EM7 - My First Impression

Jampot

Re: EM7 - My First Impression
« Reply #20 on: 15 Dec 2007, 06:11 pm »
 :roll:

I'm not sorry I asked - the DBX link is interesting, but am I not looking properly, where do the E7s fit?

Jim

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #21 on: 16 Dec 2007, 12:20 am »
The EM7s live after the dbx filter, in the MR and treble chunks.  The -5 drives the bass/MR chunks and the -2.5, the tweeters.  Here's a better pic of them.

PeaceableKingdom

« Reply #22 on: 16 Dec 2007, 08:00 pm »
Hello,

I've only been to this site a couple of times. Quite frankly, I had forgotten about it. However, I did come across it (and this thread) again when I was looking up some info. about Roger Modjeski's 6EM7 amp. Several months ago, one of the members of this forum sent me a message when he noticed that I owned one of these amps. He wanted to know what I thought about it. I decided to put a copy of my response here so that others would know what I thought about this terrific little amp.
It's long winded (sorry about that) but here it is:

I had Roger Modjeski custom build it for me with some significant changes over the "stock" version. Some of the changes I incorporated into the design include:

-a passive volume control was installed
-instead of composite wood boards for the top and bottom, I had the entire chassis built from Black Walnut
-removed the on/off switch......my power cord is now the on/off switch. (I leave the amp plugged in and on all the time!)
-I only use one input (cd), so I had Roger install 1 pair of inputs.....this combined with the passive volume control would make this an integrated amp rather than just an amplifier. If you decide to do this too, Roger can install additional inputs and a signal selector if you need it.
-Instead of using the original binding posts that come with the 6EM7, I had Roger install the same binding posts that were used on the original RM-9 amp. Back when this amp was available, many people complained about this binding post....they weren't beefy enough to hold onto their "garden hose" sized speaker cable....but, it was, and still is, one of the best sounding binding posts you can buy.

Stay away from the large gauge speaker wire with this amp. Those large cables will mask all of the delicate details that this amp can uncover!

-Finally, I had him use a small gauge power cord that is soldered into the circuit rather than the IEC removable power cord that he has started to use on the amp. Once again, the large power cord will do the same thing that over sized speaker wire and interconnects will do....kill the sound! However, he gets so many requests from people who don't know any better about the removable power cord, that he was forced to start installing this as a standard part of the design. Ask him about it....he'll tell you...

This is my first single-ended amp and it is a revelation! The back ground noise is dead silent! Even with the volume control turned all the way up, and my ear right against the speaker drivers, I can barely hear any back ground hiss!

It reveals subtle details in a very easy and relaxed manor....if I had to describe its sound in one word, that word would be "effortless". Some amps just sound as if they are hard at work....this amp barely lets you know its there.....

Give me two words to describe its sound and I'd choose "peaceful" as that second word...

To describe its character a little more, I would say it is like taking a casual evening walk just after sunset. Some amps are like a long jog in the park and others are like your running at full speed....they just tire you out. This amp is not like that at all!

If you were only concerned with a powerful or forceful sound, then this amp isn't for you....But then, I don't think you would be considering this amp in the first place.

I listen to all types of music, from rock to jazz to classical, etc. and I love this amp with everything I have played. I use an old two-way ported speaker design that was built in the early '90's by a company that no longer exists....Maston Audio. The speaker has an efficiency rating of 89 db. and I play it in a room that is approximately 20' x 16'. The walls and ceiling are plaster and the floor is carpeted. I would say the room leans more to a lively character than to a dead or "over absorbed" character. In this room, the amp plays more than loud enough for me....but I've never been the type that listens at very loud levels.

To give you a little back ground about myself, I used to own a High-End audio shop in the early '90's. I was a dealer for, and had plenty of exposure to brands like Convergent Audio Technology, Audible Illusions, Music Reference, Cary Audio, Symphonic Line, Wadia, Aragon and many others. I also had a lot of exposure to componets from Krell, Audio Research, Classe, etc.

While the 6EM7 doesn't have the power and heft that many of those products do, it can produce music in a way that those components will never be able to!

