Ideas for the TAAS

zane9

Ideas for the TAAS
« on: 13 Dec 2006, 04:31 am »
Let me kick off the discussion that Spirit is hoping will get launched. I know that we all share ideas on TAAS, and we kicked a few around at the first gathering: listening sessions; guest speakers from various pieces of the industry puzzle; a trip to Montreal Festival Son et Image. Maybe we could organize the "TAAS First Annual Spring Cleaning" - - a 'swap meet' in April or May, a place where people bring gear for sale or trade. Kinda like what AudioKarma started a few years ago.

One thing I want to challenge us on is how to reach out to the younger generation who may have had their ears opened once or twice to what great audio reproduction sounds like, and might need some help from us older types. Can we grow the TAAS to include the 15-year-olds like Spirit once was? Maybe one day we'll have an "iPod Night" and we pack a meeting with young people and their iPods, and we get Bluebird Music to bring in some Fatman iTubes. It'll blow their minds.

Anyway, lots of ideas to have fun with. The possibilities are endless.

Spirit

• Facilitator
Re: Ideas for the TAAS
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2006, 04:36 am »
Very good idea!
It sounds similar to an article I read about Michael Fremer from Sterophilw who conducted a lecture at an American University to a group of students (mostly Ipodnicks) and floored them with his vinyl gear.  I can't remember whee I read that but what a great idea.

MKOM

• My Kind of Music by J & D Design
« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2006, 01:56 am »
Appealing to the younger generation and /or the ipod generation.....hummmmmm!   8)

As far as new products go..... We have been having loads of fun with this....   :dance:

Check this out:

The Fatman iTube is a tube amplifier and docking station designed specifically for iPod. The iTube allows iPod owners to enjoy true, full-range stereo music from their iPod.
Unlike the ‘boom-box’ design of typical docking station music players, the iTube is a real, audiophile-class stereo which delivers the highest level of fidelity of any iPod-specific system currently available.

Tube amplification makes sense for iPod; the richer, warmer, ‘more analog-like’ sound is the perfect complement for this source which can sometimes sound cold, flat and metallic. iTube gets the listener closer to the excitement and vitality of a live performance than ever before. http://www.fat-man.co.uk/docs/product/itube_1.htm

In summary, this unit is a 15 wpc, single ended, integrated amp with two inputs....one being the ipod docking station.....I have tried the amp along running the Lowther Tercels in our shop and at $799.00 CND... complete with docking station, this baby rocks.....Quite a stocking stuffer.....

Cheers,

MKOM   :xmas:

« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2006, 03:15 am by MKOM »

JBLman

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2007, 02:57 pm »
I have to give kudos to John at MKOM for offering affordable products to those who do not have the funds to indulge themselves with the higher end gear he offers. This has me thinking about something TAAS can promote a viable option to younger, entry level audiophiles or to those individuals who for what ever reason, cannot afford new, high end gear. That is promoting the sale of good quality used gear. I would rather see someone buy a 20 year old Bryston 4B, spend about $100 to replace the coupling caps and end up with a nice amp than buying a cheap unit from a big box joint only to have it go the the land fill site after the warranty expires.

Just touring around CAM, there is always some really great gear showing up for sale on a regular basis. The audio candy store on line. When I worked part time at an audio store I personally looked after sales of good quality used gear. I also used to refurbish older JBL speakers when the foam surrounds rotted out and also sold a few used Bryston (2B, 3B & 4B's) power amps along the way. Keeping this gear in circulation and enjoyed by someone else means less stuff going to the land fill site. I remember a gentleman who bought 2 Aragon 2004 power amps but needed a home for his 2 Bryston 2B's. I took them home to try out and one of my tenants in the rooming house I was operating at the time liked them and bought them on the spot. At one time I had 3 Bryston 4B's taken in for a trio of Aragon 4004's I would have kept them for myself but at that time no money in the bank account. Ended up selling all three for 3 other people to enjoy.

My point is we can all promote our hobby to those of lesser financial means by offering our used gear for sale so others can enjoy our hobby.

Thank you,

Bill (JBLman) :wink:
« Last Edit: 5 Mar 2007, 08:08 pm by JBLman »