Super V in Baltic Birch Enclosure

nickd

Re: Super V in Baltic Birch Enclosure
« Reply #40 on: 11 Jul 2011, 07:09 pm »
The Ninja sent the crossovers today. Sonicap Platinum bypass caps added for extreem performance. With any luck I will be listening Saturday night. :banana piano:

It's good to know when a build gets complicated, there are plenty of good folks here on the circle willing to help out.

Thanks Jon and Sean

The Ninja

• Industry Participant
  • Manufacturer
    • Skiing Ninja Systems
« Reply #41 on: 12 Jul 2011, 12:01 am »
Glad we were able to get your networks finished this weekend :D

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #42 on: 26 Jul 2011, 03:01 pm »

Very nice.

Can you share how you built the grills? How are they attatched? Any pictures?

Rocket_Ronny

jparkhur

« Reply #43 on: 26 Jul 2011, 03:20 pm »

Rocket,

The grills are just fabric from the local store, its called black crape, and each one is special to the opening since i don't use a cnc machine on the fronts, hand cut with a router.  Nothing special, just planning and patience.  The grills are either spray glued on the back or I use window screen gaskets and run a cut all around the back to tuck the fabric in.  I forget what I did one these.  The grills are pressure fit, but I included basic tab velcro connections. I picked up some mags, but I have yet to use them in a project.  I have to do some more fiddling with them to get them right.  I think Ron does a nice job and Ruben, you may want to ask them.  I am not sure if Nick has these together yet?  Nick?????  Any reviews on the sound????  On a side note... no speakers lately... just chairs.. the spouse wanted them "NOW"  Cedar, nine coats of green ( I call it baby crap green, she likes it so ...)Pillows from Kohls.....

JP

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #44 on: 26 Jul 2011, 03:52 pm »

Thanks for sharing.

So when you spray glue them on you are talking what glue?

How do you hold the fabric in place to set?

Rocket_Ronny

jparkhur

« Reply #45 on: 26 Jul 2011, 04:38 pm »
3m spray...i put the fabric down on a surface, clamp it at four sides and then lay the sticky side of sprayed grill on it, after it dries, spray back edges and fold over corners to finish back, cut extra, or finish how u want.  Jp

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #46 on: 26 Jul 2011, 05:26 pm »

8)

Rocket_Ronny

nickd

« Reply #47 on: 26 Jul 2011, 10:41 pm »
Well, the Merlot Super V's are togther in place and sounding wicked 8)

I will post a pic or two tomorrow. I ran short one sheet of no rez and have to do some more work on the grills. I also need to spike them when I decide on final placement and toe in.

I am still getting used to the imaging. The combination of a Coax driver in OB configuration is quite different than what I am used too. The resolution is amazing, the bass deep, powerfull and tunefull and the soundstage is as deep as a cavern. The imaging (center fill mostly) changes a lot with toe changes.

I need to trim the 12" Mid/Woofer with a High pass cap on my amp before I can get final settings on the amps dialed in. They are just a tad "warm" overall right now on the upper bass / lower mids from the coax. The caps should should make the lower midrange / upper bass "snap" a little more as the IMD goes down and the speed goes up.

As far as "fun factor" goes. I think I may own my last of loudspeakers for quite some time. I am quite smitten. The Super V is very special indeed.

BTW, Thanks again Jon. The workmanship on these is very good.
« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2011, 03:12 pm by nickd »

Danny Richie

« Reply #48 on: 26 Jul 2011, 10:48 pm »
I need to trim the 12" Mid/Woofer with a High pass cap on my amp before I can get final settings on the amps dialed in. They are just a tad "warm" overall right now on the upper bass / lower mids from the coax. The caps should should make the lower midrange / upper bass "snap" a little more as the IMD goes down and the speed goes up.

I used a .047uF Sonicap Platinum in an in line RCA to my amp and that worked out really well. Depending on the input impedance of your amp a .033uF or a .022uF value could do it as well.

That took a little bit of weight away from the lower vocals and let them balance out nicely. It also remove any low frequency demand on my amp since it rolled off the bottom end before the amp.

nickd

« Reply #49 on: 27 Jul 2011, 03:20 pm »
Thanks for the cap info Danny. I have Three amps right now with different imput impedances 3.5k 100k and 150k so I may have to get creative.

Here are some pics. A little rough but it's a work in progress.

nickd

« Reply #50 on: 27 Jul 2011, 03:24 pm »
More pics

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #51 on: 27 Jul 2011, 04:36 pm »
Beautiful set up Nick!

Have you tried speaker level in to the servo amp yet?

I have mine speaker level....am I missing an advantage with the RCA hook up?

nickd

« Reply #52 on: 27 Jul 2011, 06:41 pm »
PDR,
I haven't tried the speaker level sub input yet. I am waiting for proper length cables for the subs. I ordered a 6m and a 8m Audioquest Black Thunder II from Audio Advisor last week. They were almost reasonable ($315. delevered) my straight wires are only 19' and don't reach the far side amp very well. I am using a Cary Cenima 12 for the Preamp/DAC so I run balanced to the main amp/amps. Single ended to the subs.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #53 on: 27 Jul 2011, 06:48 pm »
Cool, but why not just a 16" jumper from the speakers binding posts to the subs amp?

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #54 on: 27 Jul 2011, 07:16 pm »

Nice.

What tube amp is that? Looks like a mono block.

Rocket_Ronny

nickd

« Reply #55 on: 27 Jul 2011, 07:46 pm »
PDR, I plan on filtering the amp input with a 6db high pass at 80hz like Danny does in his system. there will be too little low bass at the amp output for sub use.

Ronny, those are (custom built) Borbely A 15W SE monos using the 6C33C-B Triode output tube. Nice in the winter but I go SS during the summer.

nickd

« Reply #56 on: 27 Jul 2011, 07:54 pm »
Ronny here is a link for info on the amp design if you want to build a pair.

http://audioproject.net/pdf/15wse.pdf[/ftp]

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #57 on: 27 Jul 2011, 07:56 pm »

Thanks for the link.

I don't want to build any amps however. Always looking for super good stuff to offer others though.

Rocket_Ronny

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #58 on: 27 Jul 2011, 08:27 pm »
Ah yes I see it now, should of read back on the thread.

2bigears

« Reply #59 on: 28 Jul 2011, 04:54 pm »
 :D my wood is in house and made it to Canada in perfect condition.Jon does good work and i am a happy camper.waiting for Danny's parts when he is done his cap testing....cant wait to hear the end product. :D