Oh, and the 6EM7, is rock solid. Mine has been on continuously for over 3 1/2 months with no problems (As of this writting, make that 6 1/2 months). It even went through a power failure during a severe storm and came back on without any complaints!

I intend to have Roger build another one for me this fall (Unfortunately, budget constraints have forced me to push this off to next spring.) with even more modifications....that's how much I like this amp!

I hope this helps!
Doug

P.S.
Here's a photo from Roger's website of the exact unit they built for me:

http://www.ramlabs-musicreference.com/SES_Gallery.html

It's the 23rd. picture from the top.

Well, that was my response 3 months ago. I've now racked up approximately 4,700 consecutive non-stop hours on that original pair of 6EM7 tubes and they are still going strong! My high opinion of this amp continues to grow and I can't wait to have Roger build a second one for me with some additional changes that I want to implement.

I've also used the amp to drive an old pair of Stax SR-5 electrostatic headphones with great results. Once again, even with the headphones, there is barely any audible hiss with the volume turned all the way up.

I hope this is helpful information for anyone who is considering purchasing one of these little gems!

Doug
« Last Edit: 6 Jan 2008, 08:04 pm by PeaceableKingdom »

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #23 on: 16 Dec 2007, 11:29 pm »
Doug, GREAT note; TYVM.  A suggestion on that next EM7 amp--ask Roger to install Cardas Golden Ratio coupling caps in it...MR is a Cardas dealer, I believe.

jman66

« Reply #24 on: 17 Dec 2007, 01:48 am »
Doug, great info, thanks!  :thumb:

I've had my 13EM7 for two weeks now, my 1st experience owning an SET. It's an original, bone stock EM7 driving Omega Maxhemps (96dB eff.). Zero noise, music just flows and the purity of the sound makes me smile. I would have never thought that 2.5 watts could do what these 2.5 watts do. Heck, I'm not even close to using 1 watt,  try well under ½ watt.

-jim

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #25 on: 17 Dec 2007, 07:53 am »
Doug,

Thanks for the post. Doug's link will take you to the almost infinite possibilities of the EM7 series. Here is the link to his specific amp.  http://www.ramlabs-musicreference.com/EM7_C4_RM245/IMG_0026.jpg

We enjoyed fulfilling your uncommon set of desires. It is quite refreshing to have someone thinking for himself rather than following the crowd down a road that often makes little sense.

Thanks to jman66 and jeffreybehr for sharing their experience of the EM7.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #26 on: 22 Dec 2007, 03:42 pm »
Hey Doug,

An amp just like yours sounds perfect for my bedroom system.  If I may ask, what did it cost after all the mods?

Roy Jennen

« Reply #27 on: 22 Dec 2007, 05:04 pm »
It's long winded (sorry about that) Doug

Hi Doug,
It's me! Your Dutch buddy!  aa

Thanks for your link!

For the other readers; Doug and I go back a few years.
We've met on another audio related forum and got a long quite well.

With some envy, I've been reading Doug's (and others') comments on high quality low power tube amps.
Doug has told me a story or two about true high end gear. But this little tube amp definitely blew his mind!

Something I probably will never be able to enjoy due to my love for Magnepan speakers. (I use a pair of MG12s)

But maybe this forum can teach me a thing or two about high quality and affordable tubes that could match with those hungry panels.

PeaceableKingdom

« Reply #28 on: 22 Dec 2007, 09:42 pm »
Hey Roy,

It's great havin' you here! It's been a long time since you and I talked audio. I miss it!

(I had a long post all typed out for you Roy, but just as I was ready to enter it, my computer crashed. I guess some things never change! :roll: :icon_lol:)

So...now you get this short version.....

You know how I feel about heavy, large, over-designed, power hungry equipment. Dump those Maggies and Electrocompaniet and get yourself a well-designed two-way and one of these 6EM7's. You'll love it and never regret it!

----------------

Ericus Rex,

I'm not sure, but I think the price on the 6EM7 has come down a little since I bought it. You really should talk to Roger about the cost for a unit built like mine. I'm sure he wouldn't mind talkin' dollars and cents with you. I think you'll be surprised how little this custom, hand built, American made amp will cost!

