Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

jackman

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #140 on: 16 Nov 2014, 03:36 pm »
In my experience, the Crown has much higher gain than the NCore. My SAS preamp was modded by the designer, Steve, to reduce gain to 7dB.  I listen to the NCore  with volume controls set at around 12:00 and the equivalent spl level of the crown is is between 9 and 10:00.  This is by ear and I'll get the meter out today and do it right.

I'm not going to post any specifics or details of direct comparisons with other amps until I have more time. For the selling price, the Crown is a true bargain and it performs better than previous generation class d pro amps.  I will say that much. Also, to my ears, the wood rings do nothing except perhaps give you funny looks, comments and possibly ridicule from your non audiofool friends and family members.

guest61169

« Reply #141 on: 16 Nov 2014, 04:49 pm »
     Tell me something about the gain on Crown. When I compared the two amps I had the Ncore on the left speaker and the Crown on the right speaker and I adjusted the gain to match the volume of the Ncore . The gain setting was one click away from full gain, maybe that is why I had some hum noise. In my second system my gain is at 12 o'clock, when I pause the music and turn the gain all the way, the noise gets louder.  ZAK

My Benchmark DAC-1 has jumpers inside which I can control attenuation when using the balanced outputs.  I have mine set for 30dB of attenuation, which is factory default.  On the Crown, the controls are at the moment set to 11:00.   Set up like this, I can increase the useful range of the Benchmark's volume control so it doesn't get too loud too quick.   The Benchmark volume control, like many analog volume controls, also tracks better around 12:00 or slightly higher.   If I wanted to annoy the neighbours, I could turn up the controls on the Crown a little or change the Benchmark jumpers to 20dB, 10dB or 0dB (no padding).   Each jumper change also affects the output impedance, with the lowest at either 30dB or 0dB.   Not a big deal if cables are short.   On the Crown level controls, don't go too high or you might get a bit of hiss (depending on your speakers).  Hum, on the other hand is likely a ground loop in the system somewhere.

a.wayne

« Reply #142 on: 16 Nov 2014, 05:18 pm »
     Tell me something about the gain on Crown. When I compared the two amps I had the Ncore on the left speaker and the Crown on the right speaker and I adjusted the gain to match the volume of the Ncore . The gain setting was one click away from full gain, maybe that is why I had some hum noise. In my second system my gain is at 12 o'clock, when I pause the music and turn the gain all the way, the noise gets louder.  ZAK

Wait what ...!!!!! No spl meter :) anyway you should be able to use full gain without hum or hiss........

ZAKski288

« Reply #143 on: 16 Nov 2014, 09:22 pm »
Wait what ...!!!!! No spl meter :) anyway you should be able to use full gain without hum or hiss........
SORRY, No meter.....I just eared it. ZAK

roscoeiii

« Reply #144 on: 16 Nov 2014, 09:51 pm »
IIRC, some folks have reported best sound with the gain on the XLS no turned all the way up. Something to play with as we are comparing amps...

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #145 on: 16 Nov 2014, 09:55 pm »
IIRC, some folks have reported best sound with the gain on the XLS no turned all the way up. Something to play with as we are comparing amps...

Yeah, for me it's at about 3 o'clock. Glad you could join in!

mr_bill

« Reply #146 on: 17 Nov 2014, 04:31 am »
What happened to the NCore Crown XLS comparisons?

roscoeiii

« Reply #147 on: 17 Nov 2014, 02:35 pm »
What happened to the NCore Crown XLS comparisons?

I'm sure they are coming from Jack.

a.wayne

« Reply #148 on: 17 Nov 2014, 03:18 pm »
Well its all dead here now, monday and we still havent  heard Jack , ....... :)

roscoeiii

« Reply #149 on: 17 Nov 2014, 03:31 pm »
He's probably still celebrating the Bears win.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #150 on: 17 Nov 2014, 03:32 pm »
I'm sure they are coming from Jack.

I'm sorry roscoeiii. I guess I thought you were able to meet up with Jack yesterday. Was that not the case?

roscoeiii

« Reply #151 on: 17 Nov 2014, 03:35 pm »
I'm sorry roscoeiii. I guess I thought you were able to meet up with Jack yesterday. Was that not the case?

No we haven't been able to catch up yet.

wushuliu

« Reply #152 on: 17 Nov 2014, 04:19 pm »

He's milking the suspense. It's the big dramatic pause in all the reality shows.

Watch this Key & Peele sketch on that, it's *brilliant*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPpzJAzdpTU

a.wayne

« Reply #153 on: 17 Nov 2014, 06:33 pm »

Yes rare moments are to  be taken in :lol: If it gets any quieter we'll  have to let Werd back in ....  :rotflmao:

OzarkTom

« Reply #154 on: 17 Nov 2014, 06:46 pm »
Leave Jack alone, some of us has to work for a living.

a.wayne

« Reply #155 on: 17 Nov 2014, 07:13 pm »
lighten up Tom, no one is busting Jack , all in jest......   :roll:

a.wayne

« Reply #156 on: 17 Nov 2014, 07:19 pm »
 :scratch:

Occam

« Reply #157 on: 17 Nov 2014, 07:25 pm »
Paul, you've poo pooed Y caps on a few occasions, do you think they're of a benefit here outside of regulation requirements?

Obviously, that filter will attenuate noise, both common mode [via the CMCs and Y caps] and normal/differential mode [via the leakage inductance of the CMCs and the X caps] in both directions, as an output filter to comply with FCC conducted noise requirements, as well as a power filter attenuating noise from the mains going into the ZLS amp.
Its also dumping common mode noise onto the safety ground of the mains, which might well be connected to the secondary's center tap of the power transformer in the component sitting next to the ZLS amp.
Using Y caps is much like educating your children in NYC, whatever you do is wrong, and the best you can hope for is to make the best compromises. (which, given the price point the amps are built to, I think Crown did very well.)

orientalexpress

« Reply #158 on: 17 Nov 2014, 07:58 pm »
It's there any mod to make this work with passive pre amp?Hate to have all those watts and not able to put to a good use :thumb:

roscoeiii

« Reply #159 on: 17 Nov 2014, 08:24 pm »
It's there any mod to make this work with passive pre amp?Hate to have all those watts and not able to put to a good use :thumb:

Should work fine with a passive pre, if your speakers are sensitive enough and the signal from your source is strong enough. But you may not be able to set the gain on the Crown to what some might think is the optimal level.

For systems without turntables, the gain from the source should be sufficient, with no active preamp gain stage required. Most (but not all) CD players and DACs have a 2V output, which should be ample.