What classical music you listening to, luv?

Folsom

Re: What classical music you listening to, luv?
« Reply #2880 on: 22 Apr 2019, 09:31 pm »
What do you guys think about a separate thread for vinyl? I don't do digital, so it's pretty hard to go looking for recommendable stuff in this thread anymore.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #2881 on: 22 Apr 2019, 10:02 pm »

andolink

« Reply #2882 on: 22 Apr 2019, 10:48 pm »
What do you guys think about a separate thread for vinyl? I don't do digital, so it's pretty hard to go looking for recommendable stuff in this thread anymore.

I don't do vinyl but it makes sense for you classical vinyl guys to have a thread of your own for all that stuff that's available exclusively in that format.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2883 on: 22 Apr 2019, 11:02 pm »
I don't do vinyl but it makes sense for you classical vinyl guys to have a thread of your own for all that stuff that's available exclusively in that format.
I don't do digital, and I'd definitely participate in a classical vinyl circle. 

Randy

« Reply #2884 on: 22 Apr 2019, 11:26 pm »

Been listening to Pettersson for years but his 9th is a really tough nut to crack.

andolink

« Reply #2885 on: 23 Apr 2019, 03:07 am »
Been listening to Pettersson for years but his 9th is a really tough nut to crack.

If you haven't heard this recording of it you just might find your way into the 9th with it.  The ever evolving web of interconnected motifs are easy to follow in the wonderfully detailed and transparent sound captured by the Bis recording team.

Randy

« Reply #2886 on: 23 Apr 2019, 06:07 am »
If you haven't heard this recording of it you just might find your way into the 9th with it.  The ever evolving web of interconnected motifs are easy to follow in the wonderfully detailed and transparent sound captured by the Bis recording team.

I have this recording, but will give it another shot. Always willing to give music another chance.  Things I couldn't stand years ago, I now like very much, but vice versa, too, for that matter. I suppose most people are the same.

LesterSleepsIn

« Reply #2887 on: 23 Apr 2019, 12:08 pm »

His 7th, his most celebrated, is no sunny walk in the park either. Bleak. Doom and gloom. Commonly known as the “suicide symphony”. If you can get past the darkness of it all you’ll realize there are some truly fascinating sections. But overall, it’s dark.  Very dark.  "When will the angel come and restore the song sung by the soul, so simple and pure, that a child will stop its weeping?"  ... that’s Pettersson. I have the BIS/ Norrkoping with Lindstrom recording of the 7th and it’s beautifully performed and recorded. Did I mention it’s dark? It is.

THROWBACK

« Reply #2888 on: 23 Apr 2019, 01:21 pm »
Interesting that both S Clark and FOLSOM have stated that they "don't do digital."

I'm beginning to think that the problem might not be "digital" but "digital execution." I base this upon just two recordings out of my many CDs, SACDs, and digital downloads of various stripes, but that's the nature of the "existence theorem," isn't it? Both are early 60's Mercury analog recordings converted to SACD, and they are about as good as anything in my vinyl collection. I find little else to actually enjoy among the rest of my digital collection.

The problem is that "the home" is looming and my precious vinyl collection will have to be left behind. So, "don't do digital" means don't do music. Thus I keep hoping.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2889 on: 23 Apr 2019, 04:01 pm »
I think digital has progressed to the point that "decent quality" digital actually beats "decent quality" vinyl.  Moving up the quality scale, "the best" digital is awesome.  But "the best" vinyl still has an edge over it.  It's slight but it's there. 

For me, I'm happy with only digital because I'm now able to get myself to be satisfied with "excellent" sound as my standard instead of always having "the best" as my standard. 

On that note, here's an excellent modern digital recording I'm enjoying right now.  It's an OK performance of the Brahms, but the Ligeti is quite good:

Tyson

« Reply #2890 on: 23 Apr 2019, 08:29 pm »
What I love about streaming services like Qobuz is I get to hear really cool music that I'd never, ever buy in CD format.  Just too risky to buy the CD if I don't like it, that's money wasted.  On the other hand, streaming today let me hear the new Mason Bates disc which is a lot of fun:

Freo-1

« Reply #2891 on: 23 Apr 2019, 08:41 pm »

A well recorded CD with good dynamics  (good performance as well). 

Currently listening to # 6.

S Clark

« Reply #2892 on: 23 Apr 2019, 08:46 pm »
I don't do digital, and I'd definitely participate in a classical vinyl circle.
I should modify this.  Vinyl is 95%+ of my listening, and I have very decent digital options.  But my vinyl collection is more extensive, and for me, easier to access.  The sound quality of my HAL music server and custom, prototype dac is still excellent.  CD's played through an Oppo 95 with multiple sabre dacs is pretty darned good as well. 
But... I just like the vinyl experience.  It helps to have a friend that owns a record store  :)

Freo-1

« Reply #2893 on: 23 Apr 2019, 08:50 pm »
Interesting that both S Clark and FOLSOM have stated that they "don't do digital."

I'm beginning to think that the problem might not be "digital" but "digital execution." I base this upon just two recordings out of my many CDs, SACDs, and digital downloads of various stripes, but that's the nature of the "existence theorem," isn't it? Both are early 60's Mercury analog recordings converted to SACD, and they are about as good as anything in my vinyl collection. I find little else to actually enjoy among the rest of my digital collection.

The problem is that "the home" is looming and my precious vinyl collection will have to be left behind. So, "don't do digital" means don't do music. Thus I keep hoping.

I have the Byron Janus on SACD,  and it sounds great. 

I'm just opposite:  "I don't do vinyl"  I prefer something more robust regarding SNR, dynamic range, wow/flutter, etc.   Vinyl has too many limitations for my liking.  (And I did like it for a lot of years  :thumb: )

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Myths_(Vinyl) 

S Clark

« Reply #2894 on: 23 Apr 2019, 08:58 pm »

I have the Byron Janus on SACD,  and it sounds great. 

I'm just opposite:  "I don't do vinyl"  I prefer something more robust regarding SNR, dynamic range, wow/flutter, etc.   Vinyl has too many limitations for my liking. 

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Myths_(Vinyl) 
I haven't had a rig with any audible wow/flutter in years, perhaps a decade or more.  The other issues listed are not significant if addressed by a good system and clean vinyl- IMHO.   Both vinyl and digital can be excellent-- but I'll give you space.  My wife clearly wishes we didn't have 3-4000 lp's in the house. 

Freo-1

« Reply #2895 on: 23 Apr 2019, 09:50 pm »
I haven't had a rig with any audible wow/flutter in years, perhaps a decade or more.  The other issues listed are not significant if addressed by a good system and clean vinyl- IMHO.   Both vinyl and digital can be excellent-- but I'll give you space.  My wife clearly wishes we didn't have 3-4000 lp's in the house.

Fair enough.  Had to chuckle on the LP storage.  I used to have a lot of them myself.    We struggled with optical media storage when we moved.  Would up giving Goodwill a fair amount of media for resale. 

The link posted attempted to be respectful of both sides of the coin, while pointing out misconceptions. For me, listening to hi-res recordings (actual hi-res source material), with the Devialet 400 was the clincher against ever going back to vinyl.  Funny thing: my migration to classical is what drove me to digital.

The main thing is to enjoy the music on whatever setup you like best.  :thumb: 

andolink

« Reply #2896 on: 23 Apr 2019, 11:33 pm »

LesterSleepsIn

« Reply #2897 on: 24 Apr 2019, 02:10 pm »

Rautavaara: Towards the Horizon; Modificata; Incantations
Einojuhani Rautavaara (Composer)

Tyson

« Reply #2898 on: 26 Apr 2019, 03:12 pm »
Checking to see if anything on Qobuz is as good as my reference recording of Ashkenazy doing the Rachmaninov Preludes.  Right now I'm on Boris Borezovsky:

LesterSleepsIn

« Reply #2899 on: 27 Apr 2019, 12:13 pm »