Roy Jennen

« Reply #29 on: 23 Dec 2007, 03:43 pm »
(I had a long post all typed out for you Roy, but just as I was ready to enter it, my computer crashed. I guess some things never change! :roll: :icon_lol:)

You know how I feel about heavy, large, over-designed, power hungry equipment. Dump those Maggies and Electrocompaniet and get yourself a well-designed two-way and one of these 6EM7's. You'll love it and never regret it!

I guess we can shake hands;
You lack the money to buy a decent computer, I lack the money to buy a decent audio set-up.
(for reasons we both know only too well)  :lol:

Maybe somebody can give me a hint what 2-way floorstander (I will not reconsider a standmount!) would come close or top the sound of Maggies.

I'd be very thankful for suggestions!
 :D

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 23 Dec 2007, 05:16 pm »
Roy, you could build a version of these.

If you build them with a point-source tweeter, they're quite affordable, as the B/MR drivers from Sonic Craft are only $10 each. 

A 6-driver pair could be built for only several-hundred dollars (plus bass drivers/system) depending on the quality of the tweeter you choose, and its sensitivity would be in the high-90s, plenty high enough for an EM7-5 or even an EM7-2.5 depending on how loudly you listen.  I use a 45Hz, 4th-order lo-pass filter for the pair of bass drivers, and without that, the 8-driver system has plenty of energy (and quality) into the midbass octave.

I've written lots about these; you might search for other posts by me, expecially in the Open-Baffle Circle.

PeaceableKingdom

« Reply #31 on: 23 Dec 2007, 07:40 pm »

I guess we can shake hands;
You lack the money to buy a decent computer, I lack the money to buy a decent audio set-up.
(for reasons we both know only too well)  :lol:

Maybe somebody can give me a hint what 2-way floorstander (I will not reconsider a standmount!) would come close or top the sound of Maggies.

I'd be very thankful for suggestions!
 :D

Hi Roy,

How 'bout a pair of Classic 60's! They're two-way, floor standing.....What more could you ask for!!!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

D

Roy Jennen

« Reply #32 on: 24 Dec 2007, 07:37 am »
Hi Roy,
How 'bout a pair of Classic 60's! They're two-way, floor standing.....What more could you ask for!!!  :lol: :lol: :lol:
D

Not funny!  :nono:
That heary Green has cost me more than enough, already!   :duh:
 :wink:

@ Jeffreybehr;

Your open speakers look quite impressive and I can only imagine how they perform.
However; my 13 x 18 foot room wouldn't be big enough to accommodate them.
Next; I prefer small things (gear and speakers). The flat panels or slim floorstanders have my preference.
But maybe you have a link to just such slim cabinet?  :D

gregdee

« Reply #33 on: 18 Oct 2009, 06:42 pm »
I too love the sounds of my EM7 amps.  After I built a pair of hi-sensitivity (97 - 100dB) speakers, I bought a pair of new ASL 845-based SET amps but never fell in love with their sounds...sort of sterile and NOT engaging.  Since my peak-reading power meter was indicating I was never driving more than about a Watt into the speakers, I bought an EM7-2.5.  Immediately I was pleased with the sounds.  While not sounding 'thick', the music had warmth and transparency that were engaging, and over the months the music still sounds great.  I've since bought another -2.5 and upgraded it to the 5WPC version, a fairly simple project.  I now run the -5 on the bass/midrange drivers and the -2.5 on the tweeters and am very pleased with the sounds from the system.

I've replaced the world's cheapest bindingposts Roger uses and will replace some internal parts, but overall I'm VERY pleased.

BTW the Herbie's tubedamping rings are totally unnecessary, that is their addition is inaudible to me, but I had them so I use them.  Same for the old VPI bricks.

Jefff

I  am looking for similar solution you have .Wanna bi amp with em7 on the bottom ,when A-08s (45 dht from yamamoto do a job on highs )

I am personally a fan of lower wattage amps ,as you have /had both ,I'd like to ask you is there any diff .in sonic character between them ,ot it's just a power handle ?

will be appreciate for any info given about :-)

cheers

greg