Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

Folsom

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #980 on: 7 Jan 2015, 06:48 pm »
Hmm, well, I don't know why they didn't have a digital in! Or why single ended is so quiet.

It would explain why it's so sensitive to some power mods. If only the front end was more accessible, more might be done.

Folsom

« Reply #981 on: 7 Jan 2015, 10:14 pm »
TL494C at input
3x Mc33079DG
sn61112b5

Two proprietary chips to drive class D TO-220-3 looking chips.

steve f

« Reply #982 on: 7 Jan 2015, 10:21 pm »
Now I know why our kittens can hear me pop open a pull tab off of their food cans, even if sleeping a couple of rooms away. They ignore other pop tops.

Steve

steve f

« Reply #983 on: 7 Jan 2015, 10:27 pm »
A digital in would be a nice addition.

Steve

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #984 on: 7 Jan 2015, 11:00 pm »
What do you mean?  I asked the Crown guys this specifically. 

-Jim

I wonder if it ever gets converted back to analog... they said it gets converted to digital for sure but did not specify there was a D > A conversion after that.

JDUBS

« Reply #985 on: 7 Jan 2015, 11:13 pm »
I wonder if it ever gets converted back to analog... they said it gets converted to digital for sure but did not specify there was a D > A conversion after that.

I mean, I think it has to, right?  or there would be no sound.

-Jim

Odal3

« Reply #986 on: 7 Jan 2015, 11:48 pm »
+1 for digital in!

Found this on the crown forum from the forum admin:
"Well, if it's good sound you're looking for then the subject of AD/DA conversions have been beat to the ground, the recomendations are as follows:
At 48khz sampling rate, no more then one AD/DA conversion.
At 96khz sampling rate, no more then two AD/DA conversions.
At 192khz sampling rate, no more then four AD/DA conversions.
You will not be able to hear the difference even if you break these rules of thumb in A/B test unless you're a super audiophile."
http://www.crownaudio.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4433

The forum post also has a recommendation for the older macrotech series as an alternative if no A/D conversion is desired:" They are compleatly analog and are of great quality, price/watt is also great". Has anyone heard one of those?

I had originally planned on getting a minidsp to use with the crown and other amps, but the above "rule" makes me think twice about that.

BTW: Regardless of what the specs says, I'm really enjoying the music from my Crown XLS 2000. I even got a set of speak-on, and I like them a lot!

rodge827

« Reply #987 on: 8 Jan 2015, 02:31 am »
A digital in would be a nice addition.

Steve

Was thinking the same thing!

jk@home

« Reply #988 on: 8 Jan 2015, 03:02 am »

http://www.crownaudio.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4433

BTW: Regardless of what the specs says, I'm really enjoying the music from my Crown XLS 2000. I even got a set of speak-on, and I like them a lot!

LOL, that OP is drilling the Crown rep for a recommendation of his competitor's amp. Cudos to the rep for his patients.

Extra conversion or not, the Crowns still sound great for the money spent.

Folsom

« Reply #989 on: 8 Jan 2015, 06:00 am »
The crown doesn't have to use standard conversions, either.

mjosef

« Reply #990 on: 8 Jan 2015, 06:44 am »
I think the Crown "guy" might be mistaken...with my Xti, I can hear a distinct 'drop' in SQ with the DSP engaged(but with no specific EQ or other processing ie with a blank DSP setting/zero default) vs DSP Bypassed mode.
Unless the XLS does things differently, I would trust my own ears vs what some unverified Crown spokesman says.
And DSP means just that...Digital Signal Processing...tells you right there.  :oops:

3 days without internet access...so catching up.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #991 on: 8 Jan 2015, 09:08 pm »
Just an update on where the tour is...and is going.

mjosef- Brooklyn

SteveFord- PA

jtsnead- MD

Freo-1- MA

Peter J- ID

S Clark- TX

gregfisk- WA

Bill of NY

« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2015, 11:59 pm by Tomy2Tone »

rodge827

« Reply #992 on: 8 Jan 2015, 09:49 pm »
Sent the amp to mjosef today he will have it on Saturday. I tried to hand deliver it to him, but the snow and my schedule made that problematic. Missed the PO last night by a coupla minuets so it is off to him today.

