Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

roscoeiii

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #520 on: 7 Dec 2014, 08:40 pm »
Perhaps a cotton diaper would be more appropriate. 

Diaper packing it is.  :thumb:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #521 on: 7 Dec 2014, 08:51 pm »
The enclosure for the 15" woofers (I have Acoustic Elegance and Volt woofers to try out) is still being designed and the mid-high section is being developed and measured. Things are going really well, I am very happy with the sound so far. I do intend to try an 800 Hz xo point but I expect it will end up much lower... it depends on how large the waveguide will be, a very large waveguide is technically ideal and would allow for a lower crossover point but there are tradeoffs that need to be balanced. So far the soundstage and imaging is the best I've heard from any speaker at any price, the room boundaries disappear and the stage depth is far past the rear wall and extends up in front of the speakers in some recordings, with a realism like you can reach out and touch the image. So I'm very happy but there are a lot of challenges too!  :green:
I'm building similar speakers. :) AE TD15m/SEOS18/ba750.

steve f

« Reply #522 on: 7 Dec 2014, 09:54 pm »
Since we are getting off topic while the Crown moves around, I have a favor to ask. Rajacat and DaveC are posting about new speakers. I'm a speaker guy and always want to learn what others are building. So guys, please post a link or two about what you are doing.

On topic. Something has started buzzing in my system.  I've got the Crown eliminated as a source. There goes my 1500 break in time as I try to find the problem. It might be the outlet itself isn't grounded. We've had a bunch of problems.

I had to fire a contractor for substandard work. I bet he skipped the ground wire.

Steve

jackman

« Reply #523 on: 7 Dec 2014, 10:11 pm »
Diaper packing it is.  :thumb:

Just make sure it's not a used diaper!  I hear one will make your system sound like... :roll:

roscoeiii

« Reply #524 on: 7 Dec 2014, 10:17 pm »
OK, first the cryo vs stock. Gotta say, I'm a cryo believer here. How did they stack up? Cryo was a bit more fleshed out (better able to make out harmonics and the resonant qualities of acoustic instruments) and a bit more delicate. Other main difference? Bass. Better impact from the cryo version. Imaging also seemed improved, though that's not a real strength of my set up.

This is with same cards for both amps.

So far, I've become a believer.

That said, I'm worried that for either of these amps, the highs could become fatiguing at high volumes. With these quite forward speakers. Something I'll be paying close attention to.

OzarkTom

« Reply #525 on: 7 Dec 2014, 10:31 pm »

That said, I'm worried that for either of these amps, the highs could become fatiguing at high volumes. With these quite forward speakers. Something I'll be paying close attention to.

A different power cord could easily solve that problem. What power cord are you using?

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #526 on: 7 Dec 2014, 10:41 pm »
Very nice Roscoe!

The way you described the cryo version is how I would detail what happened when adding both of the Hammond chokes in my system with the crowns.

roscoeiii

« Reply #527 on: 7 Dec 2014, 10:42 pm »
A different power cord could easily solve that problem. What power cord are you using?

It is  a big burly thing and hardly a stock cord, but I'll have to check the model. Power cords are on the to-do list...

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #528 on: 7 Dec 2014, 10:43 pm »
rajacat, sounds great.  :thumb:  One of my challenges is I'm using a cone driver and not a compression driver in my waveguide/horn and there isn't a ton of info on the subject. I'm getting great results as far as the sound but the boost in efficiency is greater than I expected. It would be very simple to build this speaker without any waveguide, but the qualities it brings to the table are worth it imo.

steve f, I have no further info, but at it's basis it is a FAST with a waveguide. Simple in concept but complicated a bit by controlling directivity of the full range driver. I hope you get the electrical figured out!

roscoe, thanks for the report! I have found that most things need a little time to settle from shipping, not a full break in but you'll probably get at least a few hours of edgy sound.

OzarkTom

« Reply #529 on: 7 Dec 2014, 10:44 pm »
Very nice Roscoe!

The way you described the cryo version is how I would detail what happened when adding both of the Hammond chokes in my system with the crowns.

When I get the Pomonas in, I will send those to Salis Audio and then off to the Cryoman it goes. :D

rodge827

« Reply #530 on: 7 Dec 2014, 10:48 pm »
Just make sure it's not a used diaper!  I hear one will make your system sound like... :roll:
Shipping hazardous material is against the law!  :nono:

OzarkTom

« Reply #531 on: 7 Dec 2014, 10:49 pm »
Dave is right, let the cryo amp burn in 24 hours straight before you really judge it. I have found this is the case with all components after it has been transported or shipped.

roscoeiii

« Reply #532 on: 7 Dec 2014, 11:46 pm »
Yes, even now the treble is sounding less harsh and fatiguing. Will revisit some earlier tracks shortly. Then time to try these bridged into mono!

OzarkTom

« Reply #533 on: 7 Dec 2014, 11:56 pm »
Yes, even now the treble is sounding less harsh and fatiguing. Will revisit some earlier tracks shortly. Then time to try these bridged into mono!

Do you have the amps marked? Don't send the crro'd one off to Chris.

roscoeiii

« Reply #534 on: 8 Dec 2014, 12:07 am »

My plan was to flip a coin. But if you'd rather, I will scratch “cryo" into yours with my car keys

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #535 on: 8 Dec 2014, 12:09 am »
My plan was to flip a coin. But if you'd rather, I will scratch “cryo" into yours with my car keys

I say flip a coin!  :D

rodge827

« Reply #536 on: 8 Dec 2014, 12:11 am »

:wtf:

OzarkTom

« Reply #537 on: 8 Dec 2014, 12:11 am »

Just keep that stock unit wrapped in it's diaper. :thumb:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #538 on: 8 Dec 2014, 12:14 am »
Just keep that stock unit wrapped in it's diaper. :thumb:

Doh!  :D

roscoeiii

« Reply #539 on: 8 Dec 2014, 12:29 am »
Returned to music I'd listened to earlier, and treble is much less of an issue. Now time to change the power cable...