Anyone here using hearing aids to listen to music?...music,not streaming

Speedskater

• Kevin
I saw three ENTs (2 years apart), the 3rd sent me to an "otolaryngologist" (a high end ENT). He did several tests and found the problem. But it requires serious surgery in both ears would only help some of the symptoms and might hurt my hearing, so he doesn't want to do it.

Huck

I saw three ENTs (2 years apart), the 3rd sent me to an "otolaryngologist" (a high end ENT). He did several tests and found the problem. But it requires serious surgery in both ears would only help some of the symptoms and might hurt my hearing, so he doesn't want to do it.

I originally went to see my regular doctor about a water sensation in my right ear and she found nothing,so she referred me to an ENT for which I had to wait one year to see and he found nothing also,so he put me on Cyprodex antibiotics thinking maybe I had water in the middle/inner ear...that's when my hearing all went..after about a week on the antibiotics.
Hopefully I don't need any surgery! Huck
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2022, 02:16 pm by Huck »

Craig B

My wife and I got hearing aids for the first time back in March. Even though music listening is one of my favorite activities, I decided not to opt for any that claim to take that kind of use into account, since I still get great enjoyment out of my system without the use of aids (see more about that in my recent two-part essay on hearing loss and hi-fi realism in PS Audio's online magazine Copper, issues 160 and 165 (https://www.psaudio.com/copper-magazine/)). So we just got the basic Phonak ones from Costco, and for what they are, and what we paid, they're fine. But I remove them when we go to the symphony, and when I listen to the stereo at home. Listening while they're in makes for some questionable high frequency oddities, and while I haven't tried traditional headphones with them, in-ear monitors are out of the question because that real estate is already occupied.

Huck

My wife and I got hearing aids for the first time back in March. Even though music listening is one of my favorite activities, I decided not to opt for any that claim to take that kind of use into account, since I still get great enjoyment out of my system without the use of aids (see more about that in my recent two-part essay on hearing loss and hi-fi realism in PS Audio's online magazine Copper, issues 160 and 165 (https://www.psaudio.com/copper-magazine/)). So we just got the basic Phonak ones from Costco, and for what they are, and what we paid, they're fine. But I remove them when we go to the symphony, and when I listen to the stereo at home. Listening while they're in makes for some questionable high frequency oddities, and while I haven't tried traditional headphones with them, in-ear monitors are out of the question because that real estate is already occupied.

So what happens to the missing frequencies when you listen to music at home,do you get some back just by turning the volume up?
 I would rather not listen to my speakers/subwoofer with HA's if I don't really need to and I also occasionally listen through over the ear headphones on my upstairs computer rig...can I still listen to HP's with HA's?
Also,are there different types(OTE,RIC,IE),etc that perform better for music than just for speech?Thanks,Huck
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2022, 03:34 pm by Huck »

Craig B

The missing frequencies aren't replaced by anything. In fact, no hearing aid that relies on your still-remaining physiology is capable of replacing frequencies that are completely lost, because you can no longer hear them no matter how much the device may boost them. That's one of the reasons all reputable manufacturers and sellers of aids will make the statement that their device does not restore natural hearing.

But that's one of the issues and mysteries I tried to explore in my essay - that many of the qualities of sound reproduction that make our systems sound "real" to us must necessarily lie outside the realm of simple high frequency extension, because many of us have lessened ability to hear those frequencies as we've aged, but we still find our systems satisfying, or even superior to our past systems. My setup now produces more lifelike sound than any other combination of components I've ever owned in the last 49 years. My conclusion is two-fold: high frequencies can't be the be-all and end-all of hi-fi "realism" that we had once thought; and as we age, our perceptions, and therefore our expectations, change. Each of us carries with us one and only one auditory standard - our current perception of the sound around us, as delivered to us right now by our ears and brains. As we age, we're incapable of holding our systems to a young ear's standard of perception because we no longer have that perception to compare it to. Yet I can still perceive realistic timbre and tone, and appreciate accurately reproduced transients, and all other performance characteristics that combine to create a realistic illusion of a performance taking place in front of me. And the degree of "realism" I hear from my system now is better than I've ever heard.

When I first got my hearing aids, I had hopes that the way they seemed to make high frequencies sound was just a matter of perception, and I'd adjust to it as "normal" like one adjusts to the distortions caused by a new pair of eyeglasses. It doesn't take long for the brain to adapt to that, and keep you from spilling your coffee when you reach for it. But it hasn't been like that with my hearing. It's true that the highs of day-to-day sounds have gotten a little more "natural" in general, but music remains stubbornly distorted at the high end of the frequency spectrum. Those instruments sound a bit harsh and wavering, like they're playing underwater. Solo piano is especially bad. And it's not even consistent - I almost wonder if there's some phase shifting taking place. For now, my solution is to simply not wear them when listening. Things might sound a bit dull when I first take them out, but within a few seconds that sensation is gone and the music sounds "right." And I can even avoid that initial period of adjustment by not putting the aids in at all at the start of the day. Sometimes on weekends I'll do that, just in case I can get a few minutes to listen during the day.

I can't say how well headphones would work with my aids because I just haven't tried them. As I said before, using in-ear monitors with the aids is out of the question because the ear canal is already occupied. Whether regular headphones would work would depend on first whether the aids' behind-ear microphone/circuitry housing would interfere with the seating or sealing of the earpiece, and second, whether the aids would distort the headphones' sound like they do my speaker. I should pull out my 'phones and give it a try sometime.

I don't want to suggest all is lost - I'm told there are audiologists who specialize in selecting and fitting aids to people who depend on their ears for a living. But I suspect the equipment and the service are not inexpensive. If I ever get to the point where I just can't enjoy my stereo (or concerts) without assistance, I may look for someone like that. But I don't need it now.

Huck

Thanks..Huck

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Had complaints, so the audiologist tweaked the programing.  The tweaks increased high frequency response slightly but it now sounds somewhat artificial with some hissing.  Initially even light wind caused a rattling, like playing cards that kids used to put in the spokes of their bicycles wheels.  The tweaks helped that somewhat.  But basically while the hearing aids did enhance high midrange frequencies they've offer no useful improvements.  My perspective of audio/TV is no different, other than turning down the TV volume (not the audio system).  My original complaints, hearing my wife (mostly her faults) and hearing conversations in crowds have not improved.  So they're going back for a full refund of my share of the cost ($2000).

Huck

Had complaints, so the audiologist tweaked the programing.  The tweaks increased high frequency response slightly but it now sounds somewhat artificial with some hissing.  Initially even light wind caused a rattling, like playing cards that kids used to put in the spokes of their bicycles wheels.  The tweaks helped that somewhat.  But basically while the hearing aids did enhance high midrange frequencies they've offer no useful improvements.  My perspective of audio/TV is no different, other than turning down the TV volume (not the audio system).  My original complaints, hearing my wife (mostly her faults) and hearing conversations in crowds have not improved.  So they're going back for a full refund of my share of the cost ($2000).
Yeh,after reading about HA's and music,not really looking forward to them.....some say yes,some say no.
I will need them regardless.Huck

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
Does anyone use selectable multiple profiles, one for listening to music, one for general conversation, and etc?

Mariusz Uszynski

Does anyone use selectable multiple profiles, one for listening to music, one for general conversation, and etc?

My Phonak Audeo P70-R (behind ear) has 4 modes; automatic, restaurant, music and tv.You can do all kinds of adjustments, create your own mode through Phonak app.Also, each mode has 4 "sub modes", I hope that makes sense?

Huck

My Phonak Audeo P70-R (behind ear) has 4 modes; automatic, restaurant, music and tv.You can do all kinds of adjustments, create your own mode through Phonak app.Also, each mode has 4 "sub modes", I hope that makes sense?

Is it OK to send you a P.M?...I have a few questions,plus I see you are in my area also.Thanks,Huck

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room

Yes, have one for general and supposedly one for music, but can't hear any difference between them even after audiologist tweaked the programming. 

Hearing aids ($4000/pair) have made no discernible improvements (higher midrange frequencies are accentuated but artificial sounding) and haven't addressed my complaints (hearing wifey and hearing conversations in a crowd).  So after 6 weeks they're going back for a refund.

Mariusz Uszynski

Is it OK to send you a P.M?...I have a few questions,plus I see you are in my area also.Thanks,Huck

Hi Huck, you can call me, if you like.Mariusz at 226-972-0633.

Mariusz Uszynski

Yes, have one for general and supposedly one for music, but can't hear any difference between them even after audiologist tweaked the programming. 

Hearing aids ($4000/pair) have made no discernible improvements (higher midrange frequencies are accentuated but artificial sounding) and haven't addressed my complaints (hearing wifey and hearing conversations in a crowd).  So after 6 weeks they're going back for a refund.

Hi JLM, just out of curiocity, which brand did you get?

Mariusz Uszynski

Guys, I remember having the simular discussion about hearing aid last year, and one of the members was using this studio equilizer "5500 Stereo/Dual Mono 550 EQs with Range Switch".He said, it makes the wonders with the sound, he did not like wearing hearing aid.In Canada, this component is listed for $3699.00 and store gives you one month to decide, whether you like it, or not?That is just another option to consider?

https://www.apiaudio.com/product.php?id=126

Huck

What will you do now as far as listening to music?
I think that most audiologists don't 'get it' when we say we 'listen to music' and when they say they 'listen to music'...that's too bad seriously.! Huck

Craig B

Same here.

Mariusz Uszynski

Same here.

You can tweak sound to your liking on the phone app.We all have smart phones, right????

Huck

Same here.

You can tweak sound to your liking on the phone app.We all have smart phones, right????

I don't,so that's one extra thing I will have to do my homework on.Can I use a laptop to adjust settings on the HA's,or is a phone better?
So,I am guessing that whatever brand HA's are picked,that they have to be compatible with whatever phone system I have/get?
Huck

Mariusz Uszynski

I don't,so that's one extra thing I will have to do my homework on.Can I use a laptop to adjust settings on the HA's,or is a phone better?
So,I am guessing that whatever brand HA's are picked,that they have to be compatible with whatever phone system I have/get?
Huck

Go into you App Store on your computer, do the lil' search for HA apps, but I think they only make HA compatible with smart phones.Your HA will still work without app, but you won't be able to do any adjustments yourself.