advice on coffee makers

PhishPhan

advice on coffee makers
« on: 19 Jan 2009, 04:06 pm »
Novice coffee drinker here. I'm thinking about purchasing a simple maker to brew a cup or two in the morning. Looking for something simple and easy to clean which requires no electricity. There seems to be a million different contraptions out there that all claim to make the best cup o joe. Thoughts? I live alone and only drink 1-2 cups in the morning, so I don't need anything too big.

bunnyma357

Re: advice on coffee makers
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2009, 04:16 pm »
I know it is more than what you're looking for - being a contraption that requires electricity, but I really love my Kuerig B-60 single cup coffee maker. Also makes a very nice cup of tea. It really has been one of my better purchases, having gone through several grinders, drip coffee makers and home espresso machines.

http://www.shoffee.com/detail.asp?id=4KB60

If you want less complicated, but a little more effort you might want to look into a french press:

http://www.bodumusa.com/shop/group_lines.asp?MD=1&GID=3

Jim C

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2009, 04:24 pm »
Bialetti stainless steel stovetop espresso maker.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2009, 05:13 pm »
A french press is good.  I have two of them and used them for years.  I switched to an Aeropress about a year ago and it make a much better cup of coffee and is a lot easier to cleanup. 

The fact that it is only $25 on Amazon is a bonus.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2009, 05:15 pm »
Aerobie® AeroPress™ Coffee & Espresso Maker
http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress.htm
You'll need some sort of grinder for best results. Even a whirly is ok. It doesnt get any easier, or cheaper, than this for a quality cup of joe. Google for oodles of reviews and places to buy.

HA HA beat me to it!

dwk

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2009, 05:16 pm »
Good grief. Between the time I hit reply and type a sentance, two other posts trump me. bah!

Aeropress. You do need a decent grinder for it, but otherwise scores high: simple, easy to clean, and very good coffee.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2009, 05:27 pm »
A french press is good.  I have two of them and used them for years.  I switched to an Aeropress about a year ago and it make a much better cup of coffee and is a lot easier to cleanup. 

So with one of these you 1st boil the water before using this press and it's only good for 1 cup at a time, right? I presently have a simple 2 cup Braun but I've read the single worse thing you can do to ruin a good cup of coffee is to let it sit on a hot plate after it's been brewed, which is a necessity with multiple cup brewers.

Cheers,
Robin

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2009, 06:10 pm »
safrat,
That's right, on all counts.

boead

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2009, 06:15 pm »

I got a Kuerig as a gift recently. I didn’t keep it because I’ve tried it a couple of times and didn’t like the brew or maybe it was just the coffee or strength of. I like my coffee strong. A friend struggled with one for some time until he came across a specific coffee type that he liked enough to keep it. Its was more for connivance sake. I’ve also read that the little cup you can get that lets you use your own coffee sort of sucks and makes a mess so you are again stuck with buying brands and coffee types in those little disposable cups. Not only is it more expensive then it should be but it’s not particularly green.

Anyhow, in the last two weeks I bought and returned a few coffee makers. I was trying real hard to find a combo unit (coffee/espresso). None (including the $400 Krups) were all that good and the trouble (time and mess) making an espresso shot for my coffee was just not worth it. I’m not into drinking tiny 1.5oz cups of espresso alone.

I settled on the Cuisinart DCC-1200 (12 cup maker) and found my old French Press hard to beat for making a great cup of Java. I can make one or two cups easily enough.
I use a Cuisinart DBM-8 grinder and buy coffee from JRcigars.com (https://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=coffee_menu) I like the Havana blend, Honduras and Sumatra. In a pinch, I’ll buy Starbucks and other gourmet brands from the supermarket.

That AeroPress looks interesting. Easier to clean then a French press? I don’t see that. Is it made by Ronco?

http://www.starbucks.com/retail/coffeepresses.asp

mcullinan

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2009, 06:37 pm »
Mike F mentioned the Newco 8 cup brewer a lil while back, and it has great reviews and a 200 degree brewing temperature. Its always sold out too, that is a good sign. My next purchase!
Mike

anodyne

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan 2009, 06:50 pm »
I'll jump on the band wagon with the aeropress recommendation.  It makes a nice smooth cup of coffee.  For non-electric you may also want to check out a Chemex.

http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/

Edit:  Here's a great source for reviews from serious coffee lovers...

http://coffeegeek.com/

geezer

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2009, 07:16 pm »
Novice coffee drinker here. I'm thinking about purchasing a simple maker to brew a cup or two in the morning. Looking for something simple and easy to clean which requires no electricity. There seems to be a million different contraptions out there that all claim to make the best cup o joe. Thoughts? I live alone and only drink 1-2 cups in the morning, so I don't need anything too big.

If you want "simple" and easy to keep clean, consider the system I've used for years. In my supermarket I found a plastic device shaped like a conical cup which you place on top of your coffee cup; then place a paper filter into the cone; then place two to four tabelspoons (depending on how strong you like your coffee) of coffee into the filter. In the meantime you have some water boiling in a teakettle on the range. Pour the boiling water into the cone. The coffee will then trickle through a small hole at the bottom of the cone into your cup. In a couple of minutes your coffee will be ready. Throw the filter, with its load of damp coffee grounds into the trash, rinse the plastic cone under the tap for five seconds, then drink your coffee.

This is the easiest, quickest, and most convenient way to make a single cup of coffee I've ever found.

Regarding systems like the french press: I've read that, because they don't filter the coffee, you get unhealthy compounds in your coffee. (Sorry, I don't have a link, but you probably find something about that on the web somewhere.)

Watson

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jan 2009, 07:19 pm »
Another vote for the AeroPress. Every serious coffee enthusiast should have one, and it's not expensive at all.

geezer

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2009, 07:20 pm »
Oh yes, I forgot to note: You'll find the paper filters in the same supermarket where you buy the plastic cone. The whole thing costs almost nothing.

Geez

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 19 Jan 2009, 08:20 pm »

So Tyson, what do you think about geezer's comments on poor filtering on french presses, specifically the AeroPress?  I use a gold filter in my Brauns and have absolutely no grit but I don't need more than 1 cup at a time and have been wondering about these french presses for awhile now. I'm not a fan of paper filters as I've always been able to taste the difference between paper filters and a gold filter. But for $25, I may have to find this out for myself. Thanks. :D

Cheers,
Robin

boead

« Reply #15 on: 19 Jan 2009, 08:20 pm »
Regarding systems like the french press: I've read that, because they don't filter the coffee, you get unhealthy compounds in your coffee. (Sorry, I don't have a link, but you probably find something about that on the web somewhere.)

Inkling Magazine, December 2006
After water, coffee is the most widely consumed beverage in the world. Americans drink around 400 million cups every day, importing 2.7 million pounds of beans each year. Coffee is also the single largest source of antioxidants found in the typical US diet and a whole glut of studies have indicated positive medical impacts. But is coffee really a health tonic? Or just a blackened cup of morning drugs? Let’s break it down:

The Good
• Consistent coffee drinking may protect against Parkinson’s disease, though the protective effects are largely lost in women taking hormone replacement therapies.
• Coffee consumption seems to protect and fight against the development of Alzheimer’s disease; human studies have found that Alzheimer’s patients drank significantly less coffee than unafflicted people in the 20 years prior to diagnosis; a recent mouse study showed that caffeine equivalent to 5 cups of coffee per day reduced the build up of destructive beta-amyloid plaques in the brain.
• Long term coffee drinking may lower the risk of developing type-2 or adult onset diabetes.
• Coffee can protect against liver cirrhosis. One study of more than 100,000 Americans found that people who drank 4 or more cups per day cut their risk of cirrhosis by 80%. Especially good news for fans of Irish coffees.
• Coffee is an age-old asthma medication; caffeine is related to theophylline, a compound that helps relax and expand asthmatic lungs. In a 2001 meta-analysis, a UK team of doctors concluded that coffee was a weak, but helpful asthma treatment that could last up to four hours.
• Coffee lowers the risk of developing kidney stones, because it makes you pee out more calcium, instead of letting it pile up in your kidneys.
• Caffeine increases alertness and mental performance by blocking adenosine, one biomolecule responsible for creating that feeling of drowsiness.

The Bad
• It takes at least 30 minutes for the body to absorb caffeine, so there is no instant alertness effect.
• Caffeine is addictive, and comes with regular drug addiction problems, including withdrawal symptoms. Anyone for a coffee headache?
• Coffee contains two cholesterol-raising compounds cafestol and kahweol, though these can be nearly eliminated by using filters (and some evidence suggests they may even be anti-cancer agents themselves).
• Coffee consumption can exacerbate heartburn.
• Caffeine can increase the risk of heart attack, especially among those people who carry the “slow” gene variant for the enzyme that metabolizes caffeine.
• A coffee beverage can cost more than $5 at certain successful franchises.

Most of the mal-effects of coffee only begin to kick in at the heavy-drinker levels. Two cups a day or so seems to be safe enough and should still bestow the benefits.

From Science News, 30 November 1996
Many coffee aficionados eschew the filtered brew, arguing that filters remove some of a bean’s savory flavor. What filtering really does — besides screening out gritty grounds — is eliminate coffee’s oils, rich in alcohols known as diterpenes. Two of these alcohols, cafestol and kahweol, can elicit a number of unhealthy changes in the blood of regular coffee drinkers.

The newest diterpene effect to be identified — an increase in blood levels of an enzyme that is normally associated with damage to liver cells — emerged in a 6-month long Dutch trial with healthy, coffee-loving volunteers.

Rob Urgert and his colleagues at Wageningen Agricultural University in the Netherlands recruited 46 men and women to participate in the experiment. All of the volunteers received a locally popular blend of coffee and strict instructions on how to brew two batches of it each day.

Urgert’s group directed half the men and women to pour boiling water through 33 grams of ground beans sitting in a cone-shaped filter until the dripping brew filled a half-liter jar.

The remaining volunteers were told to pour their boiling water and ground beans together into a French press — also known as cafetière — coffee maker. The top of this type of pot is fitted with a large plunger. The volunteers were told to stir the mix and then to let the grounds steep for 2 to 5 minutes before they pushed the plunger down. (This effectively stops the brewing and traps any floating grounds so that they won’t enter the cup.) The coffee was then decanted into another bottle.

The participants, all healthy and between the ages 19 and 69, were told to drink almost a liter of the coffee daily for 24 weeks. Every 2 to 4 weeks, the scientists brought the volunteers in for blood tests that measured concentrations of cholesterol, triglycerides, and a host of liver enzymes.

A report of the study, published in today’s British Medical Journal, shows that men and women who drank the filtered coffee exhibited no changes over the course of the trial in any of the assayed blood constituents. Previous studies by Urgert’s group had shown that such a filter effectively removes all of the coffee-oil’s diterpenes. Those who drank coffee made by the French press method, however, displayed a host of undesirable changes.

For instance, levels of one liver enzyme (alanine aminotransferase) nearly doubled early in the trial. This enzyme serves as a marker of potential stress to the liver, Urgert explains. “If there is some change in liver cell integrity, the concentration of these enzymes in the blood can rise.”

Fortunately, he notes, the enzyme rise among cafetière coffee drinkers was far less than that in persons with liver disease. Moreover, his data indicate, the rise in these enzymes is transient. Levels were already falling by the end of 24 weeks and continued to fall further during the 12 weeks after the trial ended.

However, Urgert told Science News Online, the enzyme findings remain interesting because “until now there have been very few foods identified as having such an effect on liver cells.”

The Dutch nutrition scientists also observed a sharp, transitory 26 percent rise in serum triglyceride levels among the men and women drinking French-pressed coffee. Like the liver-enzyme changes, however, the triglycerides fell as the study progressed. By the end of 24 weeks, their concentrations had already returned to levels recorded before the start of the study.

Of far greater concern, Urgert believes, were increases of between 9 and 14 percent in the concentrations of low-density-lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol — the so-called bad cholesterol — in volunteers drinking the pressed brew. An increase this large in LDLs, a risk factor for heart disease, might over a lifetime elevate an individual’s chance of developing coronary disease by up to 20 percent, he notes. Also observed in several shorter studies by this group, this potent elevation in LDL concentrations shows no sign of attenuating with time.

“These [diterpenes] are amazingly predictable,” Urgert observes. “If you knew much you gave to Dutch volunteers, you could almost exactly predict their change in LDL cholesterol.”

This link to persistent LDL increases “should also apply to Turkish coffee, which contains similar amounts of cafestol and kahweol per cup,” the researchers point out. Significant LDL increases might also accompany heavy consumption of Italian espresso, they add. However, owing to the small size of espresso cups, one would have to drink some 25 cups per day.

The good news: Grandma’s old metal percolator basket will filter out the diterpenes almost as effectively as do the new generation of filtering drip coffee makers.

What if you mix your coffee up from instants? No problem. Analyses of 19 different instant coffees marketed in Europe, the United States, and North Africa — including 6 decaffeinated brands — turned up only “minimal” quantities of the diterpenes in the brewed drinks.

That doesn’t mean that some forms of coffee are completely innocuous. A study conducted in California, a few years back, showed that drinking at least two cups a day throughout life can increase the risk that an individual will suffer from osteoporosis in old age.

Tea drinkers, by contrast, can take heart in their habit. [The Younger Daughter will love this. - LG] The diterpenes that caused LDL and other changes in the new study are not found in other hot beverages. Most regular (not herbal) teas also are rich in a class of compounds known as flavonoids. These can largely halt oxidative changes in the blood — changes that can transform dietary fats into artery-clogging plaque.

References:
Barrett-Connor, E., J.C. Chang, and S.L. Edelstein. 1994. Coffee-associated osteoporosis offset by daily milk consumption. Journal of the American Medical Association 271(Jan. 26):280.

Urgert, R., et al. 1996. Comparison of effect of cafetière and filtered coffee on serum concentrations of liver aminotransferases and lipids: Six month randomized controlled trial. British Medical Journal 313(Nov. 30):8.

Urgert, R., et al. 1995. Levels of the cholesterol-elevating diterpenes cafestol and kahweol in various coffee brews. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 43(August):2167.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 19 Jan 2009, 08:33 pm »
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

So what's your advise on coffee makers? :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

boead

« Reply #17 on: 19 Jan 2009, 08:53 pm »

Cheers,
Robin

I don’t know but I’d guess its all in perspective. What has decades of living/working in an office, breathing and eating foul air and junk food, and well all the marijuana I’ve smoked done to me? Then there are all those synthetic highs I’ve enjoyed.  :o
How concerned should I be over an increase in diterpenes and kahweol?  :duh:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 19 Jan 2009, 09:06 pm »

Cheers,
Robin

I don’t know but I’d guess its all in perspective. What has decades of living/working in an office, breathing and eating foul air and junk food, and well all the marijuana I’ve smoked done to me? Then there are all those synthetic highs I’ve enjoyed.  :o
How concerned should I be over an increase in diterpenes and kahweol?  :duh:

So you got nothing. Go smoke a doobie. :smoke: 8)

Cheers,
Robin

bummrush

« Reply #19 on: 19 Jan 2009, 10:58 pm »
Capresso makes a good coffee maker,Krups used to make a kind of European steam pressured brewing system that make a killer cup of coffee without the mess of french press grit in the cup,its discontinued but you can find the moka brew on ebay,and never skimp of the amount of coffee you use when making a pot.