Help me choose N2 or N3?

chronicali

Re: Help me choose N2 or N3?
« Reply #20 on: 19 Oct 2010, 12:13 am »
Those are beautiful, Ron.  How much are they going for? ;)

Ron

« Reply #21 on: 19 Oct 2010, 01:06 am »
  Send me a PM and I will be glad to give you a price.

mcallister

« Reply #22 on: 19 Oct 2010, 09:45 pm »
Those are beautiful, Ron.  How much are they going for? ;)

I actually bought that pair from Ron. I must say they are great speakers with a great build as well. Very tight punchy mid range and the Neo tweeter is open airy and sweet. Thanks Ron!!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #23 on: 20 Oct 2010, 05:00 pm »
Hey Ron, would you just do cabinets only so our inner DIY can be soothed??

Ron

« Reply #24 on: 20 Oct 2010, 07:59 pm »
 Whenever I build speakers I prefer to build a completely assembled and finished system. I mainly build GR Research speakers for the fun of it and to offer a finished system to those who want  GR Research speakers like the N2X or N3S but don't have the skills or time to build them. If my shop were larger and set up differently I would offer cabinets too for the inner DIY, but unfortunately it isn't. Normally I like to build only a few systems during the year. I am sorry but at least for the present time it will be finished systems only

Ron

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #25 on: 20 Oct 2010, 10:28 pm »

Nice work Ron! :thumb:

Don't forget to get the back side of those woofer holes! :wink: If I remember correctly they require a minimum 3/8" round over.

Are you using a PVA and paperbacked veneer, or contact cement and paperbacked veneer?

Thanks,

Ruben

dvenardos

« Reply #26 on: 20 Oct 2010, 10:31 pm »
I recommend elemental designs for cabinets and flat packs, they are really great to work with.

Ron

« Reply #27 on: 20 Oct 2010, 10:47 pm »
 Thanks Ruben for the compliment. You do very nice work too.

I use a heat activated glue by the brand name Heat Lock. Works very well for me. Also, I use a paperbacked veneer.

Ron

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 20 Oct 2010, 11:00 pm »
Thanks Ruben for the compliment. You do very nice work too.

Thanks, and you're welcome. :)

I use a heat activated glue by the brand name Heat Lock. Works very well for me. Also, I use a paperbacked veneer.

I know of the stuff. It's actually made by Better-Bond. "Heat-Lock" is the name of their iron on PVA.

I look forward to seeing your next project! :thumb:

Ruben

Zerogravity

« Reply #29 on: 22 Oct 2010, 07:05 pm »
I recommend elemental designs for cabinets and flat packs, they are really great to work with.

E.D. Is a very good company although I don't think their kits hold a candle to Rubens! I got a quote from both and I believe Rubens from "Out Of The Woods" were a little more affordable. Still it is nice to have a choice as tastes vary. GOD I love this country!

dvenardos

« Reply #30 on: 22 Oct 2010, 07:56 pm »
Really, wow!  :o
I just assumed Ruben was expensive based on the amazing quality of his work.  :duh:

E.D. Is a very good company although I don't think their kits hold a candle to Rubens! I got a quote from both and I believe Rubens from "Out Of The Woods" were a little more affordable. Still it is nice to have a choice as tastes vary. GOD I love this country!

Zerogravity

« Reply #31 on: 24 Oct 2010, 03:52 pm »
Really, wow!  :o
I just assumed Ruben was expensive based on the amazing quality of his work.  :duh:
  Well let me be a little more
specific and say that was just a quote on a flat pack kit I got from both. I honestly have no Idea how a whole cabinet or speaker build would compare between the two?

Zerogravity

« Reply #32 on: 24 Oct 2010, 03:57 pm »
Hey Ruben, I know your very busy but I wanted to let you know, I sent a P.M. for a flat pack! :thumb:

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #33 on: 25 Oct 2010, 05:04 pm »
Hey Ruben, I know your very busy but I wanted to let you know, I sent a P.M. for a flat pack! :thumb:

Back at ya!

Ruben

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #34 on: 26 Oct 2010, 12:01 am »
  I have a question about the N3 build.  Is there any acoustic reason for the round over of the front edges of the N3s?  I was just reading something about diffraction and was wondering...

Ron

« Reply #35 on: 26 Oct 2010, 12:48 am »
 The round over on the front vertical edges does help somewhat to minimize diffraction. However, I normally like to round over the front verrtical edges on the enclosures I build mainly for esthetic reasons. Presently building a pair of N3S enclosures with a 1/2" radius on the front vertical edges.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #36 on: 26 Oct 2010, 02:09 am »
Thanks for the reply Ron.

Maybe you could answer another question?  Danny has the hole for the tweeter as 4.3 inches and the countersink diameter as 5.11 inches.  I don't have a decimal measuring tape handy  :wink:  what are the measurements you use?

Ron

« Reply #37 on: 26 Oct 2010, 03:27 am »
 I make the diameter of the hole cut for the tweeter flange 5-1/8" (5.125") x .250" deep. The hole for the tweter is 4-5/16" (4.312"). Hole cuts are made using a Jasper circle cutting jig attached to my router.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #38 on: 26 Oct 2010, 10:50 am »
Thanks again!  I'll have an eye on your N3s build thread as I make my own.

I picked up one of those jigs.  Haven't tried it yet...

My kit shipped yesterday. :hyper:

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #39 on: 8 Nov 2010, 12:22 pm »
I started building the boxes yesterday.  I'm just doing BB plywood with mitered corners and the plies showing in the front.    A bit of a finicky build.  If I don't embarrass myself I will post some pics.  I will add some 1/4 masonite and some other "stuff" inside to help with damping.

A small question, on the N3s which way is the brace oriented?  The half hole towards the back?  Does the front of the brace touch the front of the box?

I haven't made the holes yet but I set up and tried the Jasper Circle Jig.  Lovely...
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2010, 04:53 pm by django11 »