Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

Tomy2Tone

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #740 on: 14 Dec 2014, 07:33 pm »
I happened to stumble across a review on a home theater site last year where a guy was driving some Revel Salon's for two channel . He stated the Crown was the best amp he had used on the revels , even after using some real big buck amps . He described them as very neutral .Definitely can spend more on ones speakers with the savings of money . got to like that !

Can you post this review if possible? Would like to know what other amps he was using before settling on the Crown.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #741 on: 14 Dec 2014, 09:06 pm »
That new post I had mentioned is #729.

Welcome to AC, 'sistemizer'!

Michael

roscoeiii

« Reply #742 on: 14 Dec 2014, 09:15 pm »
Speaking of experience with other amps,  I think someone asked about other amp experience.  Here is a list of other amps I've owned at one point or another. I've also heard many more in other,  less familiar systems, though then the amp's contributions are more difficult to judge.

First Watt F1, F2, F3, F4, F5, M2 (from my low powered days)
Atmasphere S30
Miniwatt N3
Pass Aleph 30
Rogue Stereo 90 (upgraded to Super Magnum)
Class D SDS 125
Butler 2250

Hmmm,  what else am I forgetting?

roscoeiii

« Reply #743 on: 14 Dec 2014, 09:16 pm »
Oh,  and the great Butler 2250.

OzarkTom

« Reply #744 on: 14 Dec 2014, 09:24 pm »
the Crown is good if your a dj but not for high end critical

Have you ever heard the Crown amp with reference speakers? And if so, what reference speakers were they? Why only for DJ?

Folsom

« Reply #745 on: 14 Dec 2014, 09:25 pm »
Roscoe, What if you number them on how you like them?

roscoeiii

« Reply #746 on: 14 Dec 2014, 11:47 pm »
Roscoe, What if you number them on how you like them?

Well,  since it is a speaker matching exercise once you get to the quality of some of these amps,  it is a matter of synergy and personal preference for a certain style of sound.

That said,  some standouts in the systems suited to them are the First Watt F1, the F3, Atmasphere S30. Those were great with high  efficiency speakers.  In more demanding systems,  the Butler was fabulous with my SP Tech Minis. While the Rogue was the best I tried with my Von Schweikerts.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #747 on: 15 Dec 2014, 12:00 am »
Hmmm,  what else am I forgetting?

Decware SE84B   :green:

Folsom

« Reply #748 on: 15 Dec 2014, 12:03 am »
I'm curious where the F series compares to the DriveCores. The F series can be built for a fairly low amount of money if you don't mind a hack-slob case. If you do, then you're talking hundreds more.

roscoeiii

« Reply #749 on: 15 Dec 2014, 12:34 am »
Decware SE84B   :green:

Oh yeah,  that Decware was great. A good friend is running it in a great rig with his Klipsch.

roscoeiii

« Reply #750 on: 15 Dec 2014, 12:42 am »
I'm curious where the F series compares to the DriveCores. The F series can be built for a fairly low amount of money if you don't mind a hack-slob case. If you do, then you're talking hundreds more.

Been a while since I have had speakers well suited to the FirstWatt designs. And I do think that the 6moons reviews capture their sound nicely. Though I know Srajan's  style of writing isn't everyone's fave. I think I'd probably stick with a FirstWatt design if using high sensitivity speakers,  especially if they didn't respond well to a high damping factor. Some amps with high damping factor can feel overdamped in the bass on speakers like Zu,  Lowthers, etc. The Pass Aleph 30 for example was overdamped with the Zu and similar DIY efforts I paired it with.

So not sure there are many speakers you'd be deciding between one or the other on. Too different amps, IMO.

OzarkTom

« Reply #751 on: 15 Dec 2014, 01:15 am »
 :o

Just after only one hour of warm-up, the Salis Audio 1500 is bettering my 2500. I didn't expect that until at least 24 hours.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #752 on: 15 Dec 2014, 01:25 am »
:o

Just after only one hour of warm-up, the Salis Audio 1500 is bettering my 2500. I didn't expect that until at least 24 hours.

Care to describe exactly what you're hearing that's better?  :D

OzarkTom

« Reply #753 on: 15 Dec 2014, 01:35 am »
Care to describe exactly what you're hearing that's better?  :D

More liquid, more articulate, the wolf on Roger Walters Amuzed to Death is now at 3 o'clock instead of 1 o'clock. Soundstage is not as forward, so the depth is farther back.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #754 on: 15 Dec 2014, 01:43 am »
More liquid, more articulate, the wolf on Roger Walters Amuzed to Death is now at 3 o'clock instead of 11 o'clock. Soundstage is not as forward, so the depth is farther back.

Sounds great! I assume it's better to get his mod before you get the cryo treatment, correct?

OzarkTom

« Reply #755 on: 15 Dec 2014, 01:45 am »
Sounds great! I assume it's better to get his mod before you get the cryo treatment, correct?

When the cryo amp comes in, we will see how it stacks up. Then the Pomona posts, and then cryo.

roscoeiii

« Reply #756 on: 15 Dec 2014, 01:48 am »
 cryo should go out tomorrow.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #757 on: 15 Dec 2014, 01:50 am »
When the cryo amp comes in, we will see how it stacks up. Then the Pomona posts, and then cryo.

Ok, gotcha. I just sent Salis a pm so I'll wait to see if he's willing to do it for me or not.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #758 on: 16 Dec 2014, 01:31 am »
 Just dropped off my Crown 1500's at FedEx to make their way to Salis Audio for some modding. Then get home and flipped on the news to find out today is the busiest shipping day of the year!  :duh:

And of course they had to show a picture of a FedEx truck in an accident with about a million boxes scattered on the freeway!  :o  :xmas:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #759 on: 16 Dec 2014, 02:13 am »
Yup, there was a line out the post office door today. I can't believe more people don't buy shipping online. Shipping is such a quandary, the rates for insurance are absurd... if I insured everything the costs would be astronomical so I only use insurance if I really couldn't take the financial loss, otherwise I figure I'll just take the loss if it happens. At this time of year I usually buy insurance for a portion of the value of the contents just so I have some protection...

One tip... insurance is MUCH cheaper using express rather than priority, to the point you will pay more to ship via priority than express with high value packages many times!