Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

OzarkTom

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #220 on: 20 Nov 2014, 03:01 am »
Would you mind giving a brief overview of the cryo process in regards to something like a piece of audio equipment. How long does the process take and in what type of medium is it performed?

Once you get the 1500 back will it take another 100-200hrs to break in again? Just curious how this is all done.

I am the last person to ask about the cryo process on how it is done. I was one of the biggest skeptics of them all on freezing audio equipment. I often laughed about it. I sent my Itube in a few months ago after reading a rave review on another forum. The review was right, much, much better. That cryo cost me $20 plus the shipping there and back. I also bought a cryo'd power cord for the Itube plus a Astron power supply for $115, overall it improved the Itube over 200%. It was clearly a night and day improvement.

The cryoman said the amp was going in the machine today. Then he lets it burn in for 48 hours after freezing and ships it back to me. I will let the amp burn in another 100 hours to make sure the amp sounds it's best. If there is only a 5-10% improvement, I won't bother to ship the other amp back. If it is clearly 20% better or more, my other amp will be going to him.

I am still somewhat a skeptic, or I would ship my Sony music player and my Job amp in. The Crown I sent cost me $200, so to add another $65 or so is not going to cost me much more than the price of a tube these days.

ZAKski288

« Reply #221 on: 20 Nov 2014, 03:08 am »
If I was a Crown employee and got their discount, I would probably buy a 2500. It has more weight, more power, and some here might like the extra two inches in depth.
[/quote ]

OzarkTom , You are exactly right , Back in the late 80's I brought a complete system from someone who worked at Crown. At that time they could buy a new system every two years at a huge discount and most bought and then sold them at a profit.   ZAK

dlaloum

« Reply #222 on: 20 Nov 2014, 03:17 am »
A while back I contacted Anthony Gallo about whether to run two amps biamped or configure them as bridged monoblocks into the Gallo Ref's.

Interestingly he said that the CDT tweeter on the speakers tend not to like bridged amp configurations. No further details were provided (although I do know that the CDT tweeter provides a capacitive load...)

I would probably have gone for the XLS1500, if it wasn't for the fact that Gallo use a 500W Spectron for show demo's - so I figured I might as well go for the one in the range that is as close as possible to that power level!

150W/channel of several different class AB amps didn't cut the mustard - sometimes there is no substitute for sheer grunt.

The sound is definitely clearer, smoother, and more detailed, without getting that nasty etched/bright tone that some amps have.
The combo is very close to a good electrostatic setup (from memory), whereas with 150Wx4 of class AB feeding into it, it was definitely a sloid notch down from ESL levels of performance.

With most speakers I suspect an XLS1500 will do brilliantly, but a speaker with an impedance that drops really low or a capacitive/reactive setup may need a bit more, and may not like the bridged setup....

guest61169

« Reply #223 on: 20 Nov 2014, 06:09 am »
On a separate note, does anyone have a suggestion for possible dac/pre/hp or pre with headphone output they think would be a great match with the Crown XLS in a second system?...

I use a Benchmark DAC-1 and you might be able to find one used for $500.   

dlaloum

« Reply #224 on: 20 Nov 2014, 07:33 am »
I picked up a Mytek Stereo96 DAC for around $300 - has headphone output (very good quality one!) as well as pro level balanced (as well as line level) outs.
No USB, but the sound is quite exceptional - it is another bit of pro gear which works well at home, and should be a perfect match with the XLS

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #225 on: 20 Nov 2014, 07:45 am »
Then there is the ifi Micro iDSD DAC with the killer headphone amp, designed by Thorsten Loesch:
http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-idsd/

It's $499 full list.

OzarkTom

« Reply #226 on: 20 Nov 2014, 08:05 am »
The there is the ifi Micro iDSD DAC with the killer headphone amp, designed by Thorsten Loesch:

It's $499 full list.

My buddy Rex is using this one with his Crown 1500 and is very pleased with the combo. It adds the 3D circuit to the system also. Thorsten should market his 3D circuit to a lot of  other audio vendors.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #227 on: 20 Nov 2014, 08:33 am »
One of the little features of the ifi Micro DAC that appeals to me is the polarity switch on the side.

rodge827

« Reply #228 on: 20 Nov 2014, 11:54 am »
One of the little features of the ifi Micro DAC that appeals to me is the polarity switch on the side.

I like that it has an internal battery for power and has enough juice to power difficult to drive head phones lie the HE-6.

jk@home

« Reply #229 on: 20 Nov 2014, 01:33 pm »
My buddy Rex is using this one with his Crown 1500 and is very pleased with the combo. It adds the 3D circuit to the system also. Thorsten should market his 3D circuit to a lot of  other audio vendors.

Is this the same friend who was using a JOB on KEF LS50s? If so, he's using the Crown on the KEF?

One of the questions I have had is if the Crowns ran in mono have the same limitations as a class A/B amp. The KEFs dip down to 3 ohms at certain frequencies, and I am concerned if the Crowns ran in mono will have a problem with this load. Not that a single amp would have any problem driving this speaker, I already know that will work.

OzarkTom

« Reply #230 on: 20 Nov 2014, 01:43 pm »
Is this the same friend who was using a JOB on KEF LS50s? If so, he's using the Crown on the KEF?

Yes it is. He likes the Crown so well, he is selling his Job. One amp is all you need for power on the KEF's, but the Crowns are rated down to a 2ohm load even in monos.

jk@home

« Reply #231 on: 20 Nov 2014, 03:08 pm »
Thanks. I'm going to give them another try, once I get a few other items payed off.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #232 on: 20 Nov 2014, 03:40 pm »

Wouldn't buy a DAC without one. +1

charles

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #233 on: 20 Nov 2014, 04:51 pm »
Is the Crown an Integrated amp or do you need a preamp? 

Does any one know how it compares to their other amps like the XT-i's?

roscoeiii

« Reply #234 on: 20 Nov 2014, 06:56 pm »
You can't switch inputs and although it has gain controls, I would use something as a preamp with it. Or a DAC, etc with a volume control.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #235 on: 20 Nov 2014, 08:21 pm »
You can't switch inputs and although it has gain controls, I would use something as a preamp with it. Or a DAC, etc with a volume control.

This would probably work well-

http://schiit.com/products/sys-passive-preamp

A Grant Fidelity DAC-11 would probably be a good match as well.

WireNut

« Reply #236 on: 20 Nov 2014, 09:42 pm »
There is a Crown XLS1500 for sale on Agon right now for $255.00. Seems like a good price.

a.wayne

« Reply #237 on: 20 Nov 2014, 10:38 pm »
Any updates .......? 

wushuliu

« Reply #238 on: 20 Nov 2014, 10:41 pm »
Is Jackman okay?

roscoeiii

« Reply #239 on: 20 Nov 2014, 10:48 pm »

This would probably work well-

http://schiit.com/products/sys-passive-preamp

A Grant Fidelity DAC-11 would probably be a good match as well.

The iTube that OzarkTom uses may also be a great bet, since he is raving about it. Though you'd need an input selector if you need multiple inputs.

No personal experience with it myself, but a lot going for it. And a lot of places that you could get one to audition. Or who offer a solid return policy.