Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

rodge827

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #680 on: 13 Dec 2014, 03:28 pm »
I have 3 of these 193m's in three outlets in my room. My sound system is plugged into the middle outlet of the 3 along with one 193m choke.

The level of detail has increased so much that the crowns almost sound like a different but better amp. Everything just cleaned up around all the instruments and voices and sound as if coming from a blacker background. Don't ask me why, it just works and sounds better.

Is this the proper way to implement a choke?

wushuliu

« Reply #681 on: 13 Dec 2014, 03:42 pm »
Is this the proper way to implement a choke?

Yes that looks about right. It's a nice job actually, and no soldering needed. The choke has two thin wires. Attach one wire to hot end of whatever power plug solution you choose, then the other wire to the neutral. It does not matter which wire goes where. Plug into wall. Done. Try not to make the cord too long. Just a couple feet. Maybe heatshrink or electrical tape wrap the thin wires, etc. We are talking AC voltage here so use common sense and take precautions against pets, kids, etc.

HTCoz put his in an enclosure with an iec plug (so like any conditioner) which is another good idea.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #682 on: 13 Dec 2014, 03:45 pm »
Wushuliu describes the chokes perfectly. Somehow they seem to clean up any digititis or grunge that could be present in listening to your music.

I almost equate it to going from a standard definition tv to an hdtv. When all you had was a sdtv you didn't know any better and thought what you saw was great. Then you see an hdtv and realize there was a lot of crap in the way on your sdtv. But like I said, each system could be different with different results and with how many chokes you could benefit from.

rodge827-

That's the way the older threads were showing how to connect the choke. I just mimicked what they were doing and it seems to work. It's very easy to try and see if you could benefit or not. It took 3 of the 193m chokes to really increase the level of performance I'm getting now. I do have 2 of the 193L chokes as well being used. From what I read it was recommended to put the 193m's at the outlet in the wall and the 193L's at your distibution boxes like surge protectors or conditioners.

rodge827

« Reply #683 on: 13 Dec 2014, 04:12 pm »
Thanks guys for the info.  :thumb:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #684 on: 13 Dec 2014, 04:25 pm »

Not sure if you noticed, but under the choke is a set of cedar rings which I'm sure is the real reason these chokes work so well.  :D

I just noticed the quote under your avatar! I think by the time you actually get to hear the tour amp you'll be considered for sainthood for your patience.  :lol:

Folsom

« Reply #685 on: 13 Dec 2014, 05:05 pm »
Parallel? Ohhh... Heh. Have fun.

a.wayne

« Reply #686 on: 13 Dec 2014, 05:33 pm »
So you are plugging straight into your wall receptacle and thats it , improvement ....?

wushuliu

« Reply #687 on: 13 Dec 2014, 05:34 pm »

You're welcome! Thanks to Tomy for the feedback.

wushuliu

« Reply #688 on: 13 Dec 2014, 05:38 pm »
So you are plugging straight into your wall receptacle and thats it , improvement ....?

Yep. There are other things worth trying like using a parallel adapter for a specific component, attaching the ground to the choke chassis, etc. But yes that's the gist. Only takes about 15-30min to kick in.

roscoeiii

« Reply #689 on: 13 Dec 2014, 06:08 pm »
Jackman and I are sitting down with 2 1500s (cryo and normal), Wyred4Sound monoblocks, an ncore and 2 2500s.

roscoeiii

« Reply #690 on: 13 Dec 2014, 06:24 pm »
So I had Jack listen to the 1500s blind to which is which. In under 30 seconds, he said "this one is clearly better" when I hooked up the second 1500. Yup,  that was the cryo one!

guest61169

« Reply #691 on: 13 Dec 2014, 06:48 pm »
So I had Jack listen to the 1500s blind to which is which. In under 30 seconds, he said "this one is clearly better" when I hooked up the second 1500. Yup,  that was the cryo one!

I have noticed when unscientifically comparing things that are similar, like cables, amps, DACs, etc. that more often than not the second thing sounds best. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #692 on: 13 Dec 2014, 06:53 pm »
I have noticed when unscientifically comparing things that are similar, like cables, amps, DACs, etc. that more often than not the second thing sounds best.

Now on to bridged 2000s..

Well,  this one wasn't close. Not a matter of straining to hear differences.

And then we put a 2000 in. Not broken in at all. It has been plugged in for 48 hours,  but those were the  first notes that we'd played out of it. And with my power hungry speakers,  we preferred the 2000 to the cryo'd 1500.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #693 on: 13 Dec 2014, 07:55 pm »
Well,  this one wasn't close. Not a matter of straining to hear differences.

And then we put a 2000 in. Not broken in at all. It has been plugged in for 48 hours,  but those were the  first notes that we'd played out of it. And with my power hungry speakers,  we preferred the 2000 to the cryo'd 1500.

Wow, that's interesting! More wattage made that much of a difference? Hmmmm.... :D

Do you plan to get your 2000's cryoed?

roscoeiii

« Reply #694 on: 13 Dec 2014, 08:21 pm »
And on to the ncore. Now in Jack's system the ncore was clearly preferred. Not the case with my SP Tech Revelations. Here it was a matter of preference. Different presentations of the music.

Reminded me of a description Robert Greene made in his comparison of the Well Tempered Amadeus and the Townshend Rock 7. Top down vs bottom up. The ncore and the Amadeus were examples of a top down presentation. Great treble,  extension and air in the high frequencies. Not bad or deficient in the bass. But shone in the treble.

The XLS and Rock were more bottom up. With superb bass foundations that seem to ground the music. Again, not deficient or bad in the treble. But the bass shone. With real bass weight and impact. Now this might not be noticeable on speakers with limited  bass capability.

Both amps are great, with gobs of detail in my setup.

roscoeiii

« Reply #695 on: 13 Dec 2014, 08:23 pm »
Wow, that's interesting! More wattage made that much of a difference? Hmmmm.... :D

Do you plan to get your 2000's cryoed?

Yeah,  that is our guess that the wattage made the difference. But again,  I've never had speakers that have responded so much to additional power.

And yeah,  I do think I'll be making a cryo appointment...

rodge827

« Reply #696 on: 13 Dec 2014, 08:31 pm »
Not sure if you noticed, but under the choke is a set of cedar rings which I'm sure is the real reason these chokes work so well.  :D

I just noticed the quote under your avatar! I think by the time you actually get to hear the tour amp you'll be considered for sainthood for your patience.  :lol:

Cedar Rings = Best Smelling Choke in town and moth protected!  8)

Patience? I live in the house of the women and well...  :green:

roscoeiii

« Reply #697 on: 13 Dec 2014, 09:30 pm »
Jack just left  and should add his thoughts later. Good thing he brought his preamp. Turns out it is quite a bit more forward than my kW preamp and DSPeaker combo. So that is another factor affecting our preferences depending on the associated systems.

That and my speakers' love of gobs and gobs of power.

a.wayne

« Reply #698 on: 13 Dec 2014, 09:45 pm »
So the 2000 is the one preferred ... how was it against mono pr 1500 ..? also would love to hear how XLS compare to XTI AMPLFIERS ...

Chrisandalex1

« Reply #699 on: 13 Dec 2014, 10:34 pm »
This thread has me seriously intrigued.  For the money, you almost can't go wrong.  Excuse me if I am crazy, but it seems to me that a lot of you guys playing with this have also experienced some seriously high end/high dollar stuff.

I might have to buy a couple of these just to run 2 channel when my wife is out of the house. 

I also think it changes the game, allowing us to spend a lot more on speakers, cables, power conditioning and room acoustics. 

I have been struggling for the last few days with my latest purchase because I just don't think it is going to be enough power.  Now I think I will just keep that for the 5.1 and get a couple of these just for the hell of it.

Dig it.