Some funky and very interesting guitars.

lo mein

« on: 30 Sep 2003, 04:38 pm »

http://italiaguitars.com/main.htm

Has anybody tried these yet?

Not vintage for sure. But vintage is not
everything. Time changes, and passes by...

Hantra

« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2003, 06:44 pm »
Those are neat looking, but I've never seen them at any shop.  

I bought me a Strat last week.  Should be here tomorrow.  Deluxe Super Strat in black.  All I need now is a white pickguard, b/c tortoise just doesn't go with a Strat.  I'll keep all my tortoise on the Martin.

B

lo mein

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2003, 03:51 am »
Quote from: Hantra
Those are neat looking, but I've never seen them at any shop.  

I bought me a Strat last week.  Should be here tomorrow.  Deluxe Super Strat in black.  All I need now is a white pickguard, b/c tortoise just doesn't go with a Strat.  I'll keep all my tortoise on the Martin.

B

I'm not into tortoise pickguard. BTW. You need some Lace pups for the modern EC tones.

I've totally rewireded one of my Strat. 3 tones control. 7 position selector. No volume control. I use volume pedal.

Dozer

« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2003, 03:50 am »
I had lace pups on a '95 strat plus and thought they were good.  Then I got a '01 Clapton strat with Vintage Noiseless, and I understand why some people called them "vintage toneless".    Now I have one strat with the first version of the 62/57 vintage pups, and one with CS54s.   Give me the single-coil 60 cycle hum any day of the week - both these sets of pups are tone monsters!    I think Lace are a better choice than VN if you want to be noiseless (I should say, if you MUST make the noiseless deal with the devil)... jmho and I play shitty, but I know tone when I hear it or miss it!

Congrats on the new strat.  If you change pups - embrace the noise!   Noiseless pups should be on somebody's #5 or #6 guitar if anywhere...

oh yeah, jmho

Hantra

« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2003, 01:54 pm »
Hey thanks for the tip man!  

I wasn't sure what the difference was in the Lace, and the VN.  Good to know.  Mine will have Super Fat pickups.  Not sure how good they are. . .

L8r,

B

lo mein

« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2003, 03:13 pm »
The Lace has more mid range.

Actually. The 60 cycle hum is VERY easy to deal with, with or without a noisegate/expander, with the guitars. But not so easy with basses.

Tried a few Fender Custom Shop's, Tex-Mex, and other aftermarket pups. But went back to stock pups.

A good, complete shielding is very important though. Makes a hugh difference with noise level.

Hantra

« Reply #6 on: 2 Oct 2003, 03:32 pm »
Hey man. . Can you start a new thread, and link us, or tell us how to shield them?  I am replacing my pickguard right off the bat, and I may as well do any necessary mods at the same time.

Thanks!

B

lo mein

« Reply #7 on: 2 Oct 2003, 04:08 pm »
Quote from: Hantra
Hey man. . Can you start a new thread, and link us, or tell us how to shield them?  I am replacing my pickguard right off the bat, and I may as well do any necessary mods at the same time.

Thanks!

B

Done.

fredgarvin

Dean
« Reply #8 on: 3 Oct 2003, 05:57 am »
I recently picked up a Dean Tonic F model. Two double rail pick-ups and tapped. Tonally a little leaner than a Gibson hbucker and sounds like a fender in single coil position. I really like the tone and the guitar is very playable. Solid Mahogany body, bolt-on maple neck with rosewood fboard. My theory is a good sounding guitar sounds good unplugged as well, and I played everything in the store. The best sounding one was a Charvel, used at 700 bucks. Next best the Dean and a Hamer and the Dean was prettier. Among the worst sounding and hardest to play were the several strats. Oh well, all overpriced as well. They did have a killer Tele but over my limit. I have a strat copy at home, but I may not play it much now. Maybe I'll try some pup combinations.

Dozer

« Reply #9 on: 4 Oct 2003, 02:25 am »
Dean is kind of setting the guitar world on its head with the low priced and very pretty guitars!   Cort, Samick.. these are the thinking man's guitars definitely.  

I buy US Fenders because I like having US Fenders... they probably aren't the "best", but when you get to be my age and can finally afford the guitars and shit you wish you had when you were 16, well it wasn't Deans I was lusting after back in the day so... Fender tube amps and strats baby  finally... G&L too.   West coast guitar mafia (including Baja) rules!

If it were only about cost/performance, and not checking the date code numbers on pots and looking for dates-initials in the neck pocket and shit... i'd get a Cort or Samick and upgrade the pups - period!

Gonna get me an SG one day too, which has GOT to be the most overpriced guitar in existence without any doubt at all...but my life won't be completely lived till I've had one.

fredgarvin

geetars
« Reply #10 on: 4 Oct 2003, 03:52 am »
I'm not knocking Fender that's for sure. I hope to own a nice aged strat myself someday. I was just disapointed the ones I played were poor. I've played with guys that have sweet ones, for sure. Jimmy Thackery with Joe Barden pups, killer tone! Also Johnny Lang playing a Tele Thinline had just about the best tone I've heard.

lo mein

Re: Dean
« Reply #11 on: 6 Oct 2003, 10:33 pm »
Quote from: fredgarvin
I recently picked up a Dean Tonic F model. Two double rail pick-ups and tapped. Tonally a little leaner than a Gibson hbucker and sounds like a fender in single coil position. I really like the tone and the guitar is very playable. Solid Mahogany body, bolt-on maple neck with rosewood fboard. My theory is a good sounding guitar sounds good unplugged as well, and I played everything in the store. The best sounding one was a Charvel, used at 700 bucks. Next best the Dean and a Hamer and the Dean was prettier. ...

Yes. If a guitar doesn't sound decent unplug. It'll be a dog when plugged. Just amplifying its uglyness when it's plugged.

I am totally convinced price, where/who makes it, name/brand, age, etc., have very little, or NO direct relationship to the  ACTUAL PERFORMANCE of the guitar.

30, 40 years ago. Yes. But not these days.

I built a killer Strat recently, from a cheap Asian import clone. The BEST neck I've ever played on any Start. Including true vintage, current Fender USA. Junked the original pots and switch, installed with high quality , non Fender subsitutes. Wax-potted the import pups, shielded the whole cavity. Total costs: $160!

A lot of the so-called "legendary", "world standards" were only true, several decades ago, when Fender and Gibson were more or less the only games.  But what was the state of the art back then, are just mediocre at best now, some 30, 40 years later.

Listen to Mike Stern. He's a killer Tele jazz-slinger. He plays a Yamaha tele clone. Not Fender.

John Mayall also plays a chopped up Squier Bullet!

Most guitars will sound fine in the right hands with the right heart and soul behind the hands and fingers. Not the other way around.  

And all the hypes on "vintage" is nothing more than a marketing scheme from the old manufacturers. So they can keep selling old stuff, and therefore, cut down on their development/tooling costs.

As far as the illusive tone is concerns.  It's entirly subjective and personal. The popular in the search of the vintage tone is highly questionable. Why would everybody want to sound the same???

As long as the "tone" is deemed suitable to the music's feel and emotion, then, it'll works. You don't need a certain kind of tone, for any particular kind (the sucky 'genre' thingy.) of music.  You're the musician. You decide what you want. Not somebody else's business.

No. I don't play chords, blues or bottle neck with my Teles, I play jazz lead with them. I play mostly bottle-neck with my Strats (similar to Bonnie Raitt, but different voicing asnd phasing) With the bridge pup most of the time. And my Les Paul mainly doing chords duties.

Check out both Mike Stern and Leni Stern. Both killer tele jazz players.

The Strat is one of the easiest guitar to ply well at all level. It's very versitile.  

But in my opinion. Eric Clapton's reputation ended with the final chapter of Cream and his stop using Gibson guitars. EC's peak was during Cream. And the reason why he was playing so good (Cream's style) was because both Javck Bruce and Ginger Baker pressed him into playing like that. Listen to those old early Albert King, to about 1968. You can find just about all of Clapton's licks in those recordings. EC has done absolutely nothing new after Cream. Derek & the Dominos were his last effort to try to break out
from his ruck. But failed after Layla.

He has been doing nothing, but playing safe by recycling over and over again the same old tired and old, extremely dated materials.

EC was one of  my top guitar hero during Cream. Only after Jimi Hendrix. Now, he's not even in my radar.

One of the new generation of blues player that I can highly recommend is a young black singer/guitar player - Deborah Coleman. Killer voice and guitar works, and, the best of all, she's not playing the same old same old tired and old materials. Check her out. She smokes just about all the stuff EC have done after Cream.

Another killer blues player is Briton Nigel Watson.

Jeff Beck is still as good, in fact, better than ever. Unlike EC.

And about those signature model guitar.  Do they really worth the extra costs? Will they turn you into a better player? ;-)

It's getting too long here. Better sign off.

Ciao,

lo mein

« Reply #12 on: 6 Oct 2003, 10:57 pm »
Quote from: Dozer
Dean is kind of setting the guitar world on its head with the low priced and very pretty guitars!   Cort, Samick.. these are the thinking man's guitars definitely.  

I buy US Fenders because I like having US Fenders... they probably aren't the "best", but when you get to be my age and can finally afford the guitars and shit you wish you had when you were 16,  (incl ...

Disagree. I started out with Fenders, Mosrite, Gibson, when I was 16. Now I only buy high quality, but very affordable imports.

Never bought any thing used either.

guitarspanker

Lindy Fralin pickups
« Reply #13 on: 4 Dec 2003, 07:03 pm »
Dudes,

Check out Lindy Fralin pickups (http://fralinpickups.com/). They are the most true to the original Strat vintage pups, but hotter. I recently replaced a set of Lace golds (way too smooth and wimpy) with Fralins and am lovin' 'em. They are in my '82 US-made '57 reissue strat which I've had since '83!

Later!
Scott