Enjoy

Anyone in the S. Jersey area who would like to stop by for a listen is welcome to.
Send me a PM and we'll put something together.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #993 on: 8 Jan 2015, 10:47 pm »
 Anybody care to venture an opinion on how the XLS 1500 would stack up against the ClassDaudio SDS-258? They cost about the same (although the SDS258 is a kit) and have similar power output. The SDS-258 would probably be more suited to mods.
http://classdaudio.com/amplifier-kits/sds-258-kit.html

wushuliu

« Reply #994 on: 8 Jan 2015, 10:57 pm »
Anybody care to venture an opinion on how the XLS 1500 would stack up against the ClassDaudio SDS-258? They cost about the same (although the SDS258 is a kit) and have similar power output. The SDS-258 would probably be more suited to mods.
http://classdaudio.com/amplifier-kits/sds-258-kit.html

Based on the feedback for the xls my guess is they are opposites in presentation. The cds amps are smooth, laid back. The xls so far have not been described in any such or similar terms.

Just my .02

Odal3

« Reply #995 on: 8 Jan 2015, 11:36 pm »
I think the Crown "guy" might be mistaken...with my Xti, I can hear a distinct 'drop' in SQ with the DSP engaged(but with no specific EQ or other processing ie with a blank DSP setting/zero default) vs DSP Bypassed mode.
Unless the XLS does things differently, I would trust my own ears vs what some unverified Crown spokesman says.
And DSP means just that...Digital Signal Processing...tells you right there.  :oops:

3 days without internet access...so catching up.
Per this website, even the xti has the conversion in bypass mode. The link also shows some independent measurement of the xti and other amps for those interested. I don't have the knowledge to judge it for accuracy but still an interesting read.
http://www.abeltronics.co.uk/amptesting.php?z=crown_XTI-1000

a.wayne

« Reply #996 on: 9 Jan 2015, 12:01 pm »
The xti1000 is really a 4 ohm (min) load amplfier and with enough  power drop off at freq extreme tells me why it would sound forward in the mids and it does appear  digital processing  regardless of bypass or not,  due to the amt of phase shift at 10K ...

jk@home

« Reply #997 on: 9 Jan 2015, 12:38 pm »
With this talk of extra conversion, the preamp I'm using takes a SE input signal and outputs it both SE and balanced (with the use of balancing op amps). After doing some comparisons, I feel in my case I get better resolution using the SE inputs of the Crown, and shorter IC/longer speaker cables. FYI.

I have to run the preamp gain up a touch more, but having the Crown input knobs set at 12:oclock, am still getting almost no hiss out of the speakers. Inaudible > a foot from the drivers.

Also regarding power conditioners (which I don't have any at the moment). There is an old thread over on the AVS forum, of a Crown Drivecore review when they first came out. The OP stated that he was able to measure noise being outputted from the Crown into his ac power circuit. So is it possible that the Crowns themselves don't need power conditioning, but they need to be isolated from analog stuff? If so, how would this be achieved?

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1295375-review-crown-new-drivecore-xls-1000-class-d-pro-amp.html

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
« Reply #998 on: 9 Jan 2015, 05:20 pm »
Wow , Just read the av forum thread link posted above . One guy was thrilled to pay around $1500 for a xls 1000 . What do they go for now ? LOL

jk@home

« Reply #999 on: 9 Jan 2015, 05:38 pm »
Wow , Just read the av forum thread link posted above . One guy was thrilled to pay around $1500 for a xls 1000 . What do they go for now ? LOL

I think he was referring to setting up a 7.1 HT system, which would require 8 or 9 channels, depending on if the Crown was also used for the sub(s). So that's 4 or 5 amps.