Good Eats

ctviggen

Good Eats
« on: 6 Sep 2005, 11:45 pm »
If you are just learning to cook or like to know the science behind cooking, "Good Eats" (Alton Brown) is an excellent show.  Last night, I made his duck recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_13045,00.html

And it was excellent.  I've made his ribs:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_11125,00.html

For my fiancee and her friend, and they talk about the ribs to this day.  I made the soup and butternut dumplings recipes using squash:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ea/episode/0,,FOOD_9956_20199,00.html

for my fiancee, her mom, and my mom, and these are discussed every other time we get together.

I made a brined turkey for my fiancee's family:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_8389,00.html

And I've been permanently appointed as turkey provider.  Concerning the turkey, I now refuse to not brine a turkey -- the white meat is so flavorful and moist when brined.  I've tried stuffed pork chops, cookies, you name it.  It's also opened me up to brining -- I brined some pork chops and then grilled them, and they were fantastic.

Anyway, if you're a beginning cook, Good Eats is really a terrific show.

Andrikos

Good Eats
« Reply #1 on: 6 Sep 2005, 11:49 pm »
Excellent thread CTV!

Alton is the MAN!
I watch the show with my kids every day.
I made a bunch of his recipes and they're all awesome.
Try the pizza dough recipe.
Ultra easy and great fun for the kids to build their own pizza.

Too bad his DVDs are too expensive.
I would have bought them all.

sm4r2d2

Good Eats
« Reply #2 on: 6 Sep 2005, 11:50 pm »
Have a spare room?  :lol:

Charles Calkins

Good Eats
« Reply #3 on: 6 Sep 2005, 11:55 pm »
ctvigen:
 Now we are talking about something I understand.

FOOD!!!  :D  :D  :D

Cheers
                                      Charlie :D

Soundbitten

Good Eats
« Reply #4 on: 7 Sep 2005, 01:13 am »
I've been brining for a coupla years now...it makes a HUGE difference

jermmd

Good Eats
« Reply #5 on: 7 Sep 2005, 01:21 am »
Bob,

Now I really have to get over there! I'll have to check that show out. We could have a NY Audio Rave/Bike trip/cook-off.

gonefishin

Good Eats
« Reply #6 on: 7 Sep 2005, 02:42 am »
Yeah...Alton's fun to watch...and learn.  His book I'm just here for the food is real good too.  It has a few recipes, but goes thru the proper techniques...and things to keep in mind.

Another nice Tv cooking show is America's Test Kitchen Live.  It's filled with tried and tested recipes.  usually two to three a show.  They also have a tasting and equipment section.  You'll love this...the tasting is single blind ;)  It's on PBS.  Actually PBS has quite a few nice cooking shows.

Don't forget the basics too.  It's amazing what homemade bread crumbs could do for eggplant parmesean, meatloaf, etc.

Hmmm...does anyone in California have access to buy fresh
extra virgin olive oil?  I've found a couple suppliers...but they only ship in full cartons or buckets.

thanks,
     dan

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Good Eats
« Reply #7 on: 7 Sep 2005, 04:12 am »
It's not just good for noobs- it's a seriously good show, period.  I still learn a few tricks from AB, and I've been cheffin' professionally for years.

Dan Driscoll

Good Eats
« Reply #8 on: 7 Sep 2005, 03:50 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
It's not just good for noobs- it's a seriously good show, period.  I still learn a few tricks from AB, and I've been cheffin' professionally for years.

I'm not a professional, but I have been a pretty serious amateur cook for many years and I've also learned a lot from AB. The best thing about his show is that he explains things in plain English, yet still manages to get in all the relevent technical stuff, without boring the non-cook viewers. Even my non-cooking wife enjoys watching Good Eats and has learned quite a bit.

mcgsxr

Good Eats
« Reply #9 on: 7 Sep 2005, 06:43 pm »
I find that show great for 3 reasons:

1 - Alton knows his stuff.
2 - The show clearly presents excellent ideas, clearly.
3 - They have fun with themselves, often doing silly skits etc.

That magic combo adds up to a show that I wish I could watch over and over.

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
Good Eats
« Reply #10 on: 7 Sep 2005, 10:01 pm »
Quote from: mcgsxr

1 - Alton knows his stuff.
2 - The show clearly presents excellent ideas, clearly.
3 - They have fun with themselves, often doing silly skits etc.

I've witnessed how the presentation, when looked at in the reverse order, can initially turn off some, particularly #3, but 2&1 eventually wins just about everyone over...case in point, the dad of one of my sons girlfriend would make snide remarks when they would both watch AB,  one of his shows was on brewing beer, they both noticed him watching with no snide comments.  As it turns out he had issues when making home brew in the past, took some of his advice, had reasonable success and has been a fan ever since.

tex-amp

Good Eats
« Reply #11 on: 8 Sep 2005, 07:07 am »
I am a chef and I love AB.   I too can do without the skits. I wish his show had been around 15 years ago when I was in chef school.