Cellaring beer...

sts9fan

Cellaring beer...
« Reply #20 on: 22 Dec 2005, 04:09 pm »
A few more pages on how awsome you are would be great :roll:

BobM

Cellaring beer...
« Reply #21 on: 22 Dec 2005, 04:18 pm »
Wayne - why in the world are you making cables now? Must be for the love of the hobby (or you are semi-retired)  :P

Awesome resume. Wish I could sample some of your beers, but alas, the Pacific Northwest and the Atlantic North East are far apart, and shipping beer is costly and counterproductive.  Would love to try that award winning smoked porter.

We also have some very good micro breweries here, especially in Vermont. Must be that mountain air, or perhaps the lack of much else to do, or the pioneering spirit. Whatever, it all brings about an enjoyable result.
 :beer:

Bob

Wayne1

Cellaring beer...
« Reply #22 on: 22 Dec 2005, 04:41 pm »
And a Merry Christmas to you too, sts9fan  :)

BobM,

Age has something to do with it. I'm 52 and the physical demands of working in small breweries is a bit much. It is also cheaper for owners to hire a young stud to keep making beer once the recipes are established.

I enjoyed working for Coors as I was in the R&D department. During the periodic shakeouts SandLot changed to be under Marketing. I really didn't get along too well with those guys.

My degree is in electronics. The brewing was turning a hobby into a career. It was fine for awhile but I did get tired of folks making a lot of money off of my "designs" . With my own company, I am far happier.

ctviggen

Cellaring beer...
« Reply #23 on: 22 Dec 2005, 06:34 pm »
So, does this mean we can ask questions of you about beer brewing?  ;-)

pugs

Cellaring beer...
« Reply #24 on: 22 Dec 2005, 08:30 pm »
Quote from: Wayne1
Brian,

In answer to your original questions: store the bottles vertically. I would suggest under the stairwell in a basemement, if possible. Keep them inside the case. Two of the biggest enemies of beer are light and variations in temps.

In order to store beer for long period, you first have to have a decent amount of alcohol. With a starting gravity of 1.065 and abv of 6.5 %, Alaskan Smoked Porter qualifies. A constant temparture is rather critical. Cellar temps of about 55 degrees F. are prefect. Wh ...

Wayne,

Have you had a chance to taste some of the beers from San Diego?  Breweries such as Pizza Port, Alesmith, and Oggi's have been winning a lot of awards at the GABF the last few years.  Stone is no slouch either.  Cuvee de Tomme from Pizza Port is one of my all time favorites.  Alesmith and Pizza Port are two of my favorite breweries.  I still have one bottle of the 2002 Barrel Aged Speedway stout.  Good stuff.

pugs

Cellaring beer...
« Reply #25 on: 22 Dec 2005, 08:36 pm »
Quote from: BobM
I also have home brewed for over a decade. Here's what I have learned.

Beer lasts about 1 year in the bottle before it really starts losing its character. I've stored beers (simple and complex) for a year or two just to see what happens. The character is gone after about 6-9 months. There is definitely a shelf life and several years storage is several years too many.

I cracked open one a bottle of 1998 Kasteel Brune the other day, and it keeps getting better and better.  I had a 2001 Samiclaus at the San Diego Strong Ale Festival a couple of weeks ago.  It was the best I've ever tasted it.  I'll be opening my J.W. Lees barley wine in about ten years or so.  A year for it would be way too young.

It all depends on the beer.

ctviggen

Cellaring beer...
« Reply #26 on: 22 Dec 2005, 08:37 pm »
Speaking of microbrews, for the ones I can get (New England versions), I think Anchor Steam (from the opposite coast but prevalent here) and their other brews are about as good as you can get.  Sam Adams is crap, in my opinion. I've also heard good things about this beer:

http://www.beerhunter.com/documents/19133-001402.html

Wayne1

Cellaring beer...
« Reply #27 on: 22 Dec 2005, 09:51 pm »
Tomme Arthur is another great brewer. Pizza Port has been winning awards for years. Tomme organizes the San Diego Real Ale, Strong Ale and Belgian beer festivals.

