Future Bryston CD Player Still A Go?

Gumby

Re: Future Bryston CD Player Still A Go?
« Reply #480 on: 2 Dec 2019, 02:41 am »
Probably a partial answer to your question:

The CXu is a blu ray player, while the CXC is a CD-only transport, with no capabilities for DVD or SACD; however, it has been specifically designed to reproduce RedBook 16/44.1 - - and does it very well, indeed - - especially for its price. 

I have my CXC on the shelf, as a backup to the BCD-3, in the remote event something goes South with the BCD-3.

IMO, a CXC > BDA-3 combination is a very good one.

George

George, how does the CXC > BDA-3 sound compared to BCD-3?   

I’m thinking of upgrading CD player to the BCD-3 , or use my CD player as a transport for a BDA-3.   

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #481 on: 2 Dec 2019, 03:21 am »
Gumby,

At first, I couldn't detect any differences; however, after listening for some period, I found the transport / Dac combination to be wearing.The female voice is less clear.  Much, much more so than with the BCD-3.  (Same CD selection of symphonies, chorals and operas.)
Why?
I might attribute the effect to the transport /  Dac  combination not having a single dedicated timer, thus increasing jitter.
The BCD-3 uses a single high accuracy clock for the internal transport and the internal Dac. And there could be a difference in the transport mechanisms, per se.
Regardless, 'm still keeping the transport and Dac as backup.

I can say that for a couple of hours, I don't notice it - - but a longer listening session clearly becomes wearing.  (Disclaimer: I only listen to classical music. No jazz, rock, hard rock, metal.  This might make a difference in how listening fatigue sets in.)

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #482 on: 2 Dec 2019, 12:25 pm »
I haven't heard a BCD-3 as a CD player, but I use my BCD-1 as a transport, feeding a BDA-3 (BNC). The combo sounds superb.

I predict that a lesser-calibre CDP, used as a transport to BDA-3, would also reap the sonic benefits of the DAC. YMMV as usual.

Just my 2 cents worth.

cheers

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #483 on: 2 Dec 2019, 12:57 pm »

This is excerpted from a longer article available here:
https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/contents/proaudio/docs/audio_quality/05_audio_quality.html

audibility of jitter:

Assuming a 0dBfs sine wave audio signal with a frequency of 10kHz as a worst case scenario, a jitter signal with a peak level of 5ns will generate a combined A/D and D/A jitter noise peak level of:

EA/D+D/A = 20.log(2.5.10-92.π.10.103) = -64dBfs

When exposed to listeners without the audio signal present, this would be clearly audible. However, in real life jitter noise only occurs with the audio signal in place, and in that case masking occurs: the jitter noise close to the audio signal frequency components will be inaudible, so the average audio signal’s spectrum will mask a significant portion of the jitter noise.

Note that the predicted level is the jitter noise peak level generated by 0dBfs audio signals. In real life, the average RMS level of jitter noise will be lowered by many dB’s because of the audio program’s crest factor and the system’s safety level margins used by the sound engineer. Music with a crest factor of 10dB played through a digital audio system with a safety level margin of 10dB will then generate jitter noise below -84dBfs.

The audibility of jitter is a popular topic on internet forums. Often a stand-alone digital mixing console is used in a listening session, toggling between its internal clock and external clock. In these comparisons it is important to know that such comparison sessions only work with a stand-alone device. If any other digital device is connected to the mixer, then clock phase might play a more significant role in the comparison results than jitter.

In uncontrolled tests, many subjective and non-auditory sensations have a significant influence on the result.

In multiple clinical tests, the perception threshold of jitter has been reported to lie between 10 nanoseconds(* 5U) for sinusoidal jitter and 250 nanoseconds(* 5V) for noise shaped jitter - with actual noise shaped jitter levels in popular digital mixing consoles being below 10 nanoseconds.

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #484 on: 2 Dec 2019, 02:14 pm »
maestro,

The BCD-3 DAC uses the same chips (2) and input-output of the Bryston BDA-3.  In effect, a  BDA-3 with a single purpose.

The transport is excellent. It's metal throughout, rather than having plastic parts. The transport is from an Austrian manufacturer:  It's a StreamUnlimited JPL-2800.

If I had the disposable income, I'd get another one to replace the Cambridge transport as a backup.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #485 on: 2 Dec 2019, 02:28 pm »
maestro,

The BCD-3 DAC uses the same chips (2) and input-output of the Bryston BDA-3.  In effect, a  BDA-3 with a single purpose.

The transport is excellent. It's metal throughout, rather than having plastic parts. The transport is from an Austrian manufacturer:  It's a StreamUnlimited JPL-2800.

If I had the disposable income, I'd get another one to replace the Cambridge transport as a backup.

