Buchardt Audio S400

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Buchardt Audio S400
« on: 10 May 2019, 04:13 pm »
These look quite interesting. $1900 shipped in the USA

https://www.buchardtaudio.com/s400-detailed-descriptionhttps://www.buchardtaudio.com/shop

D&D competitor with just as much power from what I understand with active, WiSA and Roon coming soon too.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2019, 05:23 pm by jtwrace »

charmerci

Re: Buchardt Audio S400
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2019, 05:35 pm »
Has anyone here heard a Burchardt?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2019, 07:52 pm »
  Looks good on paper.

charles

JackD

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2019, 12:11 am »
I've got a pair on pre-order for the June shipment when they were offering 200 Euros off.  They should appear about the same time my La Voce comes back from Italy from its upgrade so they can break-in together in the Office system.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2019, 12:44 am »
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/buchardt-audio-s400.7499/page-2#post-174992

It was not like I read it as an attack or anything We are pretty clear under the description of the S400 that its a very cheap tweeter we use. Its an 19mm dome tweeter, its pretty simple to manufacturer such tweeter at next to no cost. But that do no meant that its bad. We even had the beryllium Satori tweeter in the lineup for this task, this cheap 19mm just performed way better for the application we needed in this case  Our waveguide is an casted thick aluminium one, the tooling for making this cast mold was freaking expensive! But we wanted this waveguide/tweeter design to be used in a lot of products in the future, so that should make up for that expense in the end hopefully. And we are also applying for a patent for that specific design as well. As for the products we are working on at the moment. We have two new active speakers up next. A short description on them :

S400A : Its close to the design of the S400 and then no really. It looks like it with the waveguide on top now (we can do time alignment in the DSP here). The cabinet is a bit deeper (4 centimeters). The big change is that we here use closed cabinets. We have one woofer on the front, and one on the back over the active system. Each woofer in its own cabinet inside so we can time aligned the back woofer. They dont have much space to work with so we need a ton of power for them. Here we have 3 x 150 w of some brand new class d chips from Texas Instruments and a powerfull power supply. And high quality DSP and the CS4398 DAC in each speaker as well. They can be connected via WISA to our hub and remote. Or any WISA receiver for that matter. Or you can simply connect them via XLR to your own pre amp and run them. But using our hub, you will also have the ability to use our Room correction, witch is a topic by it self. But in short, its made directly to handle the issues in the bass coursed by the room (sub 250hz) and it touches nothing else! I really cant emphasize enough how mind great this actually works, and its very easy to setup as well and measure your room.

S700A floorstander : All the same jazz, just with 4 x 150 w amps and a 3.5 way design instead of an 2.5 way. This will have waveguide, 6" midrange 4 x 2 x 6" woofers (17-200hz) and on the back 2 x 6" woofers (17-100hz). Still pretty elegant and compact design, but with a ton of power! I will attach some measurements from our 3. prototype (wasting now for the final prototype to get finished). These has been under development for almost 3 years now. We have spend so much time on them! We are sharing this active platform with other companies, but we have specified the amps and dacs in them. You can see the platform also used by System Audio in there new Silverback lineup. We have just upgraded the amps and dacs compared to these. But the Hub and features are basically the same. To carry development cost for something like this is alone is completely out the picture.

We are also working on two new passive in a new Performance series scheduled for 2020 :

P400 : basically an cheaper version of S400. Here we will be using the PFC series of SB 6" woofers, AMAZING drivers at an low cost! We will do some changes to them, one of them is an aluminium chassis. Otherwise a cheaper cabinet and much cheaper crossover compared to the S400. But it will be our best value for money product!

P700 Floorstander : 3 way with 6" midrange and 2 x 6" woofer supported by 4 x 6" passive radiators.Lastly we are also developing an amplifier! This might be a surprise  It started because i wanted to bring this fantastic new room correction to our passives as well. So we started the project as an room correction box alone. But getting more in to it, we actually ended up with an integrated design with the room correction in it instead. Tooling cost and approvals to be able to sell them worldwide and all that follows to start the production of this was estimated to cost $86.000!! This was the same cost for an room correction box on its own, so we decided to go with an all in one box (excepts streaming).

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2019, 12:47 am »

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2019, 11:49 am »
I've got a pair on pre-order for the June shipment when they were offering 200 Euros off.  They should appear about the same time my La Voce comes back from Italy from its upgrade so they can break-in together in the Office system.

Jack,

Looking forward to your subjective reviews. You have a nice constellation of speakers and hardware that many of us own or have owned, so your comparisons will be a great read I am sure  :popcorn:

Best,
Anand.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2019, 04:19 pm »
YT reviews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZJiEBtfah0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90wKT8aU1_g

Looks like there are even more on YT if you search "Buchardt S400"

Daverz

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jul 2019, 08:55 am »

[snip]

These look like plots for the S300.

ricardojoa

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jul 2019, 05:20 pm »
The on axis graph falls closer to s400 than s300 based on the graphs shown on buchard site.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 16 Oct 2019, 05:43 pm »
I have a pair of these playing now! 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #11 on: 16 Oct 2019, 06:07 pm »
Hopefully you approve... :popcorn:

Best,
Anand.

rockn

« Reply #12 on: 16 Oct 2019, 07:25 pm »
i had the S300ll, they were very nice. I've read the S400 are even better. I've since went Dynaudio special 40s.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 17 Oct 2019, 12:09 pm »
Hopefully you approve... :popcorn:

Best,
Anand.

Oh yes.  Very impressive.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 4 Dec 2019, 01:23 pm »
I finally got a pair of the S400's to listen to. All I can is WOW! The sound that comes from these monitors is truly exceptional - like scary good. The bass is insane for it's small size. I'm totally hooked and can't wait for their large floor-standers.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #15 on: 4 Dec 2019, 02:12 pm »

Hey Jack, did you ever get these?

JackD

« Reply #16 on: 4 Dec 2019, 04:23 pm »
Yes I did.  Kept them for the trial period and sent them back.  Srajen's review pretty much sums up my feelings about them.  While they are very good for their size and price and have amazing bass for their size they really do need to be played loud to get the full benefit.  As they were a prospect for an Office system where that is not the norm they just wouldn't have fit. In another environment they would be an easy recommendation.  They to my ears are on the warmer side of neutral.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #17 on: 4 Dec 2019, 05:31 pm »
The S400 looks like an Amphion bookshelf except with a 5x8 passive in the back.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #18 on: 7 Dec 2019, 12:08 pm »
The S400 looks like an Amphion bookshelf except with a 5x8 passive in the back.

And the S400 has the tweeter mounted below the mid/woofer, which I rather unlike.  But the Buchardt is a newer design so all else being equal, should equate to a better product. 

The Amphion speakers are promoted as being very room/placement friendly (no doubt a product of controlled directivity, but that still doesn't explain how bass "friendly" they can be if pushed into a corner). 

Unfortunately there aren't many places to audition either in the U.S.  Due to direct sales the Buchardt is less expensive to buy.