Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

a.wayne

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #840 on: 21 Dec 2014, 07:26 pm »
Man ,

Whats the big deal guys , its only Audio,  :roll: each should take what  they want from the experience and move on, i wont be buying any NASA MOONGEL or Dots :)  but hey if anyone else does , i can see adding mass to a cheap light weight cabinet making a difference  thou and I'm happy to see these tours .. :thumb:

Ozark, on the chokes did you get the J or H version ...?

rodge827

« Reply #841 on: 21 Dec 2014, 07:28 pm »
Chris, your choice for Christmas ornaments is exquisite!   :notworthy:

Hopefully the tour amp arrives before the holiday, been waiting for your thoughts...for a while!  :D

Thanks for the compliment.
When the Holidays get me down and the stress is just too much, I grab an ornament, pop the top, and pour joy into a frozen pint glass.
Ahhhh now that's relief!  :xmas:

Yeah I hope the amp shows up soon too...Yo Roscoe got a tracking number for me?   :D

Chris

OzarkTom

« Reply #842 on: 21 Dec 2014, 07:42 pm »

Ozark, on the chokes did you get the J or H version ...?

I ordered the M version but have not had the time to hook it up. My wife now has the house in disarray for the family Christmas party this week, so no more serious listening until that happens. :cry:

steve f

« Reply #843 on: 23 Dec 2014, 10:46 pm »
I placed the new xls1500 in my system. It sounds a bit closed in compared to the first one. I'm running, or at least trying to run it 24/7 for a week. The sound is improving rapidly. Next up bridging and also running the amps as monoblocks using a single channel off each.
I look forward to more reviews by the tour group.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #844 on: 24 Dec 2014, 12:42 am »
I placed the new xls1500 in my system. It sounds a bit closed in compared to the first one. I'm running, or at least trying to run it 24/7 for a week. The sound is improving rapidly. Next up bridging and also running the amps as monoblocks using a single channel off each.
I look forward to more reviews by the tour group.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

Merry Christmas to you steve f and thanks for sharing!

Definitely keep us posted as to how everything goes. Hopefully after the holidays we'll get some more reviews.

rodge827

« Reply #845 on: 24 Dec 2014, 01:08 am »
Hopefully after the holidays we'll get some more reviews.

The tour will continue!  :D

Roscoe has sent me a tracking number and when the amp arrives I will post accordingly.

Chris

roscoeiii

« Reply #846 on: 24 Dec 2014, 03:44 am »
The tour will continue!  :D

Roscoe has sent me a tracking number and when the amp arrives I will post accordingly.

Chris

Yes, apologies on messing up the shipping to Chris. Please berate me accordingly and put me last in line for other tours.

OzarkTom

« Reply #847 on: 24 Dec 2014, 04:28 am »
Yes, apologies on messing up the shipping to Chris. Please berate me accordingly and put me last in line for other tours.

Any tracking number for me yet? My wife and I are going to be gone for a few days and I don't want to miss it. I still need to install my USA made Pomona binding posts in the Salis amp and see how that sounds before I send it to the cryoman.

roscoeiii

« Reply #848 on: 24 Dec 2014, 04:53 am »
They couldn't guarantee delivery before you left so I held onto it. Shoot me a PM to remind me when you get back.

Folsom

« Reply #849 on: 24 Dec 2014, 06:51 pm »
When you go to put binding posts in, go to hardware store and get an extra nut per binding post. Use this nut to lock the second in place.

You can get a single tight, but it's easier to use a locknut and less likely to move.

Jazzaudio

« Reply #850 on: 25 Dec 2014, 03:27 am »
Christmas came early for me.   I was unaware of this thread, having talked about my discovery of the XLS1500 on another circle (Omega).  Obviously a shoddy online search was previously conducted by me...because my nephew found this!  I see a lot of familiar names....this is obviously the place to be!

For the past several days in between food and football we've all been sitting around listening to music through the XLS1500 with my Omegas, and thoroughly enjoying the music: jazz, Christmas, more jazz, classical. Before I use to comment on the sound when family is around.   Now I just enjoy music. Perfect reproduction?  Doubt it.  But the amp does so many things well I'm getting to the point of not caring.   

roscoeiii

« Reply #851 on: 26 Dec 2014, 05:33 pm »
Tour moves on! According to FedEx, the tour XLS is on the truck for delivery to Chris (rodge827). Look forward to your impressions!

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #852 on: 26 Dec 2014, 05:50 pm »
Tour moves on! According to FedEx, the tour XLS is on the truck for delivery to Chris (rodge827). Look forward to your impressions!

Sweet!

Hey Roscoe, has there been a combination or setup that you've liked with your new SP Techs so far or are you still experimenting?

roscoeiii

« Reply #853 on: 26 Dec 2014, 06:15 pm »
Sweet!

Hey Roscoe, has there been a combination or setup that you've liked with your new SP Techs so far or are you still experimenting?

And according to FedEx, it is delivered. Enjoy Chris!

I am planning on A/Bing the 2000s as monos vs one in stereo this weekend. As you may recall, Jack had a preference for 1 2000 in stereo over the bridged configuration when he was over. I hadn't reached a conclusion, and will go back and listen for the things Jack preferred in the single 2000.

I'll also finally get around to hooking them up to my Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen IIs, which I think could be an excellent match for the XLS due to their laid back presentation of music. I've had to do what I can to the VR-4s with paired equipment to goose them a bit more forward.

And as forward as Jack's preamp turned out to be, there is a real possibility that too forward a combo would pose synergy problems.

rodge827

« Reply #854 on: 26 Dec 2014, 06:34 pm »
Yep it arrived about 30 mins ago.
Hope to set it up and let it run in for a while.
Still have many Christmas obligations over the long weekend and will do some listening (got some good tunes for Christmas) when I can .
Will post conclusions towards the end of next week.

Hope everyone was blessed during this holiday time,

Chris

OzarkTom

« Reply #855 on: 29 Dec 2014, 01:18 am »
Here is someone with 5 used 2000's and 7 used 2500 amps. :o

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/msg/4816281488.html

a.wayne

« Reply #856 on: 29 Dec 2014, 05:41 pm »
Thks for posting the link Tom .....

OzarkTom

« Reply #857 on: 29 Dec 2014, 09:47 pm »
Heckufadeal on this one. A 2000 for 200 bucks.

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/4821761954.html

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #858 on: 29 Dec 2014, 10:13 pm »
Should be receiving my two Crown 1500's tomorrow from Salis Audio. Looking forward to seeing the effect of the mods.

Reached in the back of my closet and yanked out a Rogue Perseus to put in the mix. Almost forgot I had it. Sounds fantastic with the Pascal amp from Aluminatti!

After the Crowns settle in I'll see how the Perseus handles things with them. Anybody else using a tubed pre with the Crowns?

rodge827

« Reply #859 on: 29 Dec 2014, 10:20 pm »
Anybody else using a tubed pre with the Crowns?

Ifi ITube as buffer between pre and your amp.  :D