Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

barryso

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #1300 on: 20 Mar 2015, 01:13 pm »
I'm looking forward to hearing the amp.  There are several preamps in the "collection" that range from not all that tooby sounding to very tooby sounding.  All have < 200 ohm impedance and varying amounts of gain.

One of the preamps is pretty laid back sounding and it sounded best in it's previous owners system when he had a couple of brute force solid state monoblocks.  There wasn't a subtle thing about those amps and the tooby pre really made them shine. Curious to see how it gets along with the crown even though the descriptions of the crown sound aren't anywhere near as brutal as those old monoblocks.

The one thing I can't get over is those of you that found a used crown for so little money.  I've been on Craigslist and Search Tempest looking for suitable candidates for a few months now.  Yeah, they turn up but the folks selling them want way too much for them.  Some want about the same as you can buy them new.  Where are you finding these bargains?

rodge827

« Reply #1301 on: 20 Mar 2015, 02:07 pm »

Thus the recommendations for "warm" sounding speakers. There are work-arounds for this, ie. tubes, cables, EQ, etc.

But after working the amp into the system, with other adjustments, such as speaker toe-in,  modding the binding posts, etc. AND getting use to the sound, they are satisfying. No 2d problems here.

And they are smooth sounding in my system. The LS50s are said to work best with a toe-in at 45 degrees, straight at ya. Couldn't do that with the previous amp without fatigue. Can now and it makes a giant improvement in the soundstage.

So true about the work around with the Crown XLS. I listened to the amp with and with out the iTube, and there is no question that the iTube is what "made" this amp for me.

With other amps I had the toe-in on my Shelby+Kroll monitors brushing past my ears. They are now pointed at my face and "Oh yeah! now we got something special here".  No 2D here either and not quiet a full 3D presentation but with the improved sound stage and imaging listening is a pleasure.

I'm looking forward to hearing the amp.  There are several preamps in the "collection" that range from not all that tooby sounding to very tooby sounding.  All have < 200 ohm impedance and varying amounts of gain.

One of the preamps is pretty laid back sounding and it sounded best in it's previous owners system when he had a couple of brute force solid state monoblocks.  There wasn't a subtle thing about those amps and the tooby pre really made them shine. Curious to see how it gets along with the crown even though the descriptions of the crown sound aren't anywhere near as brutal as those old monoblocks.

The one thing I can't get over is those of you that found a used crown for so little money.  I've been on Craigslist and Search Tempest looking for suitable candidates for a few months now.  Yeah, they turn up but the folks selling them want way too much for them.  Some want about the same as you can buy them new.  Where are you finding these bargains?

barryso,

Looking forward to your findings with the different preamps you have. I'm hoping to pick up or build a tube pre in the next few months and the more info about how they interact with the Crown is valuable.

Keep searching Ebay and CL you will find a deal on one. Heck even at $399.00 for a new XLS 1500 you can't go wrong.  :D

Chris   

« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2015, 05:51 pm by rodge827 »

barnestn

« Reply #1302 on: 20 Mar 2015, 03:05 pm »
Keep searching Ebay and CL you will find a deal on one. Heck even at $399.00 for a new XLS 1500 you can't go wrong.

Or, Barryso can step up to the XLS 2000 by purchasing mine which is as new and for sale at $375 including shipping. :D

Odal3

« Reply #1303 on: 20 Mar 2015, 03:09 pm »
Also check music stores for used ones. Check for example Guitar Center. Amazon sometimes have good deals on used ones as well if you check the other sellers.

jk@home

« Reply #1304 on: 20 Mar 2015, 04:36 pm »
I like to take advantage of Guitar Center's financing deals whenever I can. Bought my Crowns from them (new), and got the "18 months same as cash" deal to pay them off.

barryso

« Reply #1305 on: 20 Mar 2015, 07:10 pm »
All good points.  Many thanks.

Barnestn, appreciate the offer but let me get through the audition first.   :icon_lol:

Chris, I'll try to note whatever changes go on with the preamps.  Will probably mess with plugging the crown into the wall and the power conditioner, too. 

Hope to try it on a couple of sets of speakers while it's here.  One set isn't very efficient but a very easy load while the other set isn't efficient and isn't an easy load.  It should be entertaining.

rodge827

« Reply #1306 on: 20 Mar 2015, 11:31 pm »

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
« Reply #1307 on: 21 Mar 2015, 01:31 am »
I have two 2500's that are only months old and used every other week in my main rig .Looking to sell them . Current new prices are $560 . Let me know if anyone wants one . Will ship and can use PayPal .

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #1308 on: 21 Mar 2015, 01:33 am »
I have two 2500's that are only months old and used every other week in my main rig .Looking to sell them . Current new prices are $560 . Let me know if anyone wants one . Will ship and can use PayPal .

Cool Maplegrove, did you end up deciding to keep the Ncores?

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
« Reply #1309 on: 21 Mar 2015, 02:12 am »
Not really sure what's next in my amp travels . Might sell the ncores too and try some class a amps for a bit . One thing that really sweetened my experience with the Crowns is a Sunfire Classic Tube preamp . I must say the amp will get out of the way if paired with the right preamp .

roscoeiii

« Reply #1310 on: 21 Mar 2015, 04:09 pm »
XLS amp folks, I just wanted to point out the iTube for sale here at a good price (great seller too, BTW):

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=132441.new#new

a.wayne

« Reply #1311 on: 21 Mar 2015, 05:41 pm »
Not really sure what's next in my amp travels . Might sell the ncores too and try some class a amps for a bit . One thing that really sweetened my experience with the Crowns is a Sunfire Classic Tube preamp . I must say the amp will get out of the way if paired with the right preamp .

Interested in comparing your NCore to the cherry amp?  Tommy is looking to do a comparison between  the two ....

roscoeiii

« Reply #1312 on: 21 Mar 2015, 05:53 pm »
Jackman and I both gave XLS ncore comparisons earlier this thread. Pretty speaker dependent.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #1313 on: 21 Mar 2015, 06:37 pm »
Barry,

The Amp is on its way back East as of yesterday, I had it expedited so it should show up on Wed. I used your home address and not the PO Box. Shipping is USPS.

Looking forward to your impressions.

Greg

a.wayne

« Reply #1314 on: 21 Mar 2015, 07:03 pm »
Jackman and I both gave XLS ncore comparisons earlier this thread. Pretty speaker dependent.

Yes, but this comparison is between the NCore and the cherry , maybe the cherry vs XLS might be on the table too ....

a.wayne

« Reply #1315 on: 21 Mar 2015, 07:05 pm »
Barry,

The Amp is on its way back East as of yesterday, I had it expedited so it should show up on Wed. I used your home address and not the PO Box. Shipping is USPS.

Looking forward to your impressions.

Greg

Greg,

Not sure , did you give your final synopsis on the XLS ....?

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #1316 on: 21 Mar 2015, 07:46 pm »
Greg,

Not sure , did you give your final synopsis on the XLS ....?

Hi A.Wayne,

Yes, I did a review a few posts back. After rereading Scott's post I think we came to a similar conclusion although I think they are a great deal for the budget minded.

Greg

roscoeiii

« Reply #1317 on: 21 Mar 2015, 11:06 pm »

Yes, but this comparison is between the NCore and the cherry , maybe the cherry vs XLS might be on the table too ....

Oops,  need to read more closely...

barryso

« Reply #1318 on: 22 Mar 2015, 12:44 am »
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll keep an eye out for the box.

Looking forward to it although it's showing up much earlier than expected.  I just got a Raspberry Pi and a Hifiberry Digi card (to feed a DAC via coax sp/dif) and it's breaking in.  Given the original schedule for the crown tour it seemed like the amp would be here in April and the Raspberry and Digi would have had a lot more hours on them.

I have no idea if computers and digital outputs burn in but it seems like everything else does so it's set to run music constantly for a few days ... just to get a bunch of hours on it.

Early impressions are that it sounds different driving the DAC than the Squeezebox.  Might know more when it has 50 or 100 hours on it.  Should have some time on it by the time the crown gets here.

Barry

barryso

« Reply #1319 on: 23 Mar 2015, 02:10 pm »
Gearing up for the crown amp.  Ordered some speakon connectors and new 12au7's for one of the preamps.

Took the el34 tube amp and it's matching preamp out of the system and put back the tooby preamp (a conrad johnson) and a pair of inexpensive Marantz home theater monoblocks. 

The cj and the Marantz amps are a good, but not great, combo.  The amps are the weak link.  The cj preamp and the TPA3116 were a fantastic combo so there's reason to believe the crown will do well in that mix.

Looking forward to the audition.