New truck?

rajacat

• Washington State
New truck?
« on: 30 Jun 2017, 06:11 am »
Presently, a new 2017 Ford F150 with EcoBoost V6, 4wd, supercab XL is at the top of my list. The XLT is also on the list for some of the extras but I'm trying to keep the cost low.
Curious about other makes in comparison. Open to suggestions and opinions. Prices have been going down recently in anticipation of the 2018 models. I'm ready to buy now.

RDavidson

Re: New truck?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2017, 01:06 am »
Ford has a hell of an engine with their V6 Ecoboost. I like that they're successully moving away from antiquated V8's in modern vehicles. Not to mention, they're higher performing and more efficient pretty much across the board. I'd take a Raptor in a heartbeat, and I'm not even a big "truck guy." :thumb:

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2017, 05:53 am »
I don't know if I'd recommend the v6 for towing however. It may have the power, but will it operate at higher load for a long time when a v8 has an easier time? Low end torque? Aside from that, the v6 seems great. Although an aluminum bed isn't that appealing. These days I'd be mostly tempted by Toyota. LSD and the creep setting can get you out of basically anything. Ford only has a rear locker option. For towing the Chevy's are pretty outright amazing in the light fullsize class, but I hate their interiors and feel of doors... sick of GM for life except old classics.

mav52

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2017, 11:57 am »
I was looking for a truck at the start of the year, drove the Chev, Ford, Dodges, and Toyota.  I ended up buying a Ford supercrew, 3.5 eco boast, Lariat 4x4.  The chevy just felt to plasticy inside, road a little rough, the dodge I just couldn't get over quality ratings  and the Dodge had the smoothest ride,but the service departments in my area for dodge were not up to par. PS the Chev just jiggled on the road. The Toyota Tundra, nice truck but, the overall cost and the gas millage was not to my liking, rough a little ridged . IF Toyota would had better mileage ratings and a little smoother ride I would be owning one right now.  The Ford overall, rode great,, nice extras in the package, service in my area is great plus the give you a free loaner, something the others except Toyota didn't offer in my area..  The 3.5 pulls a 24 foot center console without hesitation and a  4 stall tandem axle horse trailer, ps: the trailer back up feature is pretty darn cool and it actually works, the truck bed no issues its called a bedliner. I've hauled a few bed loads of jumbo rainbow river rock which was dumped into the bed via bobcat and the bedliner did its magic, NO DENTS in the bed.

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2017, 05:53 pm »
I think modern V6's (like the Ford) are as capable as yesterday's V8's and can handle basic towing just as well. Keep in mind that trucks are Ford's best sellers. They wouldn't promote their V6's if they didn't think they could hold up to old V8 standards. If you need SERIOUS towing, obviously a diesel is the way to go. No argument there.

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2017, 06:41 pm »
The only Fords I would buy is their trucks.

It is a shame Toyota isn't squeezing a few more MPG out of their trucks. But they don't have turbo maintenance. And seriously, if you do off road and poor conditions the Toyota is King.