:thumb:

gberger

• Check 6

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #487 on: 2 Dec 2019, 04:46 pm »
george (old fud),

thanks. Not surprised. I have yet to see a negative review of anything Bryston.
My BCD-1 is 7 yrs old. It will last till a Clinton becomes Prez.   :lol:

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #488 on: 2 Dec 2019, 04:53 pm »
Dig It.  :-)  :-)  :-)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #489 on: 4 Jan 2020, 03:02 pm »

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BCD-3 CD Player –Customer Feedback

January 2020

Hi Folks,

“Added the BCD-3 to my main system.

Has been playing/breaking in now for 12 hrs. This CDP is an exceptional no frills red book player. Incredible right out of the box and has started to become more analog-like as each disc is played. No digital glare whatsoever with the first CD played. (Brother Jefferson - Reflections. https://jeffchapmanmusic.com/)

This CDP will be the last I buy and I plan to be around for a while.

I have a BDA-3 on my Audio-dar and may very well be my next purchase. Thank you Ivan for your knowledge and suggestions on what route best fits my budget.”

Miner

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #490 on: 4 Jan 2020, 04:34 pm »
 IMHO there is STILL nothing like 44.1 done right. I will take a CD player done right like Bryston over any streamer. Play those shiny discs.

charles

gbaby

« Reply #491 on: 5 Jan 2020, 06:18 pm »
IMHO there is STILL nothing like 44.1 done right. I will take a CD player done right like Bryston over any streamer. Play those shiny discs.

charles

I agree with you, but you can still get 44.1 done right with a streamer called the BDP-3. :thumb:

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #492 on: 5 Jan 2020, 06:53 pm »
Does the BDP-3 support Idagio?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #493 on: 7 Jan 2020, 06:02 pm »
Hi James:

My Bryston BCD-3 CD player is an indispensable part of my stereo system. Having amassed thousands of CD over the past five decades a CD player with the capabilities of the Bryston unit is a godsent.  Not only does it bring out the best of older recordings, it shines in playing recent CDs.  If the surge in SACD and music Blue Ray discs is any indicator, laser discs are far from becoming history.  Streaming facilities do not hold reservoirs of rare and small label recordings that are only available on vinyl or CD.

Sincerely,

Rimas

ivanlyf

« Reply #494 on: 22 Jan 2020, 02:51 am »
I bought the BCD-3 CDP during my system refresh in 2019 to replace my BDA-2 as the source.

Wow - the difference is amazing. It's more detailed, the instruments in the orchestra are better separated, trebles are more extended than before. All this while still not sounding harsh.

When Bryston releases a BDA-4, can we have an accompanying BCD-4 please???

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #495 on: 22 Jan 2020, 07:44 pm »
Miner

Since adding the BCD-3 to my "analogue system" I have found myself being reintroduced to many CDs from the past that have not spun in years,

I now have approx. 90 hrs on the CDP and the unit is becoming more analogue to my ears.

One particular CD I have enjoyed immensely since adding the BCD-3 into my system has been Dave Brubek's "Time Out"

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #496 on: 22 Jan 2020, 07:59 pm »
Miner

Since adding the BCD-3 to my "analogue system" I have found myself being reintroduced to many CDs from the past that have not spun in years,

I now have approx. 90 hrs on the CDP and the unit is becoming more analogue to my ears.

One particular CD I have enjoyed immensely since adding the BCD-3 into my system has been Dave Brubek's "Time Out"

I could not agree more with a dedicated CDP or transport and DAC. The BCD-3 IS a one box solution to be strongly considered before streaming.

charles

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #497 on: 22 Jan 2020, 08:24 pm »
If they do make a BDA-4, but not the BCD-4, you can still take the digital from the BCD-3 to feed the BDA-4.
Not an ideal solution; however, the BCD-3 was engineered so that the digital signal could feed your choice of DAC.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #498 on: 15 Mar 2020, 01:00 pm »

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BCD-3 CD Player – Customer Feedback

March 2010

For any in the market for a Redbook player that will rival a sub- $5000 SACD player, let alone a CDP, do yourself a favor and put the Bryston BCD-3 on your A-list.

I have owned many brands of players, nothing over $8000, and this sheep in lambs clothing is a sleeper.

I am having a Come To JDandy (RIP) moment, but unfortunately I do not have Dan’s descriptive writing capabilities. I was wowed straight out of the box.

Then, Ivan’s experience with his numerous BDA-3’s caused me to wonder what else could be experienced with Bryston products. I had mainly purchased the DAC as a entry into their server world of music.

Using the BCD-3 CD Player with the BDA-3 DAC, with the assist of a Wireworld IC, turned the sheep into a lion.

What I noticed initially was the soundstage extend a bit side to side but was greatly increased front to back.

I cannot thank Ivan enough for suggesting the DAC and even convincing me to tap the CDP into it. I really enjoyed the improvement that was heard on Beth Hart/Joe Bonamassa’s ‘Seesaw’ CD. What a great collaboration between two fantastic artists.

Miner's

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #499 on: 15 Mar 2020, 02:04 pm »
^ good review. Especially the blued part about using the BCD as transport feeding BDA-3. I've used my BCD-1 feeding BDA for years, and it sounds better than direct to preamp. Better staging and improved imaging in my system.  :thumb: