Re: RED, RED WINE!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: RED, RED WINE! (Great Bargain)
« Reply #140 on: 10 Feb 2017, 01:01 am »
I'm also a fan of the Montepulciano d'Abruzzos, but especially the reserves (when you can find them).
But most of all, I really want to be at your next New Years Eve party!  Those are some seriously nice wines.
Having said that, on the Y2K New Year's Eve party, I opened a 1900 Madeira that a friend and I went halves on.  Stunning one hundred year old wine. 

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #141 on: 13 Nov 2020, 02:07 pm »
If there is any silver lining at all to this COVID environment, one has to be that more on line wine deals are out there than ever before.

Scored one of my best wine deals -- a case of 2018 Prisoner Red Blend for $27.52 per bottle after taxes and shipping.  Got it with free shipping and 15% off Vivino coupon.  The seller wouldn't ship for weeks but a call to Vivino has them shipping out today.   :wine:

There is a bit of love/hate relationship with this perennial fruit bomb but no one denies that it's an American classic -- opulent, hedonistic and over the top.  You won't find any tortured, nuanced sophistication here, but that's OK.   It will be perfect with a juicy 32 oz cowboy bone in ribeye.

What great deals have you found and what are drinking now?

vinyl_lady

« Reply #142 on: 13 Nov 2020, 03:11 pm »
Rim, I hope you and your family are well. Hard to believe how old Rachel is. An amazing young woman.

I like Prisoner, but you’re right, it doesn’t go with everything. I was able to score a case of 2015 Inglenook cab through my country club for $26.67/bottle. Also picked up a case of Conundrum Red Blend for $12/bottle through my club. I find this to be a very drinkable blend.

Other wines I am enjoying right now are Archery Summit Pinot Noirs and Long Shadows Chester Kidder.

Cheers

SoCalWJS

« Reply #143 on: 13 Nov 2020, 04:32 pm »
The one we found that was a great deal was a Costco "Kirkland Signature" Stag's Leap Cab that was about $25/bottle. We picked up 2. Unfortunately we didn't try it immediately. When we finally opened it and had it with a steak dinner, we were both highly impressed. Went back to our local Costco to pick up some more. it was gone. Talked to the wine guy and he kind of smiled. It disappeared from Costco quickly. There wasn't a ton of it in the first place and apparently word spread pretty quick. Drove to our only other nearby Costco - sold out also.

Still kicking myself over that one. Yet another reminder to self: If you get Wine at Costco, try it quickly because it may not be there long.

:slap:

twitch54

« Reply #144 on: 13 Nov 2020, 06:09 pm »
The one we found that was a great deal was a Costco "Kirkland Signature" Stag's Leap Cab that was about $25/bottle. We picked up 2. Unfortunately we didn't try it immediately. When we finally opened it and had it with a steak dinner, we were both highly impressed. Went back to our local Costco to pick up some more. it was gone. Talked to the wine guy and he kind of smiled. It disappeared from Costco quickly. There wasn't a ton of it in the first place and apparently word spread pretty quick. Drove to our only other nearby Costco - sold out also.

Still kicking myself over that one. Yet another reminder to self: If you get Wine at Costco, try it quickly because it may not be there long.

agreed, did the same thing recently @ Costco with the same results as you !

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #145 on: 13 Nov 2020, 06:54 pm »
I wonder which winery made that one.

There is one Kirkland wine that is still there and is a great deal.  It's not red but Kirkland Champagne is a great deal at $19.95.  It compares to $30-35 champagne any day. 

I started buying it as a tailgating bubbly but I began serving at my house with fancy meals.   Manuel Janisson sources grapes from all over to make the wine.  Wines from his own vineyard with Janisson label are $50 and over.   I presume he uses the same methode Champenoise from sourced grapes.  By law, they still have to be from the Champagne to be called one. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #146 on: 13 Nov 2020, 09:43 pm »
It's been a while since I found a really good wine at a good price.  A few years back I bought La Rioja Alta at about $50.  It's still a good value at $60.  I've found lots of decent table wines at Trader Joes, a little Rhone and a drinkable chianti for about $6
But my coming Christmas present, a Coravin system, has me excited.  I can take a small pour of many of my older wines, without opening the bottle.  I stocked up on several 1985 ports when my daughter was born, and several are still in the cellar.  And I can sample some of my older Riojas to see if they're still vibrant.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #147 on: 14 Nov 2020, 04:15 pm »

I tried that some time ago. On your recommendation of course. It was quite a deal as I recall. One of my favorite wineries is having an inside deal on two of their wines. Matrix 2018 Russian River Pinot $24.99 and Matrix 2018 Nunes Vineyard Russian River Pinot $34.99. The RR blend from the area needs a little time to age but the Nunes is drinkable right now. It I s a little soft but very complex for the money.

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #148 on: 14 Nov 2020, 05:27 pm »

Been there done that!  Now when I see a Kirkland wine from an AVA like that I’ll buy enough bottles to hold me for a while. My feeling is that given the ‘exclusivity’ of a known high quality AVA every winery in that area will likely be striving to create a high quality product and even the juice they sell to Costco will be better than decent.  If it’s not it becomes a BBQ wine.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #149 on: 14 Nov 2020, 09:52 pm »

I tried that some time ago. On your recommendation of course. It was quite a deal as I recall. One of my favorite wineries is having an inside deal on two of their wines. Matrix 2018 Russian River Pinot $24.99 and Matrix 2018 Nunes Vineyard Russian River Pinot $34.99. The RR blend from the area needs a little time to age but the Nunes is drinkable right now. It I s a little soft but very complex for the money.

Steve -

I like my Pinots a bit on the "bolder" side, and as I recall the stuff up in your neck of the woods has a bit more "substance" than what we have down here. We liked that Pinot we got at MacRostie winery that you and Bruce recommended on our last trip up there. Is either of the Matrix' in that category?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #150 on: 14 Nov 2020, 10:55 pm »
We recently went to the Daou winery with some friends (separate cars - thanks Covid!) who are members there. We were going to work out a bit of a swap with them. We are members at Opolo and they have friends who are fond of a couple of their Red blends (Rhapsody & Fusion ), so we buy some for them at good prices and then our friends were going to buy a couple of bottles of the good Daou at their member prices and work out the difference. (hope that made sense...)

We got there and it wasn't anywhere nearly as crowded as usual (Thanks Covid!) and we got excellent service. I was sooooooo looking forward to their "Eye of the Falcon" as well as the "Soul of the Lion" (out of our price range). Got our pours and closed my eyes as I prepared to inhale that fantastic aroma. Hmmmmmmmmm.........."this doesn't seem quite the same" I thought to myself. Pretty sure this was the 2017 Vintage. Pretty sure it was the 2016 I had enjoyed so much. Swirled it, tasted it. Unimpressive. Waited a bit and swirled a bunch more, but still the same. Everybody else pretty well thought the same. (the new "Soul of the Lion" was OUTSTANDING). Maybe it needs a bit longer to achieve that taste I like so much  :scratch:.

Asked and found out the 2016 was sold out, BUT, they had a couple of Magnums available.

After much debate we got a bottle. Hope the 2016 is the one we liked so much. Maybe for Christmas dinner.