Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

ZAKski288

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #480 on: 4 Dec 2014, 09:58 pm »
Unfortunately those binding posts are probably no better than the stock, maybe even worse. A lot of those direct from China binding posts are poor quality. The 'pure copper' is highly questionable especially given the price.
Yes, they are not copper, maybe plated brass, But the original binding post really are terrible.  ZAK

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #481 on: 4 Dec 2014, 10:33 pm »
Yes, they are not copper, maybe plated brass, But the original binding post really are terrible.  ZAK

At least the ones you've installed allow you to use spades, correct? Where as the original posts do not.

If anything, you get more functionality and they look better!  :thumb:

Folsom

« Reply #482 on: 4 Dec 2014, 11:03 pm »
Ya, the stock ones only allow bare wire of 14ga, MAYBE 12ga.

ZAKski288

« Reply #483 on: 5 Dec 2014, 12:22 am »
Yes, you can use spades,bananas, and what every size (AWG) you can stuff  in 4mm hole. You might be able to find some better post but they are definitely better than stock ones.  ZAK

OzarkTom

« Reply #484 on: 5 Dec 2014, 01:27 am »
The cryo amp was mailed to Roscoe today. He is 25 miles from the cryoman, and the post office said it will be delivered in 2-3 days.

The cryoman used 7 pounds of lead shot on top of the amp. He said that sounded the best with the gel pads underneath. He was going to try more weight, but ran out of time.

jackman

« Reply #485 on: 5 Dec 2014, 02:42 am »
I was trying to say that 3D depth was fine. Not a problem at all.

Compared to what? Don't get me wrong, I thought The Crown sounded really good, it was very quiet and powerful, but it was very flat and 2D compared to the NCore.  I wish I would've had another amp to compare it to because the price disparity makes a comparison unfair.  The Crown does a lot of things right and at a bargain price. Soundstage and overall refinement are not strengths of the XLS.

rodge827

« Reply #486 on: 5 Dec 2014, 03:20 am »
The Crown does a lot of things right and at a bargain price. Soundstage and overall refinement are not strengths of the XLS.

So sayeth Jack!   :wink:

OzarkTom

« Reply #487 on: 5 Dec 2014, 03:34 am »
Compared to what? Don't get me wrong, I thought The Crown sounded really good, it was very quiet and powerful, but it was very flat and 2D compared to the NCore.  I wish I would've had another amp to compare it to because the price disparity makes a comparison unfair.  The Crown does a lot of things right and at a bargain price. Soundstage and overall refinement are not strengths of the XLS.

No flatness at my place. Come down with Roscoe and I will show you. And I have a huge soundstage width, bigger than the Job amp and that is one of the strengths that the Job amp has. My Zellatons totally disappear.

roscoeiii

« Reply #488 on: 5 Dec 2014, 03:51 am »
And again, could be a synergy thing. I don't doubt that some folks are getting 3d effects and others are not. Both jack and I remarked on the greater depth with his ncore.

But even prior to XLS, I wasn't getting a lot of depth in my room. A known room problem I must live with.

OzarkTom

« Reply #489 on: 5 Dec 2014, 03:58 am »
I just got off the phone with my buddy Rex, and he had some extra binding posts that he has used on his Pioneer speakers. Like Zak, he did not have to solder or cut the holes any larger, just file one of the posts down. But his posts are brass and he wants to buy some of the copper ones. if you use these like Zak or Rex, for any warranty repairs you can insert the stock ones back in easily. Rex says Cardas posts possibly might work, but you will have to drill the holes larger and probably make a special washer.

ZAKski288

« Reply #490 on: 5 Dec 2014, 04:57 am »
 :o
« Last Edit: 8 Dec 2014, 07:25 pm by ZAKski288 »

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #491 on: 5 Dec 2014, 05:25 am »
What about these Pomona binding posts? They're gold plated copper. US manufactured. http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?wt.z_cid=ref_hearst_0211_buynow&site=us&mpart=3770-0&v=501

steve f

« Reply #492 on: 5 Dec 2014, 06:35 am »
Jackman, I made no direct comparisons. I really didn't feel the need to make any. For a new amp it was very good. Actually I was surprised that some experienced a 2d image.

I'll try a different preamp, and substitute a class A OTL tube amp and two ss amps in the system.  I'll report back after the weekend.

Rajacat, I've used Pomona banana plugs and thought they were a quality product. I'll try their binding posts myself.

Steve

OzarkTom

« Reply #493 on: 5 Dec 2014, 10:26 am »
Zak, I went ahead and purchased those on Ebay that you posted for $14.59 and free shipping. The description says those are copper with gold plating. I like the idea of getting 8 pieces, I can do two of my Crown amps. Rex said even I can do this. :thumb:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #494 on: 6 Dec 2014, 01:12 am »
Luckily the Chinese posts aren't pricey, the chances they are actually pure copper seem slim to none.

I had some Pomona posts in my SET amp that I've been wanting to upgrade so I put them in the Crown, it definitely seems to help sound quality and they fit with no modifications. Just make sure to get the gold plated tellurium copper Pomona posts instead of the cheaper brass ones.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #495 on: 6 Dec 2014, 01:52 am »
I was trying to say that 3D depth was fine. Not a problem at all.

FWIW
Don't get me wrong, but steve f has a lot of experience with a wide variety of quality kit.  :thumb:

ZAKski288

« Reply #496 on: 6 Dec 2014, 02:10 am »
Luckily the Chinese posts aren't pricey, the chances they are actually pure copper seem slim to none.

I had some Pomona posts in my SET amp that I've been wanting to upgrade so I put them in the Crown, it definitely seems to help sound quality and they fit with no modifications. Just make sure to get the gold plated tellurium copper Pomona posts instead of the cheaper brass ones.
They are not copper, after trimming 3mm off them, I think they are plated brass most likely.  ZAK

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #497 on: 6 Dec 2014, 02:12 am »
Thanks rajacat and DaveC113 for the Pomona suggestion, just ordered a set for my crowns.

On a side note, anybody try the Hammond 193 filter choke tweak? Just got a couple of 193L's and I must say they do make a noticable difference, not huge but can tell the difference when it's out of the loop. Now waiting for the 193M to show up and see what it adds to the equation.

I saw the thread regarding the filter choke earlier in the week and figured what the heck. Seems like it's been around for a while but never heard of if till now.

The crowns do sound better with it, again not by a lot but definitely better. I'll see what the 193M does and report back.

OzarkTom

« Reply #498 on: 6 Dec 2014, 04:26 am »
Thanks rajacat and DaveC113 for the Pomona suggestion, just ordered a set for my crowns.

Where did you get your pomonas? The best deal I found is this one for 5 posts and$34.50.

http://www.datacomtools.com/store/3770.html

Cryoman said to get a set of binding posts and h will cryo them so I can put them in   the cryo amp.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #499 on: 6 Dec 2014, 04:33 am »
Where did you get your pomonas? The best deal I found is this one for 5 posts and$34.50.

http://www.datacomtools.com/store/3770.html

Cryoman said to get a set of binding posts and h will cryo them so I can put them in   the cryo amp.

That's a good deal! I just got them off amazon for $49.95. I'm addicted to two day shipping.  :D

I think my patience is worse than a little kid at Christmas sometimes. Anxiously awaiting to hear roscoeiii's impression of the cryo amp so I can send mine in too!