jdfoxjd

« Reply #6 on: 4 Apr 2024, 09:46 pm »
Well, I needed to watch everyone of your “tech-talk” videos, plus a bunch of other reading, to understand what I think I really need.  I’m 63 and above 13k for me (one too many rock concerts?) and 15k for my wife, and how we much we like music but are not audiophiles by any stretch, we are getting into the rule of diminishing returns.  It’s seems that for us your CVD3 kit, just with a better mid, would be perfect.
« Last Edit: 6 Apr 2024, 07:31 pm by jdfoxjd »