Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

roscoeiii

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #700 on: 13 Dec 2014, 10:35 pm »
We didn't compare the 2000 vs the 1500 as monos directly. But we liked the cryo'd 1500 better than 1500s as monos. And I could see going either way on 2000 in stereo vs 2 monos. Will be making that comparison more as the 2000s break in. Mono bridged vs stereo did seem to change the character of the sound more. Jack was noticing this more than I did, so I will let him speak to that. I was paying more attention to the bass, where bridged had the advantage.

jackman

« Reply #701 on: 13 Dec 2014, 10:37 pm »
Hi Guys,
Great time at Roscoe's house. His new speakers are very large and cool looking. I have to keep it short because I just got home and have family commitments.  Roscoe pretty much summed it up for me. First of all thanks to Roscoe for the opportunity to hear his system. It's very impressive.

In my system, the Crown amp was powerful but lacked soundstage and was very 2D sounding. It was not apparent until I compared it to the NCore.  The Crown was forward and although it did a lot of things right, it lacked refinement and was a bit fatiguing.  The NCore threw a deep and wide image with gobs of detail and excellent harmonics that were lacking in the XLS. Also the NCore was happiest plugged directly into the wall outlet with no power conditioning.

Roscoe's system required us to plug all amps into a power conditioner and the positioning of the speakers mandated listening with the tweeters above our ears by quite a bit, probably well above our heads. Also, his Musical Fidelity preamp is much more laid back than my SAS. His SP Tech speakers really like a LOT of power and I preferred the Crown 2000, single amp to any of the combinations we tried.  For some reason, the bridged pair seemed to lack air and detail and was a bit dark sounding in comparison.  The crown 1500 amps did not sound as good as the 2000, but I preferred the cryo version to the non cryo by a wide margin. That was a surprise because I thought cryo treatment was snake oil.  My ears told me otherwise.

Roscoe's room is relatively narrow and does not allow for soeakers to be pulled out Into the room. As a result the soundstage is not deep. It sounds very good and we all have different preferences but this is a conversation for another day. On his system, I preferred the crown 2000 because it had excellent balance and really impressive bass. The SP Techs just seemed to lack bass when powered by the NCore

In my system, the Crown is not a viable option but if you have  power hungry or dark sounding gear, the Crown could be a great choice. Those 2000 amps are a clear step up from the 1500's. Makes me wonder how the 2500 would sound on Roscoe's system!  Lastly, no magic wooden picks were used during this evaluation. 

a.wayne

« Reply #702 on: 13 Dec 2014, 10:43 pm »
We didn't compare the 2000 vs the 1500 as monos directly. But we liked the cryo'd 1500 better than 1500s as monos. And I could see going either way on 2000 in stereo vs 2 monos. Will be making that comparison more as the 2000s break in. Mono bridged vs stereo did seem to change the character of the sound more. Jack was noticing this more than I did, so I will let him speak to that. I was paying more attention to the bass, where bridged had the advantage.

Yeah , OK, pictures of setup B****ch , or it never happened ...........  :green:

a.wayne

« Reply #703 on: 13 Dec 2014, 10:46 pm »
Hi Guys,
Great time at Roscoe's house. His new speakers are very large and cool looking. I have to keep it short because I just got home and have family commitments.  Roscoe pretty much summed it up for me. First of all thanks to Roscoe for the opportunity to hear his system. It's very impressive.

In my system, the Crown amp was powerful but lacked soundstage and was very 2D sounding. It was not apparent until I compared it to the NCore.  The Crown was forward and although it did a lot of things right, it lacked refinement and was a bit fatiguing.  The NCore threw a deep and wide image with gobs of detail and excellent harmonics that were lacking in the XLS. Also the NCore was happiest plugged directly into the wall outlet with no power conditioning.

Roscoe's system required us to plug all amps into a power conditioner and the positioning of the speakers mandated listening with the tweeters above our ears by quite a bit, probably well above our heads. Also, his Musical Fidelity preamp is much more laid back than my SAS. His SP Tech speakers really like a LOT of power and I preferred the Crown 2000, single amp to any of the combinations we tried.  For some reason, the bridged pair seemed to lack air and detail and was a bit dark sounding in comparison.  The crown 1500 amps did not sound as good as the 2000, but I preferred the cryo version to the non cryo by a wide margin. That was a surprise because I thought cryo treatment was snake oil.  My ears told me otherwise.

Roscoe's room is relatively narrow and does not allow for soeakers to be pulled out Into the room. As a result the soundstage is not deep. It sounds very good and we all have different preferences but this is a conversation for another day. On his system, I preferred the crown 2000 because it had excellent balance and really impressive bass. The SP Techs just seemed to lack bass when powered by the NCore

In my system, the Crown is not a viable option but if you have  power hungry or dark sounding gear, the Crown could be a great choice. Those 2000 amps are a clear step up from the 1500's. Makes me wonder how the 2500 would sound on Roscoe's system!  Lastly, no magic wooden picks were used during this evaluation.

OK, but what did you think of the sound overall , is it hi-end ?

jackman

« Reply #704 on: 13 Dec 2014, 11:01 pm »

OK, but what did you think of the sound overall , is it hi-end ?

I thought it sounded very good. Nothing sounded strained or bright. The Crown amps work perfectly with his speakers. They seemed to love the power. Also, we messed around with some crazy bass heavy tracks from ILLEGAL BASS CD and it compressed the air in the room nicely. The crown never broke a sweat.  Not a hifi cd but fun nonetheless.  That amp and those speakers could probably break Roscoe's lease or at least get the cops over faster than a bank robbery.

Chrisandalex1

« Reply #705 on: 13 Dec 2014, 11:08 pm »
OK, who is going to hook these up to a pair of VR4 jr's? 

jackman

« Reply #706 on: 13 Dec 2014, 11:11 pm »
OK, who is going to hook these up to a pair of VR4 jr's?

Roscoe has a pair of VR's but I'm not sure of the model.  He says they are laid back which might make them a good candidate. Amazon has a greet return policy and shipping is cheap either way. These amps are compact and lightweight.

a.wayne

« Reply #707 on: 13 Dec 2014, 11:12 pm »
I'm leaning towards trying an XTI for sub use .....

Chrisandalex1

« Reply #708 on: 13 Dec 2014, 11:17 pm »
I am thinking I want to get a 2500 just for 2 channel listening.  For the price it seems like a natural. 

I sure wish they were better looking.  How difficult do you think it would be to machine a new front plate for these?  I think it would make a huge difference. 

a.wayne

« Reply #709 on: 13 Dec 2014, 11:19 pm »
Use a nice thick one, get amp up to 10Kg....  :lol:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #710 on: 13 Dec 2014, 11:26 pm »
I am thinking I want to get a 2500 just for 2 channel listening.  For the price it seems like a natural. 

I sure wish they were better looking.  How difficult do you think it would be to machine a new front plate for these?  I think it would make a huge difference.

I thought the same thing. I tried to take the front grill off in an effort to paint it black but had a heck of a time figuring how to detach it from the board without damaging anything. If somebody figures it out please share how. It's not that ugly but painting it a different color could help ease the asthetics.

I'd like to know more how the 2000 sounded different than the 1500. Ozarktom said earlier in the thread that he couldn't hear a difference.

Chrisandalex1

« Reply #711 on: 13 Dec 2014, 11:36 pm »
Yeah, it is just that everything else in my system is black. 

I was just measuring the area I have for it, and also thinking about ease of switching speaker cables when I want to go from 5.1 to 2 channel.  Since my speaker cables each cost more than the amp, I am not wild about buying 2 sets.

Would I be good with putting this amp under of a UD7007 Bluray player?

Chrisandalex1

« Reply #712 on: 13 Dec 2014, 11:38 pm »
Damn, this would be a royal PITA.  To do this I would need 2 sets of Speaker Cable.  Then I could do the switch at the speaker much easier.

dlaloum

« Reply #713 on: 14 Dec 2014, 12:38 am »
I thought the same thing. I tried to take the front grill off in an effort to paint it black but had a heck of a time figuring how to detach it from the board without damaging anything. If somebody figures it out please share how. It's not that ugly but painting it a different color could help ease the asthetics.

I'd like to know more how the 2000 sounded different than the 1500. Ozarktom said earlier in the thread that he couldn't hear a difference.

I would suggest that the difference is 100% down to raw power.

Other reviews (other sites) have also made the same comment - other than power (current, voltage)  the 1500, 2000 and 2500 sound the same.

If your speakers need more current/voltage then get the bigger beast, if you want to play safe, get the bigger beast, if you want to get best value for money - get the one that suits your speakers needs...

roscoeiii

« Reply #714 on: 14 Dec 2014, 01:18 am »
I would suggest that the difference is 100% down to raw power.

Other reviews (other sites) have also made the same comment - other than power (current, voltage)  the 1500, 2000 and 2500 sound the same.

If your speakers need more current/voltage then get the bigger beast, if you want to play safe, get the bigger beast, if you want to get best value for money - get the one that suits your speakers needs...

Yes,  I would agree and should point out that my speakers are quite unique in how they respond to extra power. Something about the crossover (24 db/octave slope)? Never heard a speaker respond like this before.

From what Salis reported about the internals,  I'd put the differences down to the speakers' response to power, rather than the amps being voiced differently. I'd not be surprised if others did not hear this difference with other speakers.

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
« Reply #715 on: 14 Dec 2014, 01:39 am »
If a Guitar Center is close by , that is were I have purchased 6 crowns . They seem to be on sale all the time there . If not you can ask to get the sales price when not on sale . 30 day money back return . Also free shipping if ordered online from them.

I have thought of using some black Duplicolor Automotive paint for the faces myself . Speaying from a small hvlp gun . Adding a nice gloss clear too .Would need to tape off a lot and try to keep the black crown logo still visible somehow .

Can someone provide the cryo info ? How much does that cost ? Sounds like it is worth it ?

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
« Reply #716 on: 14 Dec 2014, 01:45 am »
I happened to stumble across a review on a home theater site last year where a guy was driving some Revel Salon's for two channel . He stated the Crown was the best amp he had used on the revels , even after using some real big buck amps . He described them as very neutral .Definitely can spend more on ones speakers with the savings of money . got to like that !

Folsom

« Reply #717 on: 14 Dec 2014, 01:59 am »
The suspense of what OzarkTom thinks about the modified unit is getting to me. It needs a few hours, but still....

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #718 on: 14 Dec 2014, 02:03 am »
I happened to stumble across a review on a home theater site last year where a guy was driving some Revel Salon's for two channel . He stated the Crown was the best amp he had used on the revels , even after using some real big buck amps . He described them as very neutral .Definitely can spend more on ones speakers with the savings of money . got to like that !

Nice!  DaveC113 has mentioned that before, spend most of your money on speakers and source and what's left over spend on the Crowns.  :thumb:

But of course it's trial and error and with these amps availability and return policy of Amazon and Guitar Center it's hard not to at least try.

Don't know if the cryo guy wants to be known here, I'll pm you.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #719 on: 14 Dec 2014, 02:04 am »
The suspense of what OzarkTom thinks about the modified unit is getting to me. It needs a few hours, but still....

+1  :hyper: