OB5 pictures

RAW

OB5 pictures
« on: 15 Oct 2006, 12:43 pm »

These OB5 open top designs are for a happy customer of Danny's.
Wrapped in a figured makore with the rear of the open baffle veneered to match.
The bases are not atttached but shown in the middle of the 2 cabinets as they all head out of the spray booth

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
Re: OB5 pictures
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2006, 12:56 pm »
Al,

Those are stunning!  :thumb:Thanks for the pics. Make sure to post pics when the drivers get installed. Was that a paperback veneer that you used?

Cheers

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2006, 01:44 pm »
Very nice Al.

George

HT cOz

« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2006, 03:44 pm »
Looking good Al, nice work.  :thumb:

Nick V

« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2006, 09:24 pm »
Wow!! They look incredible. Very, very nice work indeed.

darienlake

« Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2006, 02:37 am »
 :drool:

wow!!! ... Al.. what does something like this go for???

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2006, 12:35 am »
Lookin' good, Al! Love that figured Makore.

ewarren

« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2006, 03:44 am »
Very nice work.  What did you spray them with, Lacquer, poly,ETC....?  Also, what sheen of finish did you use?

RAW

« Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2006, 02:45 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys.
Could not reply as I am out of town attending a funeral and email service is not available here.

These cabinets for this customer, he had original planned to purchase the AV-3 from Danny and ordered his cabinets from us.
After doing a little reading he changed his mind and upgraded to the OB-5

The front baffles are 1.25" MDF not the 1" as noted on Dannys plans.Just for a little more strength in the baffle and the cabinets are made from .75" MDF as per Danny's plans with removeable bottom plates for the crossovers to be attached to then reinstalled and the bases mounted to these removeable bottom plates.
We also put in seals we cut into the plate the bottom sits into to seal off the bottom and also prevent any vibrations.(this can be done a different way with no removeable plates for the crossovers if you use terminal cups or a bi-wire plate to pull the wires out the terminal cup for wiring)This will require puting the crossovers on seperate boards and installing the crosssover boards threw the woofer holes.This will make the bottom of the cabinets solid with no removeable bottom plates.

-We veneered the rear of the front baffle first in the figured makore than built the cabinet around the front panel.This was done due to we radiused the rear openings for the mids and you can not do this with a router after the cabinet is assembled.
-Then veneered the top of the cabinet the small pieces at the top of the baffles
Next to be veneered was the rear panels.
-Then the top of the lower cabinet was veneered
-Last the wrap was done from the front down the sides.
-bases are 1.25" MDF all machined for the customer to install the spikes from Danny.

The Figured Makore is a paper backed veneer we have and for a upgrade from the Cherry that the AV-3 was to finished in this is what the customer ordered.

Adding a dye to the veneer adds more depth to the figured makore plus also the dye penitrates into the raw mdf in the open part of the driver areas that will be open up top of the cabinet.

Finish is a satin laquer and yes we spray our finishes with 10 plus coats on these OB-5.Sanding and blocking  between coats.

Price for the cabinets as shown with bases all machined for spikes(customer installs)
$1700.00 for the pair with shipping included to you.
This Figured makore paper back veneer 2 mirror sheets $690.00 for the veneer alone.Now does the veneer warrent the price?We think so.Exotic veneer is not cheap and having sheets matched is a upcharge as well to have them made that way.
And yes we have the exotic veneers made for us when we need them if we do not have them in stock.
These OB-5 can be finished in many other options from as shown to your standard cherry ,maple,oak,walnut veneers for a lower cost.Then you can also go up from these cabinets depending on the veneer you pick as well as sheen of the laqure,Solid wood fronts,Solid wood bases, bases veneered to match the cabinets ect.

As for pictures of them fully assembled!Sorry you will have to see if the customer posts them as we are shipping them out as shown not assembled.

Thanks for the comments

klh

« Reply #9 on: 17 Oct 2006, 09:56 pm »
They are beautiful... I'd be scared to install the drivers!!! Knowing me I'd scratch or chip the veneer :(.

nrenter

« Reply #10 on: 22 Oct 2006, 11:49 pm »
More pictures, please (particularly of the OB-7s, if you've got them)!!!

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #11 on: 23 Oct 2006, 12:01 am »
More pictures, please (particularly of the OB-7s, if you've got them)!!!

A couple of us have OB 5's currently being built, we're all going to post some pic's and give our thoughts on them. A couple of us have AV/3's already so we'll write about how they compare. So, just keep checkin' in.

Hang in there! :thumb:

Cheers

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #12 on: 28 Oct 2006, 02:25 pm »
Here are some photo's of OB 5's during the build process. More to follow.

Cheers

Christof

« Reply #13 on: 28 Oct 2006, 02:39 pm »
Who is building the cabinets in the picture above?

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #14 on: 28 Oct 2006, 02:48 pm »
Who is building the cabinets in the picture above?

I am, I've built a number of speaker projects, just click on my Gallery below.

Cheers

ebag4

« Reply #15 on: 28 Oct 2006, 03:37 pm »
Can you tell me what you used to get that nice curve on the sides?  I am trying to do a similar thing with my B200 OB baffles but it is going very slowly.

Thanks,
Ed

klh

« Reply #16 on: 28 Oct 2006, 04:17 pm »
You do nice work DGO.

JoshK

« Reply #17 on: 28 Oct 2006, 04:24 pm »
Can you tell me what you used to get that nice curve on the sides?  I am trying to do a similar thing with my B200 OB baffles but it is going very slowly.

Thanks,
Ed

Ditto...never seen curved sides done like that before.  Wow.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #18 on: 28 Oct 2006, 04:25 pm »
These ones are shaped out of 1 3/8 MDF. Not easy for the DIY'er. We have what basically amounts to a pantograph type carving machine. It works similar to a CNC, except it's not numeric controlled.

For the DIY'er, you could do bent laminations, or you could trace a profile on the edge and shape with a belt sander, difficult, but doable for a one off. If you wanted to veneer over the curve, then the hand shape one is not recommended as you will more than likely have parallax error, and the veneer will buckle and wrinkle.

You do nice work DGO.

Thanks

Cheers

ebag4

« Reply #19 on: 28 Oct 2006, 04:32 pm »
Thanks DGO, the belt sander route is the method I am currently using, very slow and inexact.

Best,
Ed