rodge827

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #401 on: 30 Nov 2014, 04:05 am »
Geddes?

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #402 on: 30 Nov 2014, 06:42 am »
Geddes?
Don't usually see Geddes and transmission line in the same sentence.

orientalexpress

« Reply #403 on: 30 Nov 2014, 12:54 pm »
SP Tech speaker?

roscoeiii

« Reply #404 on: 30 Nov 2014, 01:00 pm »

rodge827

« Reply #405 on: 30 Nov 2014, 01:08 pm »
Don't usually see Geddes and transmission line in the same sentence.

Know U don't...I got caught up on "wave guide"  :roll:

Enjoy the SP Tech's...which model?

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #406 on: 30 Nov 2014, 02:33 pm »
Enjoy the SP Tech's...which model?

:thumb:

a.wayne

jackman

« Reply #408 on: 30 Nov 2014, 04:05 pm »
Nope but good guess. Duke is a fan of these speakers.

another hint: transmission line bass

BOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

roscoeiii

« Reply #409 on: 30 Nov 2014, 04:26 pm »
:thumb:

Yes,  I found me some Revelations. Weight made shipping prohibitively expensive so swinging by to grab them on my way back from KC. Added about 5 hrs to the trip.

Hope they fit in my VW!

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #410 on: 30 Nov 2014, 04:53 pm »
Yes,  I found me some Revelations. Weight made shipping prohibitively expensive so swinging by to grab them on my way back from KC. Added about 5 hrs to the trip.

Hope they fit in my VW!

Nice!

Looks like you got a great deal! Makes for a nice end cap to a holiday weekend. Congrats!

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #411 on: 30 Nov 2014, 06:39 pm »
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue22/sptech.htm

I see that was from before Bob increased the price. Those were the speakers I should have got - and I'll bet a Crown XLS will make them sound effortless.
I knew my Timepieces needed more power than the Nuforce ref 9s I was trying to drive them with, but I could not afford enough quality watts at the time.
I could hear something straining if I tried to monitor past around 75 - 80 dB but was not sure if it was the speaker at the low end of the tweeter's passband or the amplifier (now I think it was the amp).
I was was tempted to buy a Crown Macro Reference, but was afraid the sound would be coarse. I had the same preconceived notions about "pro" amps as many watching this.

As an aside, I read that the Crown Macro Reference was used in the development of the fabled Yamaha NS-1000, which is another speaker that needs an extraordinary amplifier to do its stuff properly.

rodge827

« Reply #412 on: 30 Nov 2014, 06:46 pm »

Hope they fit in my VW!

Christmas came early for Roscoe!  8) :xmas:

OzarkTom

« Reply #413 on: 30 Nov 2014, 09:27 pm »
So what did the cryoman and his friend think of the cryo'd Crown?

We had a chance to listen to your Crown amp. It took a little while until we found the way that it sounded the best. After getting it to sound it's best, I have to say that it is a world beater for $400.00. I have heard a lot of $1500.00 amps that wish they were this good. It is not quite to the level of reference but will give a lot of amps out there a run for their money.
    The way that I got it to sound it's best was to take 2 pieces of Moongel pads and fold them over to make a thicker pad. Do the same to 2 others and put them underneath the unit. One in front and 2 in back. Then we put 7 1/2 lbs of lead shot on top of the amp. We found that power cords made a pretty big difference. Of all of the cords that we had laying around, this one red one that I make that looks like my speaker cables sounded the best. A lot of others were too soft and syrupy. That was the best way that we found.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #414 on: 30 Nov 2014, 10:24 pm »
So what did the cryoman and his friend think of the cryo'd Crown?

We had a chance to listen to your Crown amp. It took a little while until we found the way that it sounded the best. After getting it to sound it's best, I have to say that it is a world beater for $400.00. I have heard a lot of $1500.00 amps that wish they were this good. It is not quite to the level of reference but will give a lot of amps out there a run for their money.
    The way that I got it to sound it's best was to take 2 pieces of Moongel pads and fold them over to make a thicker pad. Do the same to 2 others and put them underneath the unit. One in front and 2 in back. Then we put 7 1/2 lbs of lead shot on top of the amp. We found that power cords made a pretty big difference. Of all of the cords that we had laying around, this one red one that I make that looks like my speaker cables sounded the best. A lot of others were too soft and syrupy. That was the best way that we found.

Very nice Tom!

Sounds like you should be getting the cryo crown this week then?

I've gone back and forth with what I've put under and on top and have settled on Herbies sonic hardballs underneath and about 4lbs of weight on top. Sounds very neutral with still a lot of dynamics.

OzarkTom

« Reply #415 on: 30 Nov 2014, 10:31 pm »
Nope,  swinging  thru Arkansas instead  to pick up the new speakers

:o

You drove by my place and did not stop?

OzarkTom

« Reply #416 on: 30 Nov 2014, 11:00 pm »
Very nice Tom!

Sounds like you should be getting the cryo crown this week then?

I've gone back and forth with what I've put under and on top and have settled on Herbies sonic hardballs underneath and about 4lbs of weight on top. Sounds very neutral with still a lot of dynamics.

Since Jack and Roscoe is in Chicago, I will let them hear it first before it is sent back to me.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #417 on: 30 Nov 2014, 11:10 pm »
Since Jack and Roscoe is in Chicago, I will let them hear it first before it is sent back to me.

That's right, I forgot. Should be fun to see what the guys say.

roscoeiii

« Reply #418 on: 1 Dec 2014, 09:06 am »
:o

You drove by my place and did not stop?

Next  time, next time.

As it turns out I'm getting home at 3 am. Work is not going to be fun tomorrow...

a.wayne

« Reply #419 on: 1 Dec 2014, 07:20 pm »
Sounds like more than the amp was cryoed,  folded moongel pads, power cords, err did Cryo work  .....   :rotflmao: