Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

Folsom

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #120 on: 16 Nov 2014, 02:31 am »
Zak, if you're real bold you'll tell me what diode that is under the two screws.  :thumb: D901

ZAKski288

« Reply #121 on: 16 Nov 2014, 02:33 am »
Did you have the $7 cedar rings under the Crown? That makes quite an improvement on the depth. That was the first thing that I noticed when I tried it.
That might be it, I need to get some of those cedar rings, thanks OzarkTom . I sure hope Jackman has some .  ZAK

Occam

« Reply #122 on: 16 Nov 2014, 02:34 am »
Paul ,

What is there to disagree with , the Crown is not a balanced line amplifier.....

Agreed. My point is that I believe a properly balanced impedance input stage, fed by a balanced impedance output source offers substantial benefits, especially when you've a component that's leaking currents onto the safety ground.

Would somebody with a ZLS please [unplug the amp from the mains and] measure the resistance between the safety ground prong on the mains inlet and the outer signal ground on one of RCA sockets and post the value?  If there is no continuity, that would be great. TIA

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #123 on: 16 Nov 2014, 02:37 am »
That might be it, I need to get some of those cedar rings, thanks OzarkTom . I sure hope Jackman has some .  ZAK

Yep, he sure does.

ZAKski288

« Reply #124 on: 16 Nov 2014, 02:37 am »
Zak, if you're real bold you'll tell me what diode that is under the two screws.  :thumb: D901
Do you have to unscrew it or is the number on the outside.  ZAK

Folsom

« Reply #125 on: 16 Nov 2014, 02:38 am »
Paul, you've poo pooed Y caps on a few occasions, do you think they're of a benefit here outside of regulation requirements?

Folsom

« Reply #126 on: 16 Nov 2014, 02:39 am »
Do you have to unscrew it or is the number on the outside.  ZAK

It would be under the plate, held on by screws.

guest61169

« Reply #127 on: 16 Nov 2014, 02:50 am »
Some topology info from the development team.  Not sure if it will be of any assistance.   Reads a bit like a brochure.
http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/designer_notebook_inside_new_crown_xls_series_power_amplifiers/

ZAKski288

« Reply #128 on: 16 Nov 2014, 03:15 am »
It would be under the plate, held on by screws.
EIC  Backwords RU
RBV2506

ZAKski288

« Reply #129 on: 16 Nov 2014, 03:41 am »
Agreed. My point is that I believe a properly balanced impedance input stage, fed by a balanced impedance output source offers substantial benefits, especially when you've a component that's leaking currents onto the safety ground.

Would somebody with a ZLS please [unplug the amp from the mains and] measure the resistance between the safety ground prong on the mains inlet and the outer signal ground on one of RCA sockets and post the value?  If there is no continuity, that would be great. TIA
Not to sure if I measured right but. AC power cord ground and outer RCA, there is continuity 00.4 ohms.  RCA outer to XLR ground 81.3 ohms.  ZAK

Folsom

« Reply #130 on: 16 Nov 2014, 03:43 am »
I don't really care if there's a green alien that sings electrons into the speaker wires, and eats guinea pigs through some alien osmosis, inside the "amp" box... What you hear is what you hear, and that's the comparrison. So yes, you can compare anything you want.

Folsom

« Reply #131 on: 16 Nov 2014, 03:47 am »
Pin 1 would be what to measure the XLR to safety ground on IEC jack, middle leg. (Pin 1 is connected to chassis)

It appears this is a source for that noise as Paul predicted as possible. There's a circuit to safety/chassis ground. Where? Good question because if it's prior certain parts it'll also create a rise in induction. That's pretty textbook, so I'd like to think not but you'd also think there wouldn't be the continuity you just found.

jackman

« Reply #132 on: 16 Nov 2014, 03:50 am »
Hi Guy,
I've been playing with the Crown throughout the day.  Will provide a detailed update and comparison  tomorrow. I wanted to give it a chance to warm up and make sure my subs were dialed in properly. For starters, I'm always amazed by how compact and lightweight these little Class D amps are...and the Crown is no exception. It weighs almost nothing, runs cool and silent in my system. No issues with fan noise and setup was a breeze.

No matter how it compares to the NCore or more expensive amps, I'll probably pick up an XLS, especially if I find a 1500 for under $200. It is very compact and does not lack for power. Very impressive little amp so far...little in size only, not performance.

PS - if I get one, the binding posts will have to go, unless i just make a set of Speakon speaker cables.

ZAKski288

« Reply #133 on: 16 Nov 2014, 03:55 am »
Pin 1 would be what to measure the XLR to safety ground on IEC jack, middle leg. (Pin 1 is connected to chassis)

It appears this is a source for that noise as Paul predicted as possible. There's a circuit to safety/chassis ground. Where? Good question because if it's prior certain parts it'll also create a rise in induction. That's pretty textbook, so I'd like to think not but you'd also think there wouldn't be the continuity you just found.
81.3 ohms  ZAK

Folsom

« Reply #134 on: 16 Nov 2014, 04:01 am »
How about pin 1 to a chassis screw? And screw to RCA ground? (Outside)

ZAKski288

« Reply #135 on: 16 Nov 2014, 04:07 am »
How about pin 1 to a chassis screw? And screw to RCA ground? (Outside)
Yes they all measure 81.3 ohms.   ZAK

Folsom

« Reply #136 on: 16 Nov 2014, 04:08 am »
So then is it 81.3 from safety ground to chassis?

a.wayne

« Reply #137 on: 16 Nov 2014, 05:51 am »
Hi Guy,
I've been playing with the Crown throughout the day.  Will provide a detailed update and comparison  tomorrow. I wanted to give it a chance to warm up and make sure my subs were dialed in properly. For starters, I'm always amazed by how compact and lightweight these little Class D amps are...and the Crown is no exception. It weighs almost nothing, runs cool and silent in my system. No issues with fan noise and setup was a breeze.

No matter how it compares to the NCore or more expensive amps, I'll probably pick up an XLS, especially if I find a 1500 for under $200. It is very compact and does not lack for power. Very impressive little amp so far...little in size only, not performance.

PS - if I get one, the binding posts will have to go, unless i just make a set of Speakon speaker cables.

About time you surfaced , a whole day and we haven't heard Jack .... :)

OzarkTom

« Reply #138 on: 16 Nov 2014, 11:06 am »
Salis Audio will receive the Crown 1500 amp by Wednesday, maybe before. The Cryoman will receive a 1500 on Tuesday. It will be interesting on what they find.

I will go out on a limb and make this prediction. The cryo Crown is going to beat the stock Ncores, probably by a small margin. Cryo Ncores will probably beat the cryo Crown by a small margin, but who here is brave enough to have their Ncores cryo'd? I would never do that if I owned Ncores.

One of the next projects the Cryoman has for himself is to build his own Ncores and cryo them. He has heard the Ncores and likes how they sound.

ZAKski288

« Reply #139 on: 16 Nov 2014, 03:23 pm »
     Tell me something about the gain on Crown. When I compared the two amps I had the Ncore on the left speaker and the Crown on the right speaker and I adjusted the gain to match the volume of the Ncore . The gain setting was one click away from full gain, maybe that is why I had some hum noise. In my second system my gain is at 12 o'clock, when I pause the music and turn the gain all the way, the noise gets louder.  ZAK