New guy saying hi and question about tube amps

parabellum

New guy saying hi and question about tube amps
« on: 20 Apr 2007, 12:57 am »
Hello all,

I am a  noob in the audio world. Recently i got it into my head that I want to build me a tube amplifier and speakers to go with it and have been doing research ever since. I am trying to learn pros and cons of different setups and then to find a good tried schematics and designs for the speakers so I can get to work. So I would love to talk to someone who has done this about it.

I notice there is a club in the San Francisco and that there are  meetings every two months. I will try to stop by the next one.

Berndt

Re: New guy saying hi and question about tube amps
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2007, 01:18 pm »
welcome parabellum, thanks for checking in.
please also introduce yourself in the new member section as well.
I am sure we will get you pointed in the right direction.
Regards, Bill Berndt

Mortsnets

« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2007, 11:18 pm »
If I had any DIY skills (which I don't) I would refurb a vintage tube amp like a Scott or Eico.
Also check out Doc Bottlehead kits at http://www.bottlehead.com/.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2007, 11:34 pm »
I second the Bottlehead recommendation.

The S.E.X kit is a perfect place to start, and you'll end up with a cool little amp after you're done :)

parabellum

« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2007, 03:41 am »
Thanks. I'll go and introduce myself in the new member section.

I am actually thinking about building a modified  Dynaco st70 from scratch. I know they sell driver boards for it, but thats no fun. I wanna build it myself. I think I'll make a separate post about this to get opinions.

Berndt

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2007, 04:19 am »

I am actually thinking about building a modified  Dynaco st70 from scratch. I know they sell driver boards for it, but thats no fun. I wanna build it myself. I think I'll make a separate post about this to get opinions.

Welcome again
Dynaco 70 opinions abound.
Where are you in the bay area?
What is your set up and preferences now?
Regards Bill

parabellum

« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2007, 04:19 pm »

Welcome again
Regards Bill

I am in Walnut Creek but work in the SF. Right now I don't have anything set up since I never wanted to get anything halfassed and didn't have the money for the higher end stuff. I haven't had enough exposure to form any preferences yet either. 

wiredbecker

« Reply #7 on: 4 May 2007, 07:50 pm »
Hey ParaB,

You're practically my neighbor. I live in Montclair Village (near the 24/13 split) and work in SF. You're totally welcome to come over and check out my various tube projects and functional amps. I'll check in with you over at diytube...

Wiredbecker aka Chris

Welcome again
Regards Bill

I am in Walnut Creek but work in the SF. Right now I don't have anything set up since I never wanted to get anything halfassed and didn't have the money for the higher end stuff. I haven't had enough exposure to form any preferences yet either. 

parabellum

« Reply #8 on: 4 May 2007, 09:33 pm »
Hey Chris,

That would be great. I'm about 10 minutes away from you. I live near the Geary/Treat exit on the 680.

Small world  :thumb:

I'll shoot you a PM over on diytube.

Hey ParaB,

You're practically my neighbor. I live in Montclair Village (near the 24/13 split) and work in SF. You're totally welcome to come over and check out my various tube projects and functional amps. I'll check in with you over at diytube...

Wiredbecker aka Chris

Welcome again
Regards Bill