Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

stonedeaf

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #1400 on: 10 Jun 2015, 01:54 pm »
I don't believe Crown has supplied a schematic to anyone yet ?And given the complexity of the custom IC that is the "brains" of these things - if it doesn't originate from Crown it won't tell you much. Has anyone contacted Crown directly and asked for a schematic ?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #1401 on: 10 Jun 2015, 05:08 pm »
The Crown XLS 1500 is up and running at my place.

Did you find / buy your XLS in Canada?

mcgsxr

« Reply #1402 on: 10 Jun 2015, 05:59 pm »
I had been searching the Toronto Kijiji and Craigslist ads for weeks but never found one for anything less than $500 new in Canada.

I was lucky enough to connect with OzarkTom who sold me his cryo'd 1500.

mcgsxr

« Reply #1403 on: 12 Jun 2015, 02:42 pm »
Review posted in the Critic's Circle here - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=135214.new#new

Net net, its a keeper for me and I am glad I found one.

Jack Gilvey

« Reply #1404 on: 15 Jul 2015, 04:41 pm »
These seem to be coming down in price with the intro. of the XX02's. Bought an XLS 2000 new for $280 a couple weeks ago and see them for $250 now (B&H).  Truly wonderful with the MMG's - opens them right up dynamically and highs seem perfect to me (1-ohm resistor on the MMG tweeter).

SlyFuu

« Reply #1405 on: 15 Jul 2015, 07:59 pm »
I was thinking of picking up an XLS 1500 on B&H for 209. I'd like to see how this would pair with the Marantz SR5008 in my HT setup. I haven't been completely happy with the Marantz sound wise since I bought it. I feel like it's a bit warm for my taste.

roscoeiii

« Reply #1406 on: 15 Jul 2015, 09:39 pm »
I was thinking of picking up an XLS 1500 on B&H for 209. I'd like to see how this would pair with the Marantz SR5008 in my HT setup. I haven't been completely happy with the Marantz sound wise since I bought it. I feel like it's a bit warm for my taste.

Sly Fuu, I'd go with the 2000 or 2500 for not much more. IIRC they have a bit better specs and the price difference between the 1500 and 2000 is pretty small these days.

XLS would be a good choice if your other amp is too warm.

bearman2

« Reply #1407 on: 15 Jul 2015, 09:44 pm »
SlyFuu, try eBay and the seller with who you can make an offer. I purchased a xls 2000 at a great price plus free shipping. I think you can score a 1500 for under $200. The new models are arriving and room must be made.   jw

rodge827

« Reply #1408 on: 15 Jul 2015, 11:35 pm »
Sly Fuu, I'd go with the 2000 or 2500 for not much more. IIRC they have a bit better specs and the price difference between the 1500 and 2000 is pretty small these days.

XLS would be a good choice if your other amp is too warm.

The 1500, 2000, and 2500 have the same specs except for wattage output. The 1000 is the one with not quite as good specs.

http://www.crownaudio.com/en-US/products/compare?utf8=%E2%9C%93&product_ids[]=xls-1000&product_ids[]=xls-1500&product_ids[]=xls-2000&product_ids[]=xls-2500&commit=Compare+Selected+Products

Paste complete link to your browser and see a comparison chart.

Chris

roscoeiii

« Reply #1409 on: 16 Jul 2015, 01:07 am »
The 1500, 2000, and 2500 have the same specs except for wattage output. The 1000 is the one with not quite as good specs.

Oh right. I was confusing 1000 and 1500.

rodge827

« Reply #1410 on: 16 Jul 2015, 01:28 am »
Oh right. I was confusing 1000 and 1500.

Easy enough to do Roscoe I had to check myself. Are you still using a XLS with your SP Tech's?

roscoeiii

« Reply #1411 on: 16 Jul 2015, 02:41 am »
Easy enough to do Roscoe I had to check myself. Are you still using a XLS with your SP Tech's?

Yep, and loving the combo. Those speakers love power.

rufusblues

« Reply #1412 on: 21 Jul 2015, 02:56 pm »
Hi. New to this thread and to Audiocircle. Have been using a Crown XLS 2500 for about a year now. Upgraded power cord to Triode Wire Labs Digital HC (cost more than the amp!) and use all Triode Wire Labs cabling. Have been using Tekton M Lore until recently with TBI subwoofer; sold those to a friend and using the Lore Reference now along with the TBI sub. Oppo BDP105, also with Triode Wire Labs digital ac cable, directly into Crown amp via xlr inputs. Also using Bybee Signal Enhancers, one over the power supply of the Crown, and two under the Oppo. I feel I have tricked out the Crown to the max(!) but was wondering about adding the IFI tube buffer which you guys seem to love. BUT, my interconnects have xlr connectors and I am told that using adapters will not work as there is not enough room in the back of the buffer. I do not want to start replacing the interconnects. Anyhow, there is the Yaquin buffer on Amazon for $200, but not sure about how that would work in the system. I would rather not complicate things with a tube preamp (I have had all manner of equipment in my 40 years into this hobby...tubes (pp, se), solid state (class a, gainclone, etc.), many different speakers, cables). I would like to keep things simple, which is a nice thing about the IFI tube buffer. Any thoughts? Have wondered if it's worth trying a First Watt amp, whether that would be a significant 'upgrade'...though costly considering the price of the Crown! Some of you have had experience with the First Watt amps as well.
Thanks!
Stew

rufusblues

« Reply #1413 on: 21 Jul 2015, 11:07 pm »
Too curious about the First Watt amps to pass up a home demo of an M2 model. It may be the other extreme from the Crown, we shall see. But should be enough juice to drive the Tektons in our medium sized room. 

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #1414 on: 21 Jul 2015, 11:42 pm »
Too curious about the First Watt amps to pass up a home demo of an M2 model. It may be the other extreme from the Crown, we shall see. But should be enough juice to drive the Tektons in our medium sized room.

Welcome to AC; let us know how it turns out.

Mojo Warrior

• Reality Star
« Reply #1415 on: 22 Jul 2015, 11:55 pm »
Hi. New to this thread and to Audiocircle. Have been using a Crown XLS 2500 for about a year now. Upgraded power cord to Triode Wire Labs Digital HC (cost more than the amp!) and use all Triode Wire Labs cabling. Have been using Tekton M Lore until recently with TBI subwoofer; sold those to a friend and using the Lore Reference now along with the TBI sub. Oppo BDP105, also with Triode Wire Labs digital ac cable, directly into Crown amp via xlr inputs. Also using Bybee Signal Enhancers, one over the power supply of the Crown, and two under the Oppo. I feel I have tricked out the Crown to the max(!) but was wondering about adding the IFI tube buffer which you guys seem to love. BUT, my interconnects have xlr connectors and I am told that using adapters will not work as there is not enough room in the back of the buffer. I do not want to start replacing the interconnects. Anyhow, there is the Yaquin buffer on Amazon for $200, but not sure about how that would work in the system. I would rather not complicate things with a tube preamp (I have had all manner of equipment in my 40 years into this hobby...tubes (pp, se), solid state (class a, gainclone, etc.), many different speakers, cables). I would like to keep things simple, which is a nice thing about the IFI tube buffer. Any thoughts? Have wondered if it's worth trying a First Watt amp, whether that would be a significant 'upgrade'...though costly considering the price of the Crown! Some of you have had experience with the First Watt amps as well.
Thanks!
Stew

It seems like you already have the ideal set-up. Oppo directly into the XLS via XLR. Introducing tubes will introduce the euphonic distortions that accompany tubes. You have experience with tubes. If you like that sound go for it. Otherwise, you cannot beat a straight wire with gain for musical purity. Good amps do not have a sound signature. The biggest sonic change you could make would be to change speakers. But personally, I love my XLS and Tektons.

roscoeiii

« Reply #1416 on: 23 Jul 2015, 01:27 am »

Like others, I very much like the iTube in front of the Crown, with the 6 dB boost which lets me lower the gain on the Crown. That boost may be a bad idea with the more sensitive Tektons. But hey, don't just listen to me. Try the iTunes from a vendor like Music Direct with a good return policy.

Will ve very interested in how you like the M2 compared to the Crown. I've had both. And they are quite different sounding amps. Which is better will depend on your system and your personal preferences.

RDavidson

« Reply #1417 on: 23 Jul 2015, 02:51 am »

I like Pass amps very much and had an M2 for awhile. It's the amp that started me on my journey into class A SS, and high efficiency speakers, etc. etc. What I'll say is that the M2 is different. Some like it. Some don't. Nelson hesitated to bring it to market. This doesn't make it a "bad" amp. Not at all. Like I said, it lead me to explore further down the class A SS path. One must keep in mind that all First Watt amps are built with different goals and ideas in mind. So, each First Watt amp has it's own characteristic sound within the First Watt house. None of them are really intended to be universally usable / pleasing to all. I won't comment on my M2 experience further (yet). I think you'll find it unique and definitely different from the Crown in ways you'll likely enjoy and in other ways you might not. Please post your thoughts when you've had a chance to test and compare. :thumb:

roscoeiii

« Reply #1418 on: 23 Jul 2015, 02:55 am »
+1 to the above comment.

OzarkTom

« Reply #1419 on: 23 Jul 2015, 03:10 am »
My buddy Rex use to own a First Watt J2, but prefers the XLS over that one.