What is your favorite vintage tube gear?

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
What is your favorite vintage tube gear?
« on: 21 May 2009, 10:44 am »
I have a pair of enormous Baldwin organ 6L6 monoblocks that are my favorite vintage amplifiers. The amps weigh about 45lbs each and contain 4 6L6's to produce around 40 watts. I will take a photo of them sometime. They are ugly but who cares?

My other favorites include the Fisher 500C, an old Wollensack mono reel to reel and an old Stromberg Carlson Dual Mono PA amp.

JakeJ

Re: What is your favorite vintage tube gear?
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2009, 07:00 am »
Hi Blair,

Here is a link to my post in the vintage circle.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=59265.0

This is the cream of the crop.  I used to have a much larger pile but eliminated all the dreck several years ago.

JakeJ

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2009, 10:05 am »
Nice stuff! A 1950's audio store must have been pure eye candy.

Freo-1

« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2009, 01:21 pm »
Hi Blair,

Mine is the Fisher  KX-200.  It's a great sounding little unit, pretty straightforward design, easy to maintain (thanks to the built in bias/balance meter).

Once you re-cap and change out the key resistors, this little guy will push most speakers sufficiently for everyday use.  I've heard FAR more expensive units that did not sound as good as the Fisher.  I used to think tube rectification was the way to go, but the Fisher has made me re-think this.  The bass from the Fisher is full and pretty tight for a tube unit, and match that with the magic mid range and HF, the unit is a winner.

For a tube integrated, it's also DEAD quiet. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2009, 04:07 pm »
I still listen extensively to my pair of Knight KB-85's. Massive potted iron, Sonicap upgrades. Deeper base than most vintage stuff and sweet mids, zero hum.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2009, 01:01 pm »
Fisher, Knight, Scott... Can't go wrong.  :D

Another one of my Favorites is Allen.

Some of them you CAN go wrong with: Marantz vintage tube equipment is horrifically bloated as is McIntosh. When something takes on a price based on collector's demand and NOT anything else, then it's time to look for something of better value. Heathkit made some good stuff that sells for reasonable prices, for example.

JakeJ

« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2009, 03:31 pm »
Fisher, Knight, Scott... Can't go wrong.  :D

Another one of my Favorites is Allen.

Some of them you CAN go wrong with: Marantz vintage tube equipment is horrifically bloated as is McIntosh. When something takes on a price based on collector's demand and NOT anything else, then it's time to look for something of better value. Heathkit made some good stuff that sells for reasonable prices, for example.

Hi Blair,

Thanks for answering a question that has been rolling around in my noggin since I got into vintage audio.  Never could afford the highly touted Marantz and McIntosh stuff but there was always that nagging curiosity.

I will say that my experience with '70s solid-state stuff from Japan has always led me to a preference for the gear from Sansui over just about all others.  Pioneer a distant second except Kenwood tuners and tuners only.  Never cared for the Japanese Marantz stuff.

Cheers,
JakeJ

hdspeakerman

« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2009, 05:11 pm »
Heathkit SA2
Grommes LJ5 monoblocks
Custom Dynaco pre amp by Dave Thomas
Audio Research SP3 - gray face
N0S VALVES Fisher 400

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2009, 08:22 pm »
Anything Western Electric...

Are we limited to just audio, though? :D Someday I'd really like to get an old Collins tubed transmitter and put it on the air, on the 160m amateur band maybe...

Beastly.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2009, 12:49 am »
Of course we're not limited to just audio.  aa

I owned several Amateur amplifiers in the past:

Ameritron Al-811, Al-80B, Yaesu FL-2100B and a QRO HF-2000

My two favorites were the AL-811 & AL-80B. I always wanted to put 572B's in the 811 just because they were more durable. The #-500ZG in the 80B was an awesome tube!  The key to making this a great amp is to eliminate the Instantaneous Biasing circuit. It was easy to do.

I always wanted to get into some of Henry's classic amps.  :drool:

KimKman

« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2009, 01:59 am »

Nice Jake! Thanks for sharing. You build the Heathkit or any others? Used to build Heath Ham Radio stuff and thinking about an amp kit :)

JakeJ

« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2009, 02:00 am »
Quoted from my welcome post:

This Circle is for those who love tubes, their soft glow, and their wonderful sound.  Please feel free to spout off about your tube-based gear and system.  Show us the new (and old) tube gear you own or just bought.  Got a Nixie tube clock?  Tell us where you got it (or how you made it) and how much it costs, someone else may want one too.  If it's electronic and got a bottle in it we want to know and see!

End quote (bold added by me).

Absolutely all vacuum tube based anything is allowed in this and any other thread!  Well, within reason of the topic discussed, I suppose.  But in this thread I think Blair was quite clear that it's no holds barred.  I would love to start up a small low power FM broadcast station that plays my favorite music, of course.  Don't know the first thing about it though, but it sure seems like it would be fun.  Might be a good activity for retirement.

Keep the tube goodies comin'!

JakeJ

JakeJ

« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2009, 02:08 am »

Nice Jake! Thanks for sharing. You build the Heathkit or any others? Used to build Heath Ham Radio stuff and thinking about an amp kit :)

No, I acquired all the stuff in those pictures in the early days of eBay when prices were good and I had more disposable income.

The first kit I built was a Southwest Technical Product amp and preamp.  In hindsight I should have bought Dynaco.  The last kit I built was a Hagerman Piccolo and I want to build a Coronet next.

Thanks for checking in Kim and welcome to AC!

JakeJ

KimKman

« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2009, 02:14 am »
Are we limited to just audio, though?

Wow, that is awesome. Remembering some of the old Henry Amps I used to have around. Just like Cars, Audio and Ham Radio it is nice to recall some of the equipment owned and loved. I am in fact doing some planning at my current local to setup a 160m station again after a long hiatus to raise a family etc. Love the tube stuff though so should be a good time.

jkelly

« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2009, 02:23 am »
Now we are talking real power!

Jeff (top)
KT2K

stone deaf

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jun 2009, 02:42 am »
Marantz 7C, 8B & 10B tuner were my favorites.

Thebiker

« Reply #16 on: 27 Jun 2009, 07:11 pm »
Scott 222C integrated.  Sounds great and a full rebuild to like new status is not unreasonable for great enjoyment.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #17 on: 28 Jun 2009, 09:14 pm »
Some of my other favorites:

Sansui 1000 & 1000A + another model that has potted transformers & SW bands- uses El84 tubes. I can't remember the model.

Sansui Notes: The coupling caps are junk and always need replacing on vintage units. The 1000 & 1000a are hybrids & have a solid state preamp section. The 1000 uses sweep tube outputs- 25E5/PL36's !

Scott 340B, LK72: Awesome trannies.

smbrown

« Reply #18 on: 9 Jul 2009, 05:43 pm »
Scott 222C
Bell 6060
Dynaco (modified) PAS 3X
Dynaco FM3

mlgill

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 15 Jul 2009, 05:52 am »
I would like to challenge Niteshade to a dual out on 6L6 amp running 26 watt .