How to handle car rust situation.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
How to handle car rust situation.
« on: 5 Jun 2021, 04:45 am »
I own a Ford that is 8 years old. On the doors, the bottom, cabin side of the doors are starting to have paint bubbling/rust. From what I was told from a body shop, it is supposedly a Ford manufacturing defect of poorly designed doors that can't drain properly.

I need to get this fixed regardless. My question is, how would you approach it? Who is responsible to fix it? Ford? Insurance company? Me?

I have an idea on what it costs to fix it. Plus, I have other things that need cosmetic repair. Even though the car is 8 years old, it has low enough mileage to warrant having it fixed so I can hold onto it for a few more years.

Any thoughts?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: How to handle car rust situation.
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2021, 10:50 am »
Oh my, I know you well Steve so I know that you're not old, but I could have guessed from the post.  Every person here over 60 had cars in their youth that all rusted out, every one of them.  They used to be built like trucks, body assembled over a frame, when you bought a used car you knew the body has rust, you only cared if the frame was rusted.  Then they switched to unibody construction with no frame, and when they rusted the car literally fell apart.  When you went looking at used cars you always took a magnet and an ice pick to uncover hidden rust and putty repairs. 

Rust is just like cancer, it spreads everywhere and to fix it you have to cut it out, and even then it often returns.  Basically you have to get to clean metal, depending on the depth of the rust that can be anything from a wire wheel on a drill to a sawsall.  Rough pieces can be smoothed with auto putty, missing pieces need to be repaired with welded or riveted patches. 

If it's just some cosmetic rust and the metal is sound fix it and drive on happy.  If it's any deeper and pieces have rusted through, fix it and sell it immediately.  Of course honest people will reveal the repair when selling, but it's not going away unless you replace the entire door or body piece.  Thinking about it that may be the suggested repair if it's bad, replacing the door may be cheaper than trying to repair a rusted through door.  Good luck.

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2021, 11:03 am »
Just doing a quick internet search it appears that Ford offers a 5 year corrosion warranty.  I’d verify that first. If that’s the case, and you believe the rust started during that 5 year period, you can plead your case to the local Ford Dealership or Ford directly but I’m 99.9% sure neither will care what you think.  Unless there’s been class action litigation or covered under ‘lemon law’ I’d say you’re out of luck dealing with Ford.

The next step I’d probably do is review my auto insurance coverage or spend a dime and call my auto insurance company and see what they say about rust damage. Again I’m 99.9% sure they’ll tell you it’s not covered.

Now it’s time to head out and get quotes to repair the damage or replace doors/panels. My completely uneducated opinion is that if there’s rust in the doors there’s rust elsewhere.  I’d suggest you determine how aggressively you want to address the rust and other issues. Are you interested in complete rust eradication and a repair of the other damage or a simple cosmetic cover up that will buy you a couple years and produce a ‘10 footer’. My guess is that the cost between the two will be dramatic.

Once you get those bids it’s time for you and your wallet to make some decisions. Personally I wouldn’t spend the money for a cosmetic cover up and unless it’s a Ford GT (which it can’t be given that it’s 8 years old) I likely wouldn’t pay to have the rust eradicated. I’d keep it in good mechanical shape and drive it into the ground.  I personally like my vehicles with some ‘charm’.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2021, 08:16 pm »
Find a junkyard door that matches color.  I'd bet it would be cheaper than using a body shop to cut out the rust, repair, and paint.  I've used this finder before successfully. 
https://www.car-part.com/

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2021, 12:33 am »
At this point, it probably is just surface rust/paint bubbling on three of the four doors with the fourth door having more visible rust.

At this point, I am going to get it fixed since I will keep the vehicle for a few more years. I need to get a real estimate and details.

I am planning to get a new vehicle in a few years. I just don't know what to get. That will be a separate thread.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2021, 04:13 am »
Interesting that there is various trucks with aluminium cabins but not cars or suv  :scratch:

Bemopti123

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2021, 12:39 pm »
Interesting that there is various trucks with aluminium cabins but not cars or suv  :scratch:

Ford began to use Aluminum in their body parts not too many years ago and only on the F150 I believe.  The only other car I know that used Aluminum I think was the Audi 8.  Aluminum is not commonly used in cars because once damaged, it is extremely difficult to fix vs stamped steel parts.  Aluminum needs to be replaced.   

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 6 Jun 2021, 12:47 pm »
Ford began to use Aluminum in their body parts not too many years ago and only on the F150 I believe.  The only other car I know that used Aluminum I think was the Audi 8.  Aluminum is not commonly used in cars because once damaged, it is extremely difficult to fix vs stamped steel parts.  Aluminum needs to be replaced.   
The F150 price was more expensive?

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #8 on: 6 Jun 2021, 02:18 pm »
Oh the joys of rust repair! If it is just surface rust, it'll be an involved process, but totally worth doing for the right car. Probably a couple thousand for the repair work at a competent facility that will properly fix it but it sounds like the car is still worth the investment back into it. As for the aluminum discussion, I know several manufacturers use aluminum (some European cars have been doing so since the 90s). It is harder to work with to repair body panels and if they use it for structural panels like Tesla then those damaged can cause the car to be totaled. Aluminum has a much more delicate/precise repair process, specialty stud welder dent pullers, separate set of tools to avoid cross contamination, mandatory sanding through a water bath vacuum unit to avoid static electricity starting a fire in the shop, etc. But hey, it doesn't rust from salted winter roads and it'll save a few thousand dollars worth of fuel so that's a perk!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #9 on: 6 Jun 2021, 03:16 pm »
I was an auto truck and body man for years. My suggestion is....do it right. The bubbles mean there was moister that made it's way under the primer. There is no way of telling what its like under the paint till it's sanded down. If the rust has started to created tiny holes in the metal or worse, then the best way to fix is to remove the metal effected and weld in a new piece. Grinding, filling with bondo and painting will result in it returning within a year or so. Depending on your winters.
If you plan on keeping it for a few more years, its worth doing it right.

Bemopti123

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jun 2021, 04:20 pm »
The F150 price was more expensive?

It was and Ford was trying to convince the F150 buyers that the aluminum truck was lighter, therefore, saving gas in the long run. I heard to repair them, it was an ordeal.  Sure, save money in gas but if it ever gets damaged, oh brother.  Car that uses aluminum parts are usually high end...  Teslas, I heard, once you get into even a minor fender bender, it can be prohibitively expense to get them fixed.  Guess being a Tesla driver means.... that you are showing you can spend $$$$ should it ever get into an accident. 

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #11 on: 7 Jun 2021, 01:37 pm »
I agree with the find a good junkyard door that has no rust. repaint it to match. As being a better solution than fixing the rust.
Also though, the fender edges and under door sills are also certainly rusting...

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #12 on: 7 Jun 2021, 02:34 pm »
Another idea, although a possibly crazy one, is what about those aftermarket chrome rocker panel pieces?  I don’t know how they attach but you might be able to just cover the rust up until you eventually sell the car.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 7 Jun 2021, 04:50 pm »
I would never, ever be dishonest and hide something as major as rust on a car. I would disclose it and/or price the vehicle as such.

richidoo

« Reply #14 on: 7 Jun 2021, 05:23 pm »
Scrape it off as much rust as you can then coat it with a professional rust preventative coating like POR-15 or Chassis Saver, etc.

They are said to permanently stop rust by sealing out moisture and oxygen. Much thicker and tougher than enamel paint. Like a tar rubberish coating.  Then you can paint over it if you want.

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #15 on: 7 Jun 2021, 05:42 pm »
I would never, ever be dishonest and hide something as major as rust on a car. I would disclose it and/or price the vehicle as such.

Who suggested that you hide it or be dishonest?  If you’re referring to my comment those panel covers would simply cover the rust so you don’t have to look at it, which seems so important. Absolutely disclose the rust (trust me you won’t have to say anything if you wait to two more years to sell the car) or remove the panels, I couldn’t care less.  Lol, Lighten up.

Photon46

« Reply #16 on: 7 Jun 2021, 07:32 pm »

80's & 90's Mercedes W107 & w126 chassis cars used aluminum hoods in many models. Starting in 2019, Mercedes G-class and 2021 S-class vehicles are using aluminum doors, hoods, roof, trunk lids, & side members. Steel is used for interior body construction.