The Vermont Pub and Brewery is owned by Greg Noonan who has written many great books on homebrewing. I was there many years ago and was very impressed with what he was able to make with the equipment he had.

I actually like a good portion of Sam Adams Beers. I don't care to much for Jim Koch, but he started out in marketing, so I am a bit biased. The BS about his grandfather's recipe is a bit much though. The original Sam Adams Boston Lager recipe was created by Dr. Joseph Owades, who died Tuesday in SF, Joseph Owades obituary. Dr. Owades also created what became Miller Light, Pete's Wicked Ale, and New Amsterdam Lager among others.

The Sam Adams Winter Lager is very good. The Octoberfest is about the freshest example you can find here in the US. I also like a lot of the beers produced by the Brooklyn Brewery and Flying Fish out of NJ.

ctviggen

Cellaring beer...
« Reply #28 on: 22 Dec 2005, 10:00 pm »
Ooo..a Winter Lager?  I didn't know they made one.  Good Lagers are hard to find.  I'll have to check that one out.

pugs

Cellaring beer...
« Reply #29 on: 22 Dec 2005, 10:09 pm »
Tomme Arthur is another great brewer. Pizza Port has been winning awards for years. Tomme organizes the San Diego Real Ale, Strong Ale and Belgian beer festivals.

The Vermont Pub and Brewery is owned by Greg Noonan who has written many great books on homebrewing. I was there many years ago and was very impressed with what he was able to make with the equipment he had.

I actually like a good portion of Sam Adams Beers. I don't care to much for Jim Koch, but he started out in marketing, so I am a bit bi ...

I don't know Tomme that well but see him a lot at Pizza Port Solana.  I know Tom Nickel pretty well.  His pub O'brien's is my favorite beer bar.  Send me a PM if you are ever in town for one of the festivals.  I haven't missed one in a few years.

Sorry about the OT replies.  I get geeked up about beer almost more than audio.

sts9fan

Cellaring beer...
« Reply #30 on: 22 Dec 2005, 10:23 pm »
[/quote] I think Anchor Steam (from the opposite coast but prevalent here) and their other brews are about as good as you can get. Sam Adams is crap, in my opinion.

Anchor Poter may be my favorite beer right now. Also Sam Adams has some good brews such as the Boston Ale and Cream Stout which are both great. the Boston Lager is crap though.

Halfdeaf

Cellaring beer...
« Reply #31 on: 22 Dec 2005, 10:53 pm »
I want a Triple Bock for XMAS...

bubba966

Cellaring beer...
« Reply #32 on: 23 Dec 2005, 12:17 am »
Brian,

In answer to your original questions: store the bottles vertically. I would suggest under the stairwell in a basemement, if possible. Keep them inside the case. Two of the biggest enemies of beer are light and variations in temps.

Wayne,

That's exactly how I've been storing the '04 Smoked Porter (except it's been sitting horizontally :oops: ). It's been in the wine cases under the stairwell in the basement.

Guess I'll have to rearrange things to keep the beer vertical & the wine horizontal.

Thanks all for the info.

ctviggen

Cellaring beer...
« Reply #33 on: 23 Dec 2005, 12:47 am »
If you like Cream Stout, I'll get you the name of a Stout that's 100 times better -- seriously.  Do a blind taste test, and you'll never drink Cream Stout again.  I can't remember the name of the beer right now.

pugs

Cellaring beer...
« Reply #34 on: 23 Dec 2005, 12:52 am »
Quote from: Halfdeaf
I want a Triple Bock for XMAS...

Be prepared to age that one for a long time.  I have one from 1995 and reports are that it is still not ready.

rosconey

Cellaring beer...
« Reply #35 on: 23 Dec 2005, 12:52 am »
i can remember my days of storing beer in the basement,stored some for over a hour before it was digested :mrgreen: