9/11 So Cal Listening Session Pic & Impressions Thread

F-100

« Reply #20 on: 13 Sep 2004, 05:44 pm »
Before going into detail, I like to thank Mad Dog and his lovely wife for organizing this event and the opportunity to enjoy some of the finest equipments in the audio industry. One of the biggest highlight of the session for me was the opportunity to meet the Mark Schifter, Steve McCormack and other forum members as well.  

As I arrived at Mad Dog's place about 20 minutes late, there were about 10-15 people jammed into a small upstairs’ bedroom for the presentation of the 250mkii, Selah SA-1 and Ref1. I poked my head into the room for a few minutes but it was so hot in there so I decided to skip this audition. Beside I already have a pair of Ref1 at my place and very happy with it performance therefore I have no interest in another bookshelf speakers. Ref3 is the one that I want to set my eyes on :)

Here is my impression:

The Ref3 are truly awesome. To my ears, it sounds very much like the Ref1 but with the extra "BAM" in the bass and in the midrange. After listening to the first track from Allison Kraus CD, I was very impressed with their deep soundstage and their wonderful imaging and presence. However, I thought the upper end was a little bit bright for my taste. Maybe by swapping out IC and other components could be the solution.

The VR4jr have a warmer sound than the Ref3. Although the speaker sound very nice, I would need more time auditioning before drawing any final conclusion.  

The 550mkii are definitely a big surprise for me. After listening to the Ref3 and VR4jr, I thought that the 550mkii wouldn’t stand a chance with these two big boys but I was wrong. They sound very good and not only that, they cost less than 1K, a bargain price for a very nice sounding speaker.

For the amps, they all sound nice and again I need to have a few serious listening sessions with each of the amps before I can draw any conclusion.

Craig Chase

Talk about two great companies ...
« Reply #21 on: 13 Sep 2004, 05:45 pm »
John - This sounds like some pretty exciting stuff... I will be watching a LOT ...  8)

Thanks for the quick reply ...

Warmest Regards

ooheadsoo

« Reply #22 on: 13 Sep 2004, 06:06 pm »
Thanks for the comprehensive impressions guys!  This should be useful if I ever come by a few grand.

Mad DOg

Thank you for all the compliments and kind words!
« Reply #23 on: 13 Sep 2004, 06:10 pm »
Just wanted to thank everyone for their kind words...Thanks for helping to make this one of the best listening sessions ever!

It was fun meeting new faces and seeing familiar faces again!

Sorry about the hot conditions...It was hot on Sat and with the tube amp running upstairs in a small room full of warm bodies, the AC just couldn't work fast or efficient enough.  :(

All the gear we heard was simply magnificent! Simply put, there were no losers in this bunch. Some just synergized better than others with the gear we had available. And then you can't discount the importance of personal preferences! With the right synergies and a good understanding of your own preferences, I'm certain that all the gear we auditioned would be able to make nearly any music lover quite happy!  :thumb:  :dance:  :inlove:

So until the next session, happy listening! :)

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #24 on: 13 Sep 2004, 06:47 pm »
Just want to chime in with my thanks to MD, MLS, and everyone else who contributed to a great weekend.  

The dinner Friday night was a blast.  It was cool to meet some other AC folks, talk audio and HT into the night and bug MLS for a new product (analog multi-channel preamp for under $1k.)

I got there too late on Saturday for most of the equipment comparisons, but I still got to see and hear some very cool gear and meet even more folks.

A special thanks to Bob Levi, Mike Garner, and Steve McCormack for looking over my Tripath amplifier project and giving me some good ideas for tweaking and tuning it.

Looking forward to the next one.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Holy Toledo what a fun time we had
« Reply #25 on: 13 Sep 2004, 10:11 pm »
Quote from: John Casler
First and foremost, I have to thank Mad Dog and his "Master of Mad Dog" for such a great meet.  While it was certainly a "schlup" (almost 2 hours) to get there it was most certainly worth it. (every bumper to bumper inch :lol: )

I went to the Friday Night dinner with Mark Shifter and about 20 plus others and it too was a great time.  Met a lot of really nice people and of course talked audio along with Margeritas, and Mexican food. :mrgreen:

Mark is a one man Dynamo who is constantly moving and worki ...

Thanks for your thoghts John.

Now if you would just send me the darn SOA to try, I just might by one (or two)...

George

Mad DOg

« Reply #26 on: 13 Sep 2004, 10:26 pm »
Quote from: F-100
...As I arrived at Mad Dog's place about 20 minutes late, there were about 10-15 people jammed into a small upstairs’ bedroom for the presentation of the 250mkii, Selah SA-1 and Ref1. I poked my head into the room for a few minutes but it was so hot in there so I decided to skip this audition. ...

too bad u didn't have an opportunity to hear the Selah SA-1 then...

Mad DOg

« Reply #27 on: 13 Sep 2004, 10:37 pm »

Mad DOg

« Reply #28 on: 13 Sep 2004, 10:38 pm »

Mad DOg

« Reply #29 on: 13 Sep 2004, 10:38 pm »

Mad DOg

« Reply #30 on: 13 Sep 2004, 10:39 pm »

Mad DOg

« Reply #31 on: 13 Sep 2004, 10:39 pm »

Mad DOg

« Reply #32 on: 13 Sep 2004, 10:44 pm »

Mad DOg

« Reply #33 on: 13 Sep 2004, 10:45 pm »

Mad DOg

« Reply #34 on: 13 Sep 2004, 10:46 pm »

F-100

« Reply #35 on: 13 Sep 2004, 10:59 pm »
Quote from: Mad DOg
too bad u didn't have an opportunity to hear the Selah SA-1 then...

I had my mind set on the Ref3 and I wanted to save my ears for them :)
Ref1 is still my preference speaker for now and Ref3 is my next purchase .

BTW, the face plate of the Pass X250 looks stunning, very nice looking amp.

Mad DOg

« Reply #36 on: 13 Sep 2004, 11:18 pm »
...As I arrived at Mad Dog's place about 20 minutes late, there were about 10-15 people jammed into a small upstairs’ bedroom for the presentation of the 250mkii, Selah SA-1 and Ref1. I...

F-100,

that also means you missed out on auditioning the H34 and CD-1 as well...both of which are outstanding products...

Mad DOg

Prize winners!!!
« Reply #37 on: 14 Sep 2004, 08:38 pm »
Winners of the AV123 giveaway:

ELT system: Shokunin
Tyke system: Relja
UFW-10: CryoTweaks (from AudioCircle)
RS250MkIIs: Jon L (from AudioCircle)
$100 Cable/Wire Gift Cert:
John Casler (from AudioCircle)
Invicta61's wife
Bruce
Hugh
jswallac (from AudioCircle)

Winner of Skylan Stands Magic Mushrooms: rlcordiero (from AudioCircle)

Winners of Cryotweaks Digital Coax cable:
Mad Dog's wife
Russtafarian
CWS_Kahuna
I can't remember the names of the last winner...:(

Congrats!!! Enjoy your new toys!!!

And once again, thank you, Mike from CryoTweaks, Noel Nolan from Skylan Stands and Mark from AV123!!!

F-100

« Reply #38 on: 14 Sep 2004, 08:55 pm »
Who was the highest bidder on the Skylan Stands?

Mad DOg

« Reply #39 on: 14 Sep 2004, 09:20 pm »
Who was the highest bidder on the Skylan Stands?

shauk786