Anyone here using hearing aids to listen to music?...music,not streaming

Huck

Looks like I am a candidate for a pair of hearing aids,so was wondering if anyone here can help me somewhat in which kind (ITE,BTE,RIC,etc)also which is the best app for controlling HA's and also which brand or models are best suited for listening to music through speakers and headphones.,
Some people do wood carving,woodwork,paint,cars,boats,fishing,hunting or whatever hobby they like,I listen to music and it's my main hobby,so I don't plan on skimping on cheap no-name aids.
Does anyone know if there are any audiologists in Canada that specifically work with  music specific HA's as far as picking/programming hearing aids for music,but I guess I would need someone close to me,but I don't mind a little drive to find the 'proper' AO for my situation.Thanks,Huck :popcorn:
« Last Edit: 6 Aug 2022, 09:48 pm by Huck »

artur9

I just know mine aren't very good.

Do you need just a touch up (in-ear, probably) or heavy-duty aid (behind the ear).

I found this article helpful:
https://www.analogplanet.com/content/two-months-widex%E2%80%99s-moment-440-mric-r-d-hearing-aids-part-2

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Yes.  There are good hearing aid solutions, but most are looking for a cheaper way.  Buy from trained audiologist in a private practice and emphasize that musical accuracy is a high priority.  If they are willing to design two music programs, let you live with them both for a week, come back and do it again, after several (5-6) tweaks to the program, they can get something that lets you hear detail, space, trailing edge of notes, hall ambiance, etc.  If they simply say to use the manufacturers stock music program, walk away. 
Resound was the manufacturer that was my best option.  Widex was almost as good, but lacking notes below 80hz. 
My audiologist charged list price, but spent probably 10 hours with me.  I even had a factory rep come to my house to hear what I was hearing in my system (he was rather amazed). 

geowak

https://www.resound.com/en-us/hearing-aids/resound-hearing-aids/resound-one

I was in the military and I now have the Resound One as a retired soldier. I really like them, they have an app for my phone to adjust them and I can also use these as simple headphones while listening to my smartphone music. You can have the option of rechargeable batteries or replaceable. I never knew what I was missing in the high freq range from years in air defense artillery and field artillery and consequential hearing loss.

artur9

Oh, and keep them away from puppies.  My pup thought my hearing aid was a tasty treat so I'm down to just one of the pair ;-(

Huck

Thanks to all who replied to my post and I have a few more questions.
Is my audiogram available to me (I don't think so),something like when a eye glass prescription is given,I can basically go anywhere at get it filled,but I don't think it works this way with a hearing aid(s),but I could be wrong,someone correct me.

Maybe I don't particularly like the models my audiologist sells or or for whatever reason.

I have been listening to music seriously for over 55 years,so having my hearing go was quite a shock to me,probably like that for anyone into music.

I am having a bout with Sudden Hearing Loss whereby my hearing is basically gone in both ears and my ENT can't figure out why(no wax,no trauma,etc),I am on my 6th regimen of Prednisone,12 pills each day for 7 days,6 pills for the nex day,4 pills for one day,then 2 pills for the last day,then another hearing test on the July 21...today.day 6,I think my hearing is a touch better today,so hopefully it comes back,or at least what I have left comes back. Thanks everyone! Huck
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2022, 10:06 am by Huck »

Huck

I just know mine aren't very good.

Do you need just a touch up (in-ear, probably) or heavy-duty aid (behind the ear).

I found this article helpful:
https://www.analogplanet.com/content/two-months-widex%E2%80%99s-moment-440-mric-r-d-hearing-aids-part-2

I don't know what I need or what's even available yet..another hearing test on July 21,so I will see then what's up.Thanks,Huck

Huck

Yes.  There are good hearing aid solutions, but most are looking for a cheaper way.  Buy from trained audiologist in a private practice and emphasize that musical accuracy is a high priority.  If they are willing to design two music programs, let you live with them both for a week, come back and do it again, after several (5-6) tweaks to the program, they can get something that lets you hear detail, space, trailing edge of notes, hall ambiance, etc.  If they simply say to use the manufacturers stock music program, walk away. 
Resound was the manufacturer that was my best option.  Widex was almost as good, but lacking notes below 80hz. 
My audiologist charged list price, but spent probably 10 hours with me.  I even had a factory rep come to my house to hear what I was hearing in my system (he was rather amazed).

Yeah,I like nice tight bass that I get now on my stereo setup with my RCF 12 inch subwoofer...tight kick drum 'thud'...think of the opening on the Aldo Nova'"Fantacy" track.Will I still get that tight low end with HA's?.ThanksHuck

S Clark

I get good bass response with my Resound aids.  In my case, I have severe loss above 4000Hz, recoverable with hearing aids up to almost 6000.  My low hearing is reduced, but recoverable with aids. 
I liked what Widex could do with tonality, but spaciousness and bass was better with Resound.
Your ears and loss will be different.  Just don't expect to go to a Costco and get high end service. 

Huck

I get good bass response with my Resound aids.  In my case, I have severe loss above 4000Hz, recoverable with hearing aids up to almost 6000.  My low hearing is reduced, but recoverable with aids. 
I liked what Widex could do with tonality, but spaciousness and bass was better with Resound.
Your ears and loss will be different.  Just don't expect to go to a Costco and get high end service.

Thanks and I notice you are in the U.S.. I have heard some good things about Widex just doin' some surfing around I did but not sure if they are available here in Canada?.Thanks,Huck

**EDIT* I found a place that carries Widex in Canada,but 80 mlies away. I guess I would need an audiologist close to me for future visits till I get everything set up properly.
Couple other questions,do the BTE type have actual plugs that go in the ear,like the RIC  type? I need to do some homework!
I also listen to headphones on my upstairs computer rig... do HA's any problem using headphones?Thanks,Huck
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2022, 02:10 pm by Huck »

Mariusz Uszynski

Close to 3 years ago, I purchased Phonak hearing aid (in ear) from Costco.I spent a lot of time and effort, trying to make them sound right, but Costco hearing was poor quality, sound wise.About 2 months ago, I went to Clarity Hearing in Waterloo, young audiologist there, suggested Phonak Audeo P-70-R (behind ear).They sound really good for music, but...I really like in ear hearing aid, one piece, no cables and I wear glasses too.

Huck

Close to 3 years ago, I purchased Phonak hearing aid (in ear) from Costco.I spent a lot of time and effort, trying to make them sound right, but Costco hearing was poor quality, sound wise.About 2 months ago, I went to Clarity Hearing in Waterloo, young audiologist there, suggested Phonak Audeo P-70-R (behind ear).They sound really good for music, but...I really like in ear hearing aid, one piece, no cables and I wear glasses too.
I listen to speakers (downstairs in listening room) more than headphones(upstairs for computer listening),but sometimes equally,so would one type be better for one or the other,or can I get by with just one type(BTE,RIC,ITE)for both scenarios? Thanks,Huck

Speedskater

• Kevin
Good audiologists are hard to find. They don't talk the same audio language that we do.  They often do Acoustic reflex threshold/Tympanometry tests and then a quick & dirty frequency response/level test.

Huck

Good audiologists are hard to find. They don't talk the same audio language that we do.  They often do Acoustic reflex threshold/Tympanometry tests and then a quick & dirty frequency response/level test.
Yeah..I think I may have trouble finding a good AO that talks,like you say the "same talk that we do".Thanks,Huck
« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2022, 04:56 pm by Huck »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Wifey talked me into trying hearing aids, worried about hearing induced dementia.  My complaints were hearing her (mostly her fault) and hearing conversations in a crowd.  Went to a "good" audiologist, but they focused entirely on conversational use and only tested to 8,000 Hz, dismissing the rest and my stated audiophile interests.  Hearing aids do help upper midrange (fun) but offer no useful benefits other than turning down the TV (but not the audio system).  They don't help me hear wifey or in crowds.  So they're going back next week for a $2000 refund (insurance paid for half).

S Clark

I also listen to headphones on my upstairs computer rig... do HA's any problem using headphones?Thanks,Huck
They certainly can have issues with headphones.  Some (most?) hearing aids will get into an acoustic feedback loop and squeal if something is too close to them.   My Resound aids are not as sensitive.  My older model Widex were terrible about it.  Newer models are better. 

Speedskater

• Kevin
The new high-tech (expensive) hearing aids are doing all sorts of neat tricks.

"Let’s Hear It For Split Processing!" hearing aids
https://www.eetimes.com/lets-hear-it-for-split-processing/

Huck

The new high-tech (expensive) hearing aids are doing all sorts of neat tricks.

"Let’s Hear It For Split Processing!" hearing aids
https://www.eetimes.com/lets-hear-it-for-split-processing/

Interesting..Thanks for posting that. Huck

djpk

This is a timely thread for me as I recently lost hearing in my left ear and have some impairment in my right ear. The physicians I am working with believe my hearing loss is related to a viral attack that targets the ear anatomy. They have me on Predisone now hoping that it may have some positive influence on my illness. Sometimes good health is not appreciated until you don't have it.

Huck

This is a timely thread for me as I recently lost hearing in my left ear and have some impairment in my right ear. The physicians I am working with believe my hearing loss is related to a viral attack that targets the ear anatomy. They have me on Predisone now hoping that it may have some positive influence on my illness. Sometimes good health is not appreciated until you don't have it.

I am also on Prednisone,nice bitter pill!.I have to take 'em real fast and can't let them dissolve,chaser of milk after helps...gotta be the worst tasting pills I have ever had!
I am on my 7th day of 12 pills per day,tomorrow 6 pills,then 4,then 2. Then another hearing test.
My hearing came back a little yesterday,but was gone all day today.
My ENT can't figure out why,so he put on Predisone thinking possibly I have liquid/water in the middle /inner ear.
I had some liquid perception in my right ear,I noticed today.
Hope you get yours fixed also!Huck
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2022, 10:07 am by Huck »