Manic Moose: Is there a way to go back to an older version?

Calypte

I have MM 2.38.  I'd like to return to the previous 2.36.  Is there a way to do it?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: Manic Moose: Is there a way to go back to an older version?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Oct 2018, 10:56 pm »
Is there a bug with S2.38 that your experiencing?

Calypte

« Reply #2 on: 4 Oct 2018, 11:28 pm »
Yes.  I don't understand how this could have been released.  I'll never take another firmware update.  I'd like to go back 2.36.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2018, 12:13 am »
It’s simple, we develop new features and perform testing, release testing releases to those that are interested and other bryston employees and fix bugs until no more have been reported or found.  Then we release the software as a stable release and fix anything that didn’t come up during testing in subsequent updates.  As you can see in the README found in the update firmware page we released an update shortly after the initial S2.38-2018-09-04 update, the S2.38-2018-09-11 and are preparing to release another update early next week.  If you place the bdp into service mode and email us the service id along with a short description of the problem we can see about fixing it for next weeks release.

Chris

Roberto135

« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2018, 11:41 am »
I also have several problems with the latest version. The updates last for many hours, the central Dashboard display is without messages,
and sometimes I even lost the MPD.
Now, if I click Audio Devices while listening, the music stops.

I hope that with the new update everything will be normalized...

Chris, can it be useful to redo the installation?

Roberto

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2018, 12:42 pm »
Just as an interested observer.. The method used, is not a problem for tech types who are used to bugs and fixes. For 'normal' folks, bugs and problems and having to redo downloads, multiple times to 'fix' irritating problems SUCKS. And generally leaves a very very bad taste for the product involved.
So the method of letting customers find your 'bugs' for you may work in the short term. But long term, it means the brand (at least for software driven products) WILL get a bad reputation as buggy and crap.
My suggestion is you need to do a LOT more testing, with  the goal of ZERO bugs and need for repeat updates. BEFORE your release software updates.
This from a non tech who has had my fill of bad updates in any form. I NEVER do any update. Just from experience they usually are worse than the problem being fixed. mainly, as I wrote, due to expecting ordinary folks to find your bugs for you.

Roberto135

« Reply #6 on: 5 Oct 2018, 04:37 pm »
I restarted again BDP-2 and now it seems to work better.
''BDP at nominal operation'' reappears on the display.

Calypte

« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2018, 06:28 pm »
Chris: I've encountered several issues. 

(1) Sometimes -- it's unpredictable -- it will display what looks like hex code (translated into English characters) in the window where we're supposed to see the list of albums.  Sometimes it will show an undelimited list of whatever it finds on the disk (WD Passport).  When that happens, the only solution is to power cycle the BDP-pi.   Now, I must say that after I posted my request to go back to 2.36, I reinstalled -- yet again -- the 2.38 update.  I haven't been able to reproduce the exact problem described above since the update late on Oct 3. 

(2) The "Sorting music into Bryston DB" function never completes.  It hangs up around 14% to 15%.  This issue has not been changed by reapplying the MM update.  It's intrinsic to 2.38.  It's the same whether I use Android phone or Windows computer.  The opening MM screen shows "Bryston DB crash detected."

(3) The opening screen shows (in addition to the message about the DB crash) messages that say "New firmware is available" and "Find out what's new!"  Are these supposed to work on the Android phone?  They don't!  They do nothing.  They work on the computer.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #8 on: 5 Oct 2018, 08:25 pm »
I also have several problems with the latest version. The updates last for many hours, the central Dashboard display is without messages,
and sometimes I even lost the MPD.
Now, if I click Audio Devices while listening, the music stops.

I hope that with the new update everything will be normalized...

Chris, can it be useful to redo the installation?

Roberto

Hi Roberto,

The next time it happens could you place the BDP into service mode and email me the service id along with a short description?

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf (page 24)

Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #9 on: 5 Oct 2018, 08:40 pm »
Chris: I've encountered several issues. 

(1) Sometimes -- it's unpredictable -- it will display what looks like hex code (translated into English characters) in the window where we're supposed to see the list of albums.  Sometimes it will show an undelimited list of whatever it finds on the disk (WD Passport).  When that happens, the only solution is to power cycle the BDP-pi.   Now, I must say that after I posted my request to go back to 2.36, I reinstalled -- yet again -- the 2.38 update.  I haven't been able to reproduce the exact problem described above since the update late on Oct 3. 

(2) The "Sorting music into Bryston DB" function never completes.  It hangs up around 14% to 15%.  This issue has not been changed by reapplying the MM update.  It's intrinsic to 2.38.  It's the same whether I use Android phone or Windows computer.  The opening MM screen shows "Bryston DB crash detected."

(3) The opening screen shows (in addition to the message about the DB crash) messages that say "New firmware is available" and "Find out what's new!"  Are these supposed to work on the Android phone?  They don't!  They do nothing.  They work on the computer.

Sounds like issues 1 & 2 might be connected as the data used by the feature found in issue 1 driven by data produced by the Bryston DB.  Issues 1&2 can likely be resolved, i just need the BDP placed into service mode to see whats causing it to hang. 

Issue 3 i can investigate the next time I'm home/work to make sure they are working or not as expected on an android device.  The firmware update message is just suppose to be a message, the check out whats new is suppose to take you to a document explaining/outlining whats new.

Chris

Roberto135

« Reply #10 on: 5 Oct 2018, 09:15 pm »
Hi Roberto,

The next time it happens could you place the BDP into service mode and email me the service id along with a short description?

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf (page 24)

Chris

Hi Chris, as I wrote, the second attempt seems to be all right, if I still have problems (I hope not), I'll let You know.

Roberto

Calypte

« Reply #11 on: 6 Oct 2018, 05:39 am »
Once I retrieve the Service ID, what happens then?  Don't you need information to get into my home network?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #12 on: 6 Oct 2018, 01:36 pm »
Service mode establishes a connection between the bdp and one of our servers allowing the remote access.

Chris

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #13 on: 6 Oct 2018, 03:20 pm »
It's almost magical, man.  :lol:
Had it done for my BDP once, a long tyme ahgoh.  :thumb:

Calypte

« Reply #14 on: 10 Oct 2018, 04:28 am »
I haven't given up on this.  This afternoon I got the garbage screen that was the basis of my original post.  Do I have to shut down MM to get the service code?  If I do, then there's no way you could see the problem.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #15 on: 11 Oct 2018, 12:52 pm »
The bdp needs to remain on so that we can access it, please see page 24 of the manic moose manual. 

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Chris