Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

roscoeiii

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #460 on: 4 Dec 2014, 01:08 am »
Interested in how the mono amps sound with your sptech's, also any fan noise.

Not a lick of fan noise that I have heard so far.

OzarkTom

« Reply #461 on: 4 Dec 2014, 01:09 am »
Also try running the stock amp on the bass, and the cryo'd on the top end using the high-pass crossover on the cryo'd amp.

dlaloum

« Reply #462 on: 4 Dec 2014, 01:16 am »
Interested in how the mono amps sound with your sptech's, also any fan noise.

Never heard the fans, not in extreme home theatre mode, or in quiet baroque violin mode.... if they have ever turned on, they were inaudible. (the amps sit in a modded Ikea cabinet about 6' from my listening position)

roscoeiii

« Reply #463 on: 4 Dec 2014, 01:26 am »
Also try running the stock amp on the bass, and the cryo'd on the top end using the high-pass crossover on the cryo'd amp.

Oh yeah,  will do.

ZAKski288

« Reply #464 on: 4 Dec 2014, 01:35 am »
Just upgraded those  $0.50 binding post that came with amp. ZAK

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #465 on: 4 Dec 2014, 01:40 am »
Just upgraded those  $0.50 binding post that came with amp. ZAK

Did you find posts that actually fit? The original seem pretty small, did you drill out the hole to fit a bigger and more standard size?

Looks nice btw!

ZAKski288

« Reply #466 on: 4 Dec 2014, 02:09 am »
Tomy2Tone,  I did not drill them out, I used 4mm diameter to connect on the inside. The part sticking out is  8mm diameter with a 4mm hole for bare wire or 4mm banana female.  The full 8mm post can be done but you need to add a spacer because of the step on the inside so you can get the nut on the post. ZAK

« Last Edit: 4 Dec 2014, 05:21 am by ZAKski288 »

rodge827

« Reply #467 on: 4 Dec 2014, 02:14 am »
Not a lick of fan noise that I have heard so far.

Cool :thumb:

Heck I have yet to listen to the XLS!  :nono:

Is this a tour or a keep the amp in Chicago and only hear from two guys about how it sounds?  :lol:

Patiently waiting... :sleep:

Bemopti123

« Reply #468 on: 4 Dec 2014, 02:23 am »
Seeing all that is being done to the amp as it goes along, makes me wonder what the listeners are actually hearing.  It would be interesting to repeat the tour and end it in a member's place comparing, 1, the same amp unmodded but electrically broken in VS the FrankenAmp broken in.  It would give a clear idea of what people are hearing. Unlike lives, this amp and its parallel twin can be auditioned. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #469 on: 4 Dec 2014, 02:28 am »
Cool :thumb:

Heck I have yet to listen to the XLS!  :nono:

Is this a tour or a keep the amp in Chicago and only hear from two guys about how it sounds?  :lol:

Patiently waiting... :sleep:

Apologies. Was out of town for the holiday. And with cryo amp coming,  I'll directly compare the two then send each where they need to go. If we're lucky I may get an ncore loan to compare that in my system too.

Folsom

« Reply #470 on: 4 Dec 2014, 02:36 am »
Zak, which binding posts are those?

ZAKski288

« Reply #471 on: 4 Dec 2014, 02:49 am »
Salis Audio, I got them on ebay. Hopefully you can open link. You may be able to get the short ones. I trimmed 3mm off them.  ZAK

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131101922276?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
« Last Edit: 5 Dec 2014, 06:37 pm by ZAKski288 »

steve f

« Reply #472 on: 4 Dec 2014, 05:51 am »
I finally got a chance to plug in my xls 1500. The only pair of speakers in the house at the moment are Ed Schilling's Horns. (I moved about 1800 miles recently. Almost everything audio is still in boxes.) I'm just using a pair of cheap interconnects, standard rope wound 12 gauge wire, and a choice of a Horn Shoppe Truth preamp or a Morrison ELAD. The only other amp that's out and playable is a Transcendent SE-OTL at a mighty watt and a half. The movers broke the output posts on another. 

So I really can't do a comparison. I'm going to keep unpacking, and keep listening as the Crown breaks in.
I'm originally from Chicago. I am very curious as to what the Windy City guys have to say. Out of the box, mine ain't bad at all. Different house, new amp, this should be fun.

Steve

roscoeiii

« Reply #473 on: 4 Dec 2014, 03:15 pm »
Listened some more last night. And again with the SP Tech, I am finding the treble detail very impressive. Jury is still out on the bass since I haven't got speaker placement dialed in and there are some serious suckouts in the room at present.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #474 on: 4 Dec 2014, 03:29 pm »
Listened some more last night. And again with the SP Tech, I am finding the treble detail very impressive. Jury is still out on the bass since I haven't got speaker placement dialed in and there are some serious suckouts in the room at present.

Nice. Still have the gain at 3 o'clock?

Between 3 and 4 o'clock sounds best in my system. I added some more weight on top of each amp and it makes for a nice sound. I think it tames it just a bit.

If you have anything to put on top you should give it a try. 5 to 6 pounds seems right.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #475 on: 4 Dec 2014, 03:37 pm »
Personally I would never put a weight on any piece of electronics...it creates a blocked path to ground, where the vibrations from inside the unit, then migrate to chassis can now no longer dissipate to the next sink (rack, furniture, etc).   It changes the sound all right, but not in your best interest IMHO.   I would go the other route; that is put the thing on3 or 4 audiopoints or whatever, creating a fast easy path to ground.  My $.02.  I am not there to listen, so this is purely conjecture.

steve f

« Reply #476 on: 4 Dec 2014, 05:15 pm »
Just a quick comment. Although still breaking in, my 1500 shows no signs of two dimensional depth. I've got good detail and the sound stage is open. That fan really is silent. So far I am impressed.

wushuliu

« Reply #477 on: 4 Dec 2014, 06:12 pm »
Salis Audio, I got them on ebay. Hopefully you can open link. You may be able to get the short ones. I trimmed 3mm off them.  ZAK

Unfortunately those binding posts are probably no better than the stock, maybe even worse. A lot of those direct from China binding posts are poor quality. The 'pure copper' is highly questionable especially given the price.

roscoeiii

« Reply #478 on: 4 Dec 2014, 06:17 pm »
Just a quick comment. Although still breaking in, my 1500 shows no signs of two dimensional depth. I've got good detail and the sound stage is open. That fan really is silent. So far I am impressed.

3D depth was an issue at Jack's too. In my room speaker placement restrictions make depth difficult to achieve regardless of amp. And not a huge sonic priority for me.

steve f

« Reply #479 on: 4 Dec 2014, 08:54 pm »
I was trying to say that 3D depth was fine. Not a problem at all.