• "when pigs fly"
    • Affordable Audio/Positive Feedback Online writer
The Great Speaker Round Up
« on: 22 Jun 2008, 03:10 am »
Well my listening room contains three pair of very fine speakers:

GINI LS3/5A with Bass Modules

GR Research Neo-1x

Bamberg Engineering Series 5 TM-XLS 3

Here we have a great bang for the buck British inspired full range speaker system. A mini-monitor that can hang with the big boys, and not require the selling of a spare kidney. The Bamberg speakers are impressive, and perform at a different level than other mere mortal speakers.

I would snap a quick picture of this fine stable of speakers, but the digital camera gave up the ghost the other day. Trust me, they are all beauties.

Regards
Mister Pig

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: The Great Speaker Round Up
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2008, 11:19 am »
I heard the GINI at the recent AKFest and liked them.  Most of the speakers there sounded either thin (no deep bass) or the bass boomed around 80 Hz (probably due to the smallish hotel rooms).  The GINI had a most relaxing, bass/treble balanced, listen all day without fatigue kind of speaker.  By far, the least expensive speaker to impress me at the show.

Interestingly the only speakers with foundational bass output that didn't boom in those rooms were either dipoles (including open baffles) or transmission lines (with inherent 1st order bass roll off).

I've owned LS3/5a clones and transmission line bass, so am quite biased.

finsup

The Bamberg Series 5.
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2008, 08:36 pm »
I read somewhere that Mark Schifter was going to do some cab work for him.  Doesn't look like that ever came to pass but I would like to know more about your impressions of the Bamberg Series 5.

Thank you.

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2008, 09:33 pm »
Well my listening room contains three pair of very fine speakers:

GINI LS3/5A with Bass Modules

GR Research Neo-1x

Bamberg Engineering Series 5 TM-XLS 3

Here we have a great bang for the buck British inspired full range speaker system. A mini-monitor that can hang with the big boys, and not require the selling of a spare kidney. The Bamberg speakers are impressive, and perform at a different level than other mere mortal speakers.

I would snap a quick picture of this fine stable of speakers, but the digital camera gave up the ghost the other day. Trust me, they are all beauties.

Regards
Mister Pig

Hey Mr. Pig,

I'm happy to see someone reviewing Bamberg's work.  I'd love to see a direct comparison between Phil's latest design and some of the recent "flavor of the month" designs.  I look forward to your formal review and hope to see some pictures of the finished speakes soon.  I love my series 5 MTM's but the new cabinets and the new design is much cooler looking. 

Finsup,

Phil is making the cabinets in house at the moment.  I had a chance to stop by and check out the production (in Illinois) and it was first rate.  They are as solid as any commercial or DIY design I have ever seen and they look MUCH cooler than they do on Phil's website.  No offense to Bamberg but the only thing missing from BESL is marketing fluff.  His designs are rock solid and they offer an amazing value.  I think he's going to be at RMAF this year.  Hopefully people give his new design a listen. 

Also, I really wish someone would evaluate the new BESL Series 5's with the subwoofers versus any speaker on the market in their price range (or double their price).  I think some people would be in for a real surprise.

Cheers,

Jack

jaspal kallar

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2008, 10:39 pm »
Interestingly the only speakers with foundational bass output that didn't boom in those rooms were either dipoles (including open baffles) or transmission lines (with inherent 1st order bass roll off).

Can you remember the names of any of the dipoles speakers ?

cheers
   jaspal

Mister Pig

• "when pigs fly"
    • Affordable Audio/Positive Feedback Online writer
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jul 2008, 03:09 pm »
The GINI Systems speaker system review is done, and will be published in the September issue.

I currently have the Bamberg Series 5 speakers in my system, and have started the preliminary stage of the review. It too will come out in September. So in a way, this issue will have two very different ends of the cost spectrum covered by two box integrated speaker systems.

I don't plan on summarizing my review in this post, however the Series 5 speaker is quite interesting. Phil does a very nice job with these speakers. If I were in the market for a pair of conventional speakers, I would seriously consider something from Phil's line.

Now, if Bruce Thigpin could get caught up on a few things, I would be able to welcome a pair of Eminent Technology LFT 8B into the listening room.

Regards
Mister Pig

jackman

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2008, 05:14 pm »
The GINI Systems speaker system review is done, and will be published in the September issue.

I currently have the Bamberg Series 5 speakers in my system, and have started the preliminary stage of the review. It too will come out in September. So in a way, this issue will have two very different ends of the cost spectrum covered by two box integrated speaker systems.

I don't plan on summarizing my review in this post, however the Series 5 speaker is quite interesting. Phil does a very nice job with these speakers. If I were in the market for a pair of conventional speakers, I would seriously consider something from Phil's line.

Now, if Bruce Thigpin could get caught up on a few things, I would be able to welcome a pair of Eminent Technology LFT 8B into the listening room.

Regards
Mister Pig

Very cool stuff, Mr. Pig!  I look forward to your reviews and look forward to the Eminent Tech review also.  Thanks!

Jack