mr_bill

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #160 on: 18 Nov 2014, 02:59 pm »
 :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

OzarkTom

« Reply #161 on: 18 Nov 2014, 03:09 pm »
:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Jack is probably out  buying up all the used Crowns before Roscoe gets to hear it.

guest61169

« Reply #162 on: 18 Nov 2014, 03:14 pm »
After you have set the options how you like, the amp can be made to look a bit better by this "black tape" mod:

You can see a bit of one Sims Navcom Silencer under the front left of the amp in the pic.  Sims now makes archery products and it's possible some could be used as amplifier feet.  If you search EBay for Navcom or Limbsaver Broadband you will see some stuff like that.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #163 on: 18 Nov 2014, 09:00 pm »
After you have set the options how you like, the amp can be made to look a bit better by this "black tape" mod:

You can see a bit of one Sims Navcom Silencer under the front left of the amp in the pic.  Sims now makes archery products and it's possible some could be used as amplifier feet.  If you search EBay for Navcom or Limbsaver Broadband you will see some stuff like that.

Nice! The menu screen is pretty bright.

Should be interesting to see what Salis Audio has up his sleeve for mods. Wonder if he thought of the "black tape" idea?  :)

Folsom

« Reply #164 on: 18 Nov 2014, 09:27 pm »
I'm actually more curious if I'll like it over my prototype 7297 board :lol:

I can tell you this... First it's clear that there might be a couple key re-cap areas in the front end. The recent OSCON flavors from Panasonic and Nichicon are like they're canning bits of God and attaching leads. I really don't like the diode bridge in it. But we'll see. If there's an easy way to isolate the RCA's from the safety ground that might be a nice improvement. It depends on a few things.

It appears to run on very high voltages, so there's serious limits towards the amp section and changes. Also it's a SMPS with PFC to DC to DC conversion. I prefer linear, but that's not a "mod", that's like a revamp requiring so much effort I should just work for Crown to make an Audiophile version. Well, perhaps. The PFC section is straight rectified 120v. Unfortunately I'd say that it's not for sound, and more just for compliance. I'm sure outboard PFC would benefit the amp, baring a radically different PSU.

The upside is that it already sounds so good!

wisnon

« Reply #165 on: 18 Nov 2014, 09:30 pm »
So Tony, will you be making an audiophile modded version for sale?

Folsom

« Reply #166 on: 18 Nov 2014, 09:47 pm »
So Tony, will you be making an audiophile modded version for sale?

I'm not Tony, if you're asking me.

I figured once I'm done (I have to burn the unit in too, since it's "fresh") Tom will let you all know what he thinks or let someone hear it. Then I'll switch to it being an industry offering, if the desire for what the cost vs. performance happens to be.

a.wayne

« Reply #167 on: 18 Nov 2014, 09:54 pm »
I'm actually more curious if I'll like it over my prototype 7297 board :lol:

I can tell you this... First it's clear that there might be a couple key re-cap areas in the front end. The recent OSCON flavors from Panasonic and Nichicon are like they're canning bits of God and attaching leads. I really don't like the diode bridge in it. But we'll see. If there's an easy way to isolate the RCA's from the safety ground that might be a nice improvement. It depends on a few things.

It appears to run on very high voltages, so there's serious limits towards the amp section and changes. Also it's a SMPS with PFC to DC to DC conversion. I prefer linear, but that's not a "mod", that's like a revamp requiring so much effort I should just work for Crown to make an Audiophile version. Well, perhaps. The PFC section is straight rectified 120v. Unfortunately I'd say that it's not for sound, and more just for compliance. I'm sure outboard PFC would benefit the amp, baring a radically different PSU.

The upside is that it already sounds so good!

Best to see if any tangible improvements come from such mods,  It may  just be an  enigma XLS 2500  ..... :)

Folsom

« Reply #168 on: 18 Nov 2014, 09:56 pm »
There's one mod that should be blatantly better. Luckily it's pretty cheap. However it could even already be done and I don't know... Oohhh mystery!

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #169 on: 18 Nov 2014, 09:58 pm »
There's one mod that should be blatantly better. Luckily it's pretty cheap. However it could even already be done and I don't know... Oohhh mystery!

Man...that almost sounds like a riddle!

mcgsxr

« Reply #170 on: 18 Nov 2014, 10:00 pm »
Sounds like a fun amp, if there were any affordable ones around me I would try one out for sure.

Locally (here close to Toronto), they are running over $500 new, and there are no used ones I can find.

I will continue to follow with interest!

OzarkTom

« Reply #171 on: 18 Nov 2014, 10:15 pm »
The one I shipped to Salis Audio was used once at a concert, so it probably has not been broken in. I have had a 2500 in my system for the last several days, and it sounds like the 1500 and 2000 models. I read on another forum, these are very hard to destruct, only 1 failure out of 700 amps.

Occam

« Reply #172 on: 18 Nov 2014, 10:51 pm »
Also it's a SMPS with PFC to DC to DC conversion....

You've confirmed that the switching supply on the ZLS is using active power factor correction?
Could you give me a reference please?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Folsom

« Reply #173 on: 18 Nov 2014, 11:49 pm »
You've confirmed that the switching supply on the ZLS is using active power factor correction?
Could you give me a reference please?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Paul, I just got it so I'm looking around more. I want to look under heatsink clips. The cheap ddiode bridge isn't the only diode set as I can see more Dxxx designations. I haven't got the board out just yet. I'll get some pictures if I can for you.

Listening impression, detail is so good, bass is deep. Unfortunately it'll put me to sleep in this current rendition. It needs some spice.

a.wayne

« Reply #174 on: 18 Nov 2014, 11:56 pm »
So no life .........

Folsom

« Reply #175 on: 19 Nov 2014, 12:19 am »
So no life .........

It's a different kind of life. Plus I haven't done anything yet :)

The way it's revealing isn't something you hear in the average audio store.

JoshK

« Reply #176 on: 19 Nov 2014, 12:21 am »
Sounds like a fun amp, if there were any affordable ones around me I would try one out for sure.

Locally (here close to Toronto), they are running over $500 new, and there are no used ones I can find.

I will continue to follow with interest!

I noticed that as well.   For that price I'll opt for the Ncore 400s.  Not the same price, but given my experience with Hypex, should be quite good.   If I got the Crown's for $300ish I might be tempted.

OzarkTom

« Reply #177 on: 19 Nov 2014, 12:22 am »
So no life .........

The amp isn't broken in yet. It gets better after 100 hours.

OzarkTom

« Reply #178 on: 19 Nov 2014, 12:25 am »
I noticed that as well.   For that price I'll opt for the Ncore 400s.  Not the same price, but given my experience with Hypex, should be quite good.   If I got the Crown's for $300ish I might be tempted.

Amazon has the new 1500 for $325, three years warranty.

JoshK

« Reply #179 on: 19 Nov 2014, 12:29 am »
Not here in Canada they don't (amazon.ca)...which was the gist.