thinking about going tubeless for a Giant Defy Advanced SL1

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
I am thinking about going tubeless with my 2013 Giant Defy Advanced SL1 road bike and I was wondering if anybody here has gone tubeless?

If so, what bike and wheel set?

What did you like and dislike about going tubeless?

Thanks in advance,

George

LadyDog

Re: thinking about going tubeless for a Giant Defy Advanced SL1
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2016, 02:47 am »
Hi George,
Hope all is well.  Glad to see you're still riding.  As you may recall, I'm a tubular guy.  Tubeless offers some of the same benefits as far as ride quality.  You'll maybe not get the benefits of weight savings, though some pluses in the flat department compared to normal clinchers.

I'll try to drop you a line so we can chat about.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2016, 02:53 am »
Hi George,
Hope all is well.  Glad to see you're still riding.  As you may recall, I'm a tubular guy.  Tubeless offers some of the same benefits as far as ride quality.  You'll maybe not get the benefits of weight savings, though some pluses in the flat department compared to normal clinchers.

I'll try to drop you a line so we can chat about.

Looking forward to it Jeff.

George

RPM123

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2016, 05:12 am »
I was using a set of Campy Shamal Ultra 2-Way Fit Tubeless wheels for several years and overall I liked going tubeless. Upside - you can run lower tire pressure which makes for a more comfortable ride and you never have to worry about pinch flats because there are no tubes to  puncture. Downside - some tires are a royal PITA to mount since they need to fit tight on the rim. There are some "tricks" online that show easier ways to mount them. Also, you will need to pump up your tires more frequently, as air escapes more easily.  I only had one flat * over 3 years using tubeless. I would recommend adding a tire sealant to tubeless for additional flat protection. There are a number of tubeless tires available and I like Specialized and Hutchinson. *DO NOT get Schwalbe tubeless... nothing but problems (including a flat), in my experience. Also, having 2-ways rims make it easier to go tubeless.

With that said, I recently purchased an ENVE  SES 3.4  composite ( non-tubeless) wheel set and overall they "rock"! They are now my everyday wheels. Hope this helps.

Glenn

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2016, 11:14 am »
Glenn,

Thanks for the post.

Those are some serious wheels!

George

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2016, 11:18 am »
I had riding MTB bike in the city only so not eager to try tubeless.

pslate

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2016, 01:40 pm »
I have a tubless compatible wheel set, but have never been able to go there. I worry about fixing a flat if something should go awry. I do ride in really demanding conditions year round in Chicago though. Any thoughts on tubeless reliability for people in places like NYC, Boston, and Chicago or similar? I ended up pulling the trigger on these and love them. Even the wheelbuilder in my shop was impressed http://www.huntbikewheels.com/products/mason-x-hunt-four-season-disc-brake-road-bike-wheelset-tubeless-ready

RPM123

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2016, 05:46 pm »
I have no experience riding in those cities. Even when I ran tubeless, I always carried a spare tube, just in case. A patch kit might help as well. You should also add a sealant to tubeless tires, since it can prevent flats with punctures up to a 1/4". If you do get a puncture that needs repair and the sealant is still fluid...things can get messy.