Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

roscoeiii

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #1060 on: 19 Jan 2015, 04:00 am »
ITube cryo'd makes a huge improvement, at least 50-70% better.

Oh, I am showing up at cryoman's door with a bucket full of stuff to cryo...

roscoeiii

« Reply #1061 on: 19 Jan 2015, 04:02 am »
Yeah, 9v supply is on the t-do-list. But what to get a good linear supply for first? DSPeaker or iTube? Maybe only you can help me answeer that.

Roscoe

Also try and obtain a 9vdc linear power supply, it seriously improves the iTube performance.

Chris

rodge827

« Reply #1062 on: 19 Jan 2015, 04:26 am »
Roscoe,

That's a tough one...Hmm, I would do the Dual Core first that way you are getting the better signal through the iTube. Give Larry at Comart (800-777-2708) a call and tell him what you want 2 Astron 11A's one modified for 9v output, should run you about $240.00 to your door. Or look around for a used 12v Astron on CL near you they usually run about $25-$50 and then give Larry a call for a 9v.

Chris

mhamel

« Reply #1063 on: 19 Jan 2015, 05:05 am »
Great thread... count me as another believer in the XLS series, I've been running them for the past couple of years.

I started with the XLS200, which retired the Sunfire amp driving the mains in my H/T system, driven from the balanced outputs of a Marantz AV7701 Pre/Pro.  While it's outstanding with movies, it also does a surprisingly good job with 2-channel.  To my ears, the Sunfire sounded flat and boring in comparison - not even close.

Since then, I've added a 1500 driving a pair of Mini Maggies in my home office system, where I do most of my 2-channel listening. I'm driving it with a BAT VK-5i preamp and have to say I've been pretty blown away with the result.

I'm looking forward to reading more impressions/comparisons of the modded versions.

-Mike

OzarkTom

« Reply #1064 on: 19 Jan 2015, 05:44 am »
On the iTube, cryo first, astron second, cryo power cord last, if you have to do it in steps.

Rclark

« Reply #1065 on: 20 Jan 2015, 08:21 pm »
I have an Astron sitting around I might not need.

roscoeiii

« Reply #1066 on: 20 Jan 2015, 11:13 pm »
I have an Astron sitting around I might not need.

Shoot me a PM if so!

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #1067 on: 21 Jan 2015, 12:59 am »
Great thread... count me as another believer in the XLS series, I've been running them for the past couple of years.

I started with the XLS200, which retired the Sunfire amp driving the mains in my H/T system, driven from the balanced outputs of a Marantz AV7701 Pre/Pro.  While it's outstanding with movies, it also does a surprisingly good job with 2-channel.  To my ears, the Sunfire sounded flat and boring in comparison - not even close.

Since then, I've added a 1500 driving a pair of Mini Maggies in my home office system, where I do most of my 2-channel listening. I'm driving it with a BAT VK-5i preamp and have to say I've been pretty blown away with the result.

I'm looking forward to reading more impressions/comparisons of the modded versions.

-Mike

Welcome Mike!

That looks like a pretty nice pre you got there! I'll be sending in my 1500's to get cryoed here shortly but the Salis mod already makes a nice improvement. Feel free to pm Salis once you get enough posts tallied, I think it's reasonably priced for the results you get.

Love to hear more about that BAT!

OzarkTom

« Reply #1068 on: 21 Jan 2015, 01:18 am »

-Mike

I was wondering last week on how the Crown would sound on the mini maggies or MMG's.

MMG's are $599 and a new Crown 1500 at about $350 would make a fantastic system for less than $1K. But if you find both items used, it would be closer to $600. Now that would be a heck of a deal. :thumb:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #1069 on: 21 Jan 2015, 01:23 am »

I was wondering last week on how the Crown would sound on the mini maggies or MMG's.

MMG's are $599 and a new Crown 1500 at about $350 would make a fantastic system for less than $1K. But if you find both items used, it would be closer to $600. Now that would be a heck of a deal. :thumb:

Man, that does sound like a sweet deal. Does Magnepan offer something like a 45 or 60 day in home trial on all their speakers?

mhamel

« Reply #1070 on: 21 Jan 2015, 01:31 am »
Man, that does sound like a sweet deal. Does Magnepan offer something like a 45 or 60 day in home trial on all their speakers?

They do.  30 days on the Mini Maggies and 60 days on the MMG.

-Mike

OzarkTom

« Reply #1071 on: 21 Jan 2015, 01:34 am »

I found a used pair of MMG's for $400 in Alabama.

http://gadsden.craigslist.org/sys/4827572317.html

OzarkTom

« Reply #1072 on: 21 Jan 2015, 01:38 am »
If you live close to Albany New York, here is a pair of MMG's for $300.

http://albany.craigslist.org/ele/4842194588.html

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #1073 on: 21 Jan 2015, 06:45 am »
I can see Magnepans and the Crowns being a perfect match, what with their needing serious power and possibly smoothing the top just a little - at least that's how I hear them.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #1074 on: 21 Jan 2015, 12:38 pm »
I guess I'll find out as the tour amp is on it's way to me.
I can hook it up to MMGs, 1.7s and 3.7s and see what we've got.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #1075 on: 21 Jan 2015, 12:56 pm »
I guess I'll find out as the tour amp is on it's way to me.
I can hook it up to MMGs, 1.7s and 3.7s and see what we've got.

Perfect timing!  :D

Folsom

« Reply #1076 on: 21 Jan 2015, 07:12 pm »
Ozark, have you done a comparison on Cryo'd units?

Tomy2Tone has his done but can't compare. I've been looking for more possible mods but there isn't a lot one can do on these. Even what might be possible takes more serious gear than I use at home.

Replacing the RCA jacks could be not too hard. I'm not sure what the benefits would be.

To me the best way to feed signal that I can come up with is not to circumvent the balanced input by using simple non-transformer adapters. I think if you used a transformer to convert single ended to balanced and fed it with balanced connection, you'd have the best sound. It could be worth a shot.

No one has had me modify for Ponoma posts. If I do it (and charge), I'll be attempting to make it copper the whole way. As is the signal does pass through steel a little bit; but obviously it isn't hard to beat the stock unusable form.

OzarkTom

« Reply #1077 on: 21 Jan 2015, 07:38 pm »
Cryo amp is here, now to find some time this weekend to get it hooked up. :thumb:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #1078 on: 21 Jan 2015, 07:43 pm »
Cryo amp is here, now to find some time this weekend to get it hooked up. :thumb:

Bout time!! :D

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #1079 on: 21 Jan 2015, 09:27 pm »
Just got off the phone with Larry at Comart and ordered an Astron 11a with the 9v output. Larry was super nice. Thanks Chris!

So how do you guys hook this up to your ifi itube? Is it a cable you make? If so, whatcha